Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you all carry your mag pouch's? Horizontally or vertically? If hor izotally do you have them on the same side as you holster or on the other side?

G

·
I've always carried mine vertical opposite the holster, guess I just got used to that, If I do pop the snap in a scuffle, they won't fall out as easily.

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
Unless you reload your magazines with your strong side hand (you shouldn't, your pistol should be in that paw) , you should not wear magazines on the same side as your duty holster. It slows down reloading as you have to reach across your body to grab the magazines. Also, in my opinion, wearing magazines horizontally is bad idea; it makes drawing a fresh mag that much more awkward (and slower, I've never seen anyone with horizontally carried magazines reload faster than someone with vertically carried magazines). Also, some cops might want to rethink carrying their pagers or other gear clipped onto their magazine holder; wear it that way to range and see how easy it is to reload quickly.

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
Well said...I really think the horizontal wear issue came about as a matter of comfort more than anything else.

Unless you reload your magazines with your strong side hand (you shouldn't, your pistol should be in that paw) , you should not wear magazines on the same side as your duty holster. It slows down reloading as you have to reach across your body to grab the magazines. Also, in my opinion, wearing magazines horizontally is bad idea; it makes drawing a fresh mag that much more awkward (and slower, I've never seen anyone with horizontally carried magazines reload faster than someone with vertically carried magazines). Also, some cops might want to rethink carrying their pagers or other gear clipped onto their magazine holder; wear it that way to range and see how easy it is to reload quickly.

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
Empty gun, no mags and one round in my shirt pocket. Just like my uncle Barney. :wink:

·
Subscribing Member
308 Posts
now carry mine horizontal on the holster side. I used to carry horizontal on the opposite side. Tried horizontal on the holster side last time I went to the range, and I found that type of motion works better for me while staying on target. I cant agree more with the person that stated dont clip anything on your mag pouches.

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
now carry mine horizontal on the holster side. I used to carry horizontal on the opposite side. Tried horizontal on the holster side last time I went to the range, and I found that type of motion works better for me while staying on target. I cant agree more with the person that stated dont clip anything on your mag pouches.
Vertical, opposite holster and yes I am guilty of the NEXTEL clipped to the mag pouch :oops: Usually only when loading an unloading the cruiser, most of the time it's clipped to the visor. (more than once I have had to go back and retrieve it from the side of the road after after a brisk response to a call) :?

·
Subscribing Member
308 Posts
Vertical, opposite holster and yes I am guilty of the NEXTEL clipped to the mag pouch Usually only when loading an unloading the cruiser, most of the time it's clipped to the visor. (more than once I have had to go back and retrieve it from the side of the road after after a brisk response to a call)

Gil,

Perfect solution for the nextel mag pouch syndrome is the nylon phone holder right after the magazine holder works much better than the clip on visor mode :D

·
Subscribing Member
583 Posts
Dept. policy requires us to wear our mags vertically on the opposite side of the holster.

[Edited to add] One interesting lesson that I quickly learned on the range: don't wear your OC holder right next to your spare mags. My first few reloads I managed to grab the OC canister instead of a spare mag. :oops:

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
Edited to add] One interesting lesson that I quickly learned on the range: don't wear your OC holder right next to your spare mags. My first few reloads I managed to grab the OC canister instead of a spare mag.
Don't feel bad, I've seen officers at the range try to load their pagers into the magazine well...

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
...most of the time it's clipped to the visor. (more than once I have had to go back and retrieve it from the side of the road after after a brisk response to a call) :?
Same here... it does go projectile well doesn't it? I've also seen my clipboard fly out the window too... nothing like driving along and "gee, whats that noise?" and see my hubcab rolling next to me...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts