Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering - and it does not effect me - If you put yourself through a full time academy - and then look for a job and cant get one because of various reasons - how long is the academy good for if you are not working full time??? And if you attend inservice training does that matter?? When does it come to the point where you have to go back and retake the academy. There is a guy trying to get on our department and lets say he has "connections" but he never has worked full time since he graduated the academy atleast 5 years ago - but the last 2 years has attended inservice training??? So is he even elidgeable for a job - saying he is academy trained??? Im on full time and thankful of that - but our intermittents are fighting for 1 position if it is not cut by a failing over-ride!! Thanks for any info any one can give me....

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,658 Posts
JB1971 put himself through last year and I believe he said five (5) years or go again.

·
Subscribing Member
2,280 Posts
It is 5years without being employed by a police department. Even if you got hurt and was working for a police department and was out on disability 5years is the magic number. :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wow- 5 years is the majoc number - but it sounds like if you find a department to sponsor you for inservice - you are ok??? Just wondering- this guy feels he is a shoe in because he is academy trained-but over 5 years ago - never been employed as a full time officer - but did attend inservice this year.... HMMMM

·
Subscribing Member
4,316 Posts
This is what I got right from the MCJTC HQ. I was looking at federal law enforcement and asked if the academy would still be good if I worked for the DEA. They said that it would not be good. They also said that as long as you work as police officer, perdiem, full time, part time you are all set. In-service is not mandated and has nothing to do with keeping your certification. It's police employment. So even if you are an auxiliary the academy would be good indefinitely as long as you don't have a five year break.

·
Subscribing Member
2,280 Posts
Yes thats right JB1971,
your employment satus is the most important. In Service Training is nothing. In fact in service training is not even required to keep your police powers. If you could get hired by a department and never go to in service training and it would not effect your police status so long as you attended a police academy. Employment with a police department part - time, full time or reserve is the only thing required. Brockton Police has a case with a guy who has been out for almost five years but will be getting his job back because the five years are not up yet. It was in March 2003 Brockton Enterpise.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,658 Posts
BHCCPD said:
Yes thats right JB1971,
your employment satus is the most important. In Service Training is nothing. In fact in service training is not even required to keep your police powers. If you could get hired by a department and never go to in service training and it would not effect your police status so long as you attended a police academy. Employment with a police department part - time, full time or reserve is the only thing required. Brockton Police has a case with a guy who has been out for almost five years but will be getting his job back because the five years are not up yet. It was in March 2003 Brockton Enterpise.
Yeah JB1971 right again! (factoid) Imagine that? I heard the Brockton guy coming back is being assigned to cover the Par.............Hey! get your hands off ARggg
:-# :-#

1 - 7 of 7 Posts