Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the MSP does not "require" applicants to have a degree. However, is this true when it comes time to hire?

In reality, can one expect to be hired without a degree?

Is a CJ degree looked upon more favorably than a Computer Science degree? I understand the CJ degree helps in terms of the Quin Bill, but I am just talking about the hiring process.

Thanks,
Ryan

·
Registered
109 Posts
just go to school now and start your cj degree, the way things are going you will have a degree by the time they actually hire. :sb:

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
In reality, it makes no difference if you have a degree or not. The job specifies no degree required and that is how it is. I happen to have a degree in psychology, not CJ, but it didn't make any difference to the job. (of course I'm not getting Quinn bill, though). I'm sure the hiring board takes into account every factor when hiring (previous experience, military, education, etc.) and makes their decision based on the person as as a whole. If you have a degree in CS, and your waiting for the 77th, don't worry about it. :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Killjoy, are you a trooper? You sound as though you have been through the process.

I got a 93 on the test, so I'm not in line for the 77th :( ...more like 78 or 79th...God willing. [-o<

I have been working on a CS degree off and on for some time now, but I want to maximize my chances of being hired. So I was wondering if I should finish the CS degree, or change gears and go for CJ. :rd:

Thanks,
Ryan

·
Registered
144 Posts
To follow up on Killjoy's post, it really doesn't matter if you have a degree or what your degree is in when you refer to the hiring process. Unlike smaller departments, the subjectiveness is close to eliminated in the MSP process. It begins with passing the written test. The higher the score the better. They start with the highest scores then eliminate at each level. If you don't pass, you don't come back. Its that simple. The PT test, lately, pass/fail. They may have gone back to something similar to the Cooper Standard but that debate is another forum. You get your backround done, "Recommend/Not Recommend". You go for your oral interview, Pass/Fail. Each time a few more people are eliminated. If they don't end up with the # they want to start the next class they go back to the next highest scores and put some more through the process. None of this requires a degree of any type and CJ doesn't matter. If you get a great score on the test, are in shape, and have been a good little boy or girl, you're going to the Academy. What you do once you're there is a whole 'nother story!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:pc:

...well...yep, a truly indefensible oversight!

Thanks to all for the insight and humbling skill assessment.. :spell:

Ryan

·
Registered
144 Posts
I apologize for phrasing it that way. What I meant is, within the MSP there has been much discussion over whether they would go back to the Cooper Standard instead of the Gepheart/Landy Test. It would take way too much time to go into the details of it especially on this board. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I do not know what standard they are currently using. 1996 was the last time they used the Cooper.

·
Registered
5 Posts
In reality? If your married your spouse has the upper hand...
I know this guy who's wife had a restraining order out on him, and the trooper doing the background check, asked her point blank, if she felt safe with him becoming a trooper...He ought to be thanking her for the rest of his life because she said all the right things...This was in the mid 90's so things might have changed by now.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
It was Cooper when I went throught the PT test...but I was a subject in the G/L study years ago!

The degree is of no consequence: Killjoy, get your a-double into a masters program! 25%, baby! :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.