Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Grim reaper
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"A rider initiative buried in House bill 3885 has provided millions to the State Police for a new building. In a late night session of the State's legislature, $3.1 million dollars was appropriated to DCAM for the revamping of a former MDC garage and maintainence facility into a central State Police lockup in Boston. The site will include 45 cells, a seven bay sallyport system, and central monitoring. The proposal was drafted after officials in the MTA and MassPort convinced several key members of the House Ways and Means Committee that a central holding facility was needed for the new state police substation serving the tunnels and the Logan Airport barracks. This site will also serve those Troopers stationed at the Boston, Milton, South Boston barracks. Staffing for the new lockup will require 70 - 80 Troopers and may force the Legislature to fund another academy class. This site will reportedly be part of Troop H. The bill also includes purchasing 4 new transport vans. The MBTA will also use the site since it furnished buses to be used as larger transport vehicles. Several Massachusetts' taxpayer watchdog groups have pointed to this bill as a waste of money while other necessary programs are being cut. "

how many people would this upset? :shock:

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
Yikes! I guess the sheriffs will have something to bitch at us about!

·
Registered
144 Posts
I can't see why people would say this is a waste of money. We're all in law inforcement. More cells to lock people up the better. What makes the Sheriffs think they are the only ones that can hold prisoners. Besides when ever we call the Sheriffs to take a prisoner we have to wait too long. Who better to hold our prisoners than us. We know them better. We have probably had multiple dealings with them. I'm sure most tax payers will be more than willing to pay for duplication of services. Most of the Troopers are not happy with what they are doing and are looking to branch out and take on more responsiblity. Why not, were the STATE police? Just check the laws. It says we can hold prisoners. Nothing says that the Sheriffs are the only ones that can hold prisoners. We can probably get some of the grant money that they could have gotten for the same things. It will only take us a few years to get up to speed but I really think we can do this. :rofl:

Anyone else?

(For those who can't tell this is dripping with sarcasm) Check out Troopers v Flynn if you don't understand.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,658 Posts
Oh Jeezus!
Just when the Us v. Them was beginning to subside! I'm running for the bomb shelter on this one!
:shock:

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'd rather have the sheriffs hold the prisoners! Holding prisoners SUCKS! Check'em every hour, feed 'em, put up with their shit. I'd much rather ferry them off to the local HOC after booking and be done with them. This would keep the sheriffs at the jail with perhaps a better working relationship between the two departments. Just an aside to this; at SP Foxboro, NCSD personnel are used to transport prisoners for us at Gillette Stadium events. We pinch'em, they transport 'em back to the barracks for booking. It is a relationship that has worked extremely well for a few years now. They have always been proficient and professional and allow us to keep more assets at the venue. rhl

G

·
Doesn't the MBTA Police already have about 15-20 cells in their Southampton St HQ? I mean how many prisoners does the Troopers and Massport PD lock up daily? Most if not all get bonded out pretty quickly anyway. I am sure the other barracks will add a few "guests" to the mix as well.

I am all for locking people up but let's make it a central facility so that all agencies in Boston and Suffolk County (S/P, MBTA, Massport, Housing, Muni's, Winthrop, Chelsea, Revere, Boston PD, Colleges, Wackenhut, Constables, D'oh! #-o ) can use it. Let it be run by the Sheriff for all I care.

For now, most of the BPD districts are shutting down a booking area. For example, E-5 and E-18 booking areas are shut down leaving 2 extra guys to patrol. E-13 books the prisoners from these districts and once that station is full, E-5 opens back up. It's not a perfect system but it's the only one in place for now.

Now we have untold millions being spent on duplication of services.....AGAIN. Weren't the French & Electric Blue types pissed about their STOP Teams being copied by the regional Ninja Turtle teams? Seems to be the shoe is going to be dropped on the other foot.

I agree that the 45 cells may be necessary for the upcoming DNC boondoggle that Menino & Kennedy has brought us. Let's just get this house in order so we have ONE general lock up for Suffolk County.

