Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live out in the country, so we have very few public utilities.

Options out here are fuel oil, propane, coal, wood, electric, pellet stove, solar...and any other odd ball thing out there.

In recent years we've just used forced hot water, heated by fuel oil. I've had a pellet stove and just recently started using it for heating the house...man it's great. We have a small house 1700 sq ft and this little stove heats the whole damn thing...

By country, this is the back yard

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just put a pellet stove in last year and it heats my 2200 square foot home with no problems. Cost per day to run this machine is only one to two bucks and it is clean as hell. I'll never go back to paying for oil again.

·
Subscribing Member
1,209 Posts
Forced hot water burning oil. Supplimented( mainly for show) by a nice big fire place in the liveing room. :wink: Ladies dig a man who can tame a fire and cuddle with them...........ohhhhh yeahhh. :wink: :wink: :wub:

·
Registered
193 Posts
The wood pellets are pretty cool. A class I took in college for a project we wrote a marketing plan for a wood pellet stove company its in NH I cannot remember the name of it but it was a great product. We had to sample the ash and all kinds of crazy stuff was a lot of fun!

Natural gas three zone forcedhot water

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah the pellet stove is a great thing. It came with the house and we never really used it, except for decoration. Then we tried it for a late cold snap two years ago and figured out that it really does work and work well.
Pellets are $200 a ton delivered and last year we used "mixed" heat oil/pellet...and had half a ton left over...this year we seem to be on the mark for a ton or so for heating.

One bag will do 2-3 days...so I figure 100-150 days worth of heating.

Just put a pellet stove in last year and it heats my 2200 square foot home with no problems. Cost per day to run this machine is only one to two bucks and it is clean as hell. I'll never go
back to paying for oil again.

·
Subscribing Member
944 Posts
My house is heated with gas through forced hot water baseboards. my house was renovated like 4 years ago my landlord said so the second floor stays really nice and warm. The first floor though stays a little cooler so i put covers on the in wall AC unit and insulated the windows and put on the storm windows on the screen doors. After doing that the heating cost went down like $20 a month compared to last month. We keep the thermostat at like 65.

I'll tell ya one thing though if I could have one of those pellet stoves I'd get one in a heartbeat. Those things are nice and like it was said before they are dirt cheap to run.

Scott :pc:

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,754 Posts
VOR @ 01 Dec 2004 00:21 said:
Gas heat, gas hot water, gas range, gas dryer. .
Hope someday you don't come home and find your house blown to matchsticks. I'd rather sleep with nuclear weapons than have gas in my home. But I'm just a tiny bit paranoid about stuff like that. Of course you can fart all you want and blame the cats!
:wink:
FTR=Oil fired forced hot water and tankless hot water. 12 years with no complaints

·
Registered
193 Posts
I stand corrected it as New England Wood Pellet Co. we did the project on. Just found a pellet sample in the basement.

·
Subscribing Member
944 Posts
GMACK24 @ Wed 01 Dec said:
Forced Hot Air via Oil.
So far so good....................
House built 1918
Yeah so far so good except the dent in the wallet for the oil. How much are they charging for oil now anyway?

Scott :pc:

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Oil fired cast iron boiler: hot water cast iron baseboard plumbed in "split venturi" layout.

Bought my lot of oil for $1.65 a gallon...

I'm jealous, VOR, wish I had NG! I don't like storing 250 gallons of carcinogens in my basement. I use LP for cooking...very expensive to buy small amounts...plus the annual $50.00 "courtesy charge" for the tank.

G

·
I like the pellet stove idea, but where in the hell would I store a ton of pellets? I would have to go to the RR and buy a coal car. :lol:

·
Subscribing Member
308 Posts
Boston House Gas by Hot Water Baseboards gas for cooking

Cape House Oil by Baseboard (NO gas lines in the CCNS) electric for cooking

Price wise it all seems to work out in the end both bills just go up not down

·
Registered
193 Posts
I like the pellet stove idea, but where in the hell would I store a ton of pellets? I would have to go to the RR and buy a coal car. :lol:
When I did the project the company would deliver a ton like a cord of wood and it would remain outside. They were developing a storage tank like an oil tank, where the truck would connect to your home and through a chute or pipe fill your tank with pellets. I never followed up on the companies progress so I am unsure if storage tanks were introduced.

Posted Thu Dec 02, 00:40:

Pellet companies deliver a ton of pellet similar to a cord of wood which would remain covered outdoors until needed. NE Wood Pellets was working on marketing storage tanks like an oil tank that would be installed in your basement and a delivery truck would fill via a chute or pipe from outdoors. I do not know if the latter exsists now as I never followed up on the companies progress

·
Registered
72 Posts
A ton of pellets is roughly 50 40lb bags and takes up less space than a cord of wood. I have a ton delivered in the fall and keep it outside covered with a tarp. It's not too bad going outside every couple of days to grab a bag. The best part of the pellet stove is the low ash return. From my experience, a 40lb bag of pellets produces less than a quart of ash. I just wait for the stove to cool down every couple of days and suck the ash out with my shopvac. Real simple, real clean, real inexpensive.

·
Registered
105 Posts
big dog your right its much cheaper the more you buy I buy 2 pallets last me the season and then some put them near the back door and reach out and grab a bag when I need to SO much cheaper and it looks nice and keeps the place very warm !!!

·
Subscribing Member
1,209 Posts
Modern railroad hopper cars haul 143 tons max cap.
So, 143 ton of pellets x $200 to the ton = $28,600.
Plus railroad transportation fee.......$ 1.25 per mile. (Average)
The average railroads car journey is 400 miles , eqauls $500.
Total cost would be $29,100 get your pellets.

So that rail car would equal 7,150 bags.
Burning one bag every 3 days would turn into 21,450 days of heating. 8O

So, if pellets stay at a stable price it would cost you $ 1.35 a day.

So who is ready for me to build a railroad sideing into your yard. :lol:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Forced hot water, fed by an oil burner that just took it's 2nd crap in about 2 weeks :x Those wood stoves are looking mighty nice right about now.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.