G

·
Hey, sure why not MSP is a multy facited job, why not play the role of the Sheriffs Dept.

I can see it now Troopers in with there Breeches,Boots and Campaign hats doing Tier checks, passing out meals for prisoners and driving French & Electric blue vans transporting prisoners. Sounds like my tax dollars at work.

And lets not forget the MBTA will be housed using the facility in junction w/MSP.Could it be just one step closer to seeing a Campaign at the bus stop checking for valid bus passes?

Maybe next they'll place the Troopers in the Toll booths on the Pike to collect the tolls (similar to Massport guys on the Tobin).

(Notice the Sarcasim)

Or even better yet why dont they throw a few Troopers in BDU's some w/k-9's some w/ Hk's in Filenes and Macy's to do shop lifting patrol, Tis the season for shoplifters, it might be a nice deterent for the would be shoplifter.

AHHH Hell, Just merge every Dept into the MSP give everyone a French/Electric blue cruiser to park in the driveway toss'm a campaign hat and just have one MO FO huge police dept, this way there no more union issues, juristdiction issues, uniform issues, benefit issues, Turtle issues etc etc etc................................

To hell w/diversisty duplicate everything, just make ONE BIG HAPPY FAMILY of LE Brothers and Sisters.

(Loaded w/ Sarcasim)

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
Hunter; we don't wear our campaign covers with the breeches and boots; we wear our garrison covers. (unless we're in full class A). Also, good spelling....though I agree with the principal, I became a Trooper to patrol the roads, not babysit prisoners.

G

·
Killjoy275 said:
Hunter; we don't wear our campaign covers with the breeches and boots; we wear our garrison covers.quote]

I'll make note of that.

[/quote Killjoy] Also good spelling...quote]

Tanks for the spel chek.

Killroy,

Thats my point, being a CO is not what they where hired for. Although I do think a central lockup sounds like a great concept. However wasnt this tossed around awhile back with regarding the land next to the SouthBay jail a few years back? I believe it was.I think the Sheriff's Dept should run it not MSP, but it should be used for ALL LE in the area.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,658 Posts
HousingCop said:
Now we have untold millions being spent on duplication of services.....AGAIN. Weren't the French & Electric Blue types pissed about their STOP Teams being copied by the regional Ninja Turtle teams? Seems to be the shoe is going to be dropped on the other foot.

I agree that the 45 cells may be necessary for the upcoming DNC boondoggle that Menino & Kennedy has brought us. Let's just get this house in order so we have ONE general lock up for Suffolk County.
As usual your penchant for oversimplifying is showing:

It's 3.1 Million, not "untold millions". Your "shoe on the other foot" analogy
is weak. Where was it shown that SPAM lobbied for this? You just keep coming up with the same Anti-MSP rhetoric interspersed with generally negative comments about somebody else in L.E.
:HS:

However,

Every once in a blue moon, your Dr. Jekyl shows and you make a good statement (i.e. Chaos in Weston)

And yes, I do like to kiss Trooper ass. Know why? Cuz they don't have boils, carbuncles, and veneral warts on their butts like you!
:sh:

G

·
MCCPD61,

Show me one public construction job in this state within the last 50 years that has come under budget and / or on time and I will kiss your boil ridden, carbuncles, and veneral warts diseased ass in Macy's front window during Christmas shopping season.

Yes, 3.1 million will blosson into 5.5 million overnight with the hiring of "skilled professional laborers" by the low bidding contractor which has to be accepted per the Pacheco Law. The building will be crooked and the roof will leak within the year but the fat-cat contractor will soak us taxpayers, AGAIN.

Remember how much the CAT project was slated to cost waaaay back in the day? Nowhere near the BILLIONS of dollars it has cost us so far. Who cares you can make it to East Boston in 3 minutes from Southie? The only thing we use the TWT for is to order good Italian food and have it back in the squadroom steaming hot. Is that worth all the billions spent? No way. Like ex- Speaker George Kaverian said in the 80's "If we want the artery depressed, why don't we just have Dukakis talk to it?"

I'd love to see the Troopers get their lock-up. Think of all the disease encrusted junkies I can hump over from the Pine St Shelter who have a shoplifting warrant from back in 1992. See how they like it when they get a nice warm cup of urine thrown at them from between the bars. Better yet, a nice Baby Ruth off the campaign hat would look great on video.

I do have spasms of wit and sarcasm on here. Those of you who can see it right in this post know what I am talking about. We need a COUNTYWIDE LOCK UP, run by the Suffolk County Sheriff's Office. Not what they have instituted here. That's what the Sheriff gets paid to do here in Mass, guard prisoners.

If you knew who the hell I was, you would know that I have a relative who was a very high ranking MSP member for over 40 years and retired just as the merge took place. He said the watered down version of the MSP just didn't sound right to him so he pulled the pin. I have nothing but respect for them but once in a while they need a good jab to keep them on their toes in here. Sorry, just my opinion. :sb:

·
Registered
134 Posts
I thought the state police were hurting for troopers. Now they want to put a class through so they can pay them top money to babysit prisoners in a central lockup? Does this seem foolish to anyone else? This state just amazes me each day how more and more it gets f*#ked up. Everyone wants to do everyone elses job. I think some thought needs to be put into who does what. Sheriffs patrolling, state police corrections officers, what next? Local police performing court security?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I wish there was a way to put the threads side by side because the same people who thought the sheriffs out on patrol was a great idea are the people who think the MSP watching prisoners is a bad idea. They are using the same arguments those opposing the sheriffs patrols to argue MSP should not get into corrections.
People, take a step back and look at what is happening. MSP does not want to get into babysitting prisoners. In fact we do everything in our power to get them out of the barracks so this doesn't happen now. The common theme I think we should all adopt is to do our job. The one we signed up to do. Don't go looking to do someone elses until you can do yours without any flaws.
I, too would like to know who the idiot was that proposed this rider?

·
Grim reaper
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
mpdcam:
I thought the state police were hurting for troopers. Now they want to put a class through so they can pay them top money to babysit prisoners in a central lockup? Does this seem foolish to anyone else? This state just amazes me each day how more and more it gets f*#ked up. Everyone wants to do everyone elses job. I think some thought needs to be put into who does what. Sheriffs patrolling, state police corrections officers, what next? Local police performing court security?
msp357 said:
I wish there was a way to put the threads side by side because the same people who thought the sheriffs out on patrol was a great idea are the people who think the MSP watching prisoners is a bad idea. They are using the same arguments those opposing the sheriffs patrols to argue MSP should not get into corrections.
People, take a step back and look at what is happening. MSP does not want to get into babysitting prisoners. In fact we do everything in our power to get them out of the barracks so this doesn't happen now. The common theme I think we should all adopt is to do our job. The one we signed up to do. Don't go looking to do someone elses until you can do yours without any flaws.
I, too would like to know who the idiot was that proposed this rider?
Two of the best posts regarding this subject. This is EXACTLY the point.
The arguments against this MSP "bill" are the same reasons as to why sheriffs should stay in corrections and let the Police work the streets. If more cops are needed then hire more cops. Don't give the job to someone else........

For those people against this bill yet supporting Sheriffs expanding into a police function, you've been PUNKED. :wink: This bill NEVER EXISTED. It is pure fiction, invented in my own mind, done to show how ridiculous ANY idea of shifting from "the job you were hired to do" to an area you weren't hired for.

·
Registered
145 Posts
For those people against this bill yet supporting Sheriffs expanding into a police function, you've been PUNKED. :wink: This bill NEVER EXISTED. It is pure fiction, invented in my own mind, done to show how ridiculous ANY idea of shifting from "the job you were hired to do" to an area you weren't hired for.[/quote]

Ohhh, SNAP!

G

·
USMC,

Although I dont agree with your views all the time, I have to say that was pretty slick, although I wasnt really buying it when I read it. Something about it just didnt sound make sense, hence my reason for such a sarcastic response to it. But I have to admit it was defintily a great way to bring out a good point.

TO EVERYONE HERE:

That being said, I have to voice my opinon. If I'm wrong here someone please let me know.I know I cant be the only one to notice this.But it seems more so now than in the past alot of the subject/topics here somehow seem to always turn into a pissing match you know "my dick is bigger than yours sort of thing" . And honestly its some what disgusting to see that this happening.

It doesnt seem to matter what the topic is, Sheriffs, Constables, State, Municipal, Campus.fOR Christ sake guys and gals are we not all adults here? I cant point the finger a any of you without taking responsability for my own actions, I'm just as guilty because I post replies to the topics and sometimes I'm not so polite about it at times either.

I'm not going get into detail here because I think we all know whats going on and you guys get the jist of what I'm saying.Its obvious we all have our own opinons which are subject to another persons interpitation of that, and I can only speak for myself here but I try to exress my point the best I can and hope you guys can see what I'm saying. I think it would be foolish to think that we would all agree on everything and get along great, a little heated debate is good once in awhile.But at the end of the day we all hope we get home safe to enjoy another.

Not every position or aspect in LE is the same and that coupled with our own views and opinons and experiences is what we bring to the table( Bulliten Board) here.

PLAIN AND SIMPLY PUT its not us against them or vise versa. We are all on the same team and we do this work because we love it and to bicker about amongst each other is counter productive and says nothing for ones character.

I'm completely baffled by how so many people on this board are always so concerned about what the other guy is doing. And alot of members of this BB are guilty of being so concerned with a job that is not there own and there quick to pass judgement on that person or there position. I hear alot of "I can do this on my job" and "I can do that" "Can you do that on your job?". It sounds child like but this is whats going on.

You State guys are Guilty of it, you municipal guy are guilty, you Sheriff guys guilty of it as well as the Campus guys. I know some of you guys know each other and thats cool, but there are alot of people that are members here that dont know a soal on this board. And yet they come on this board to use it for whatever and they read or post here and speak there mind and voice there view/opinon/experience then before anyone notices someones job/character/ has been insulted in some form or fashion. All this happens by people who dont know each other personally and by people who have never even driving thru the guys town that there insulting.

Whether it be MSP/Local/Campus/Sheriff/ Constable doesnt really matter everyone of us deserves respect for just for being people, unless otherwise spoiled.And not one job position deserves more respect than the other,MSP shouldnt get more respect because there state police neither should a Deputy Sheriff over a Constable nor campus police or campus security. That respect is dimishing here onthis board when we go at it with each other and think our job makes us better than the other guys job.

MSP= Respect
Municipal Pd's=Respect
Campus=Respect
Consatbles=Respect
Sheriffs=Respect
Dispatchers=Respect
etc etc etc.........

Not one of the aforementioned deserves more respect than the other, were all apart of the same system thats works in conjunction w/ each others positions wether it be a large role or a small role it all makes it go around, and until an other system replaces or changes that we need to have respect for each other, because agree with each opinons or not were all on the same team and they are all respectable positions w/ the same goals in mind.

Anyway, I hope I didnt insult anyone here that wasnt my intention and if I did I apolgize. I also hope you get were I'm coming from here.

Well I'm done here and I have to be honest w/ you guys this is really sad to see people who are supposedly held to a higher degree in society, degrade others and themselves in the process over WHAT???? Someone else position in the field of LE.

P.S. if the spelling is off, please excuse. And I didnt proof read it either, so go easy on me LOL if its messed up and repetative, but I think you guys (00ps and Gals sorry dunny) know what I'm getting at, I hope.

G

·
Hunter,

Amen brother. I only piss back when pissed on. I sure as hell am going to stand up for myself on here & not take any s#it from a couple of self proclaimed "know it all's". I think we all know who they are. Just my :2c:

:^o
H50
:stupid:
MCCPD61

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.