Homeowners Association Asks Vet to Remove Bumper Stickers | MassCops

Homeowners Association Asks Vet to Remove Bumper Stickers

Discussion in 'Military News' started by CJIS, May 30, 2009.

1. CJIS

CJIS MassCops Member

Homeowners Association Asks Vet to Remove Bumper Stickers

myfoxdfw.com — Frank Larison is a disabled veteran with more than 14 years of service, including more than a year of combat duty in Vietnam. The 58-year-old former Marine now finds himself under attack by his Dallas homeowners association for displaying seven decals on his vehicle supporting the Marine Corps.

WTF is wrong with people First a flag now this!

2. GD

GD MassCops Member

3. 8MORE

8MORE MassCops Angel

His @****** neighbors should thank him for his service, And then mind there own business. If they keep it up,He should invite them to go perform an act of self copulation!

4. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

Woodlands on the Creek II

Royal/Fair Oaks Crossing
    104 Homes
    President – Darenda Hardy
    [email protected]

WOODLANDS II ON THE CREEK ASSOCIATION
    8550 FAIR OAKS XING
    DALLAS, TX
    214-503-8826

5. dvb8786

dvb8786 MassCops Member

What is going on...We can't hang a flag in an office...Or have bumper stickers of our choice ....Don't take down your stickers!!!!!

6. Tuna

Tuna Always entertained

NUTZ

7. Johnny Law

Johnny Law Nemo me impune lacessit Staff Member

Unbelievable.

8. TRPDiesel

TRPDiesel MassCops Member

His answer should be not only NO but HELL NO

9. NewEngland2007

NewEngland2007 Active Member

It sounds like his neighbors all support him, or at least when confronted, they don't want to admit they were the ones who whined. Probably just got some nut bag on the HOA board who doesn't appreciate their country or those who fought for it. I'd guarantee whoever wrote the letter has Obama stickers on their Volvo wagon.

10. HistoryHound

HistoryHound Supporting Member

What is it about these decals that these people don't understand? This man has earned the right to display these on his vehicle or anywhere else that he chooses. Advertising? Seriously, come on people. How many people have seen a car with one of these stickers and thought that it was a recruiting pitch? But, if they are going to consider these decals advertising; then, I would presume all decals & bumper stickers are banned. If these are advertising; then, I guess they also don't allow political bumper stickers, college decals, "My kid is an honor role student at XYZ school" stickers, sports decals and/or any vanity license frame brackets. I would bet money that just about every car in that parking lot has an advertisement on it because I don't know a single dealership that doesn't stick their name somewhere on the car. These people need to find another hobby & leave this guy alone. I really hope there is Marine down there who is also a lawyer that will volunteer his/her services to help this guy tie these idiots up in litigation until they either get a clue or run out of money trying to defend their actions.

11. KozmoKramer

KozmoKramer Administrator Staff Member

Man garbage like this really angers me.
    Any rational person can see those emblems could never be construed as advertising.
    In fact, the only advertising he could do for the Marine Corps is if he had a recruitment bumper sticker with the 1-800-MARINES number. And even if he did, so what?

Displaying the Eagle, Globe and Anchor is no more "advertising" than would be a Freemason displaying his Square & Compass emblem, a Christian with the Jesus Fish, a Homosexual displaying the Rainbow Flag or any of the myriad of bumper stickers representing some cause or organization.

This controversy, is simply a contrived attack on Mr. Larison for displaying that which is not politically correct, namely patriotism and pride in having served.
    The Woodlands on the Creek association should be ashamed of themselves for dishonoring an American hero this way.

12. justanotherparatrooper

justanotherparatrooper Pissin' in liberals cheerio's for 40 years :) Staff Member

If I was him I'd be having a party at my house with like 300 of my best friends(do Marines have friends?)

13. OfficerObie59

OfficerObie59 Public Trough Feeder

In the end, that's what all this boils down to. Patriotism is politically incorrect in the minds of the people who create these news stories.

Yet, these are the same people who feel free to pretend to be patriotic when those symbols are part of a fad, like the car flags of 2001-02, or the yellow ribbon magnets of 2005.

For anyone with real passion behind these symbols, disregard. The other side simply uses them so that they can be thought of as patriotic--as long as being patriotic or supporting the troops is in vouge. When these symbols and the genuine feelings behind them are no longer "cool", they're used to piss off and harass you, other patriots, and heroic war veterans.

14. Johnny Law

As an aside to this thread but related to your above quoted posting, on 9/11/01 I was on duty and working. I went to the city's Veteran's Agent and asked for grave marker flags and explained that I wanted to affix one to my antenna. He thought this a good idea, given the extreme circumstances all of us as Americans were facing that day.

I realize that protocol calls for the flag to be flown on the front fender like the Presidential Limo, but I felt like I had to do something. So I affixed the flag to my cruiser radio antenna and it flew like that the entire shift. It got alot of thumbs up and it improved my morale just a tad, on what was otherwise a dark day for all of us.

The next day when I came in, the flag had been removed from the car and I was told the Capt. had ordered it off. I was incensed, perhaps he would rather I fly the hammer and sickle? To his everlasting credit, the Chief ordered up a set of flag decals with the date and they were placed in the back window. Now that those cars are rotated out of service, none have any flag on them at all.

15. 21 Bravo

21 Bravo New Member

I talked to a guy from Sweeden who said that it's illegal to have the flag on clothing and what not. He also said anyone who dispalyed the flag with pride was labled a Neo-Nazi. We are slowly heading in that direction.

16. justanotherparatrooper

justanotherparatrooper Pissin' in liberals cheerio's for 40 years :) Staff Member

Unless its a Mexican or Pueto Rican flag:DP:

17. OfficerObie59

I'm sure the vast majority of citizens in your uber-lib municipality would favor that over the Stars and Stripes now that it's eight years later.

18. HousingCop

HousingCop Czar of Cyncism and Satire

If I was this guy, I'd take the freshest dogshit that was left on the grass & wipe it on all the doorknobs of the complaining parties. This is disgraceful.

19. Johnny Law

I'm afraid you are right. Anyway, they can eat my shaven ass hairs and kiss my Irish-Italian ass.

20. Sam1974

Sam1974 MassCops Member

there, fixed it for ya!

21. Irish Wampanoag

Irish Wampanoag Subscribing Member

:kiss::uc:
    :kiss::francais: how about flying the frog flag

22. Johnny Law

French kiss, french fries, maybe even french dressing, but I won't even consider that. Isn't it ironic that France has a tough president right now and we have some pushover douche?

23. LGriffin

LGriffin Always Watching

WTF is going on in TEXAS?!!! Seems the State is going to the damn hippies! As far as i'm concerned, Frank Larison should be allowed to drive around with his big harry ass hangin' out the window if he wants. He should be honored, not harassed!

BTW, if you are ever looking to buy or build in a HOA - DON'T!!! They're like little Massachusetts making the dumbest decisions imaginable to spend your HOA dues.

24. OfficerObie59

We should get him a set of those plastic testicles that hang from the trailer hitch and paint them red and gold.

The guy is probably the only one in the complex with any balls.

25. csauce777

csauce777 Supporting Member

Below is the email I sent to Ms. Hardy...

DARENDA HARDY, PRESIDENT
    WOODLANDS II ON THE CREEK ASSOCIATION
    8550 FAIR OAKS XING
    DALLAS, TX

Dear Darenda Hardy,

I'm writing in response to the recent article regarding the order from your board for the removal of United State Marine stickers from the vehicle of one of your neighbors. Based on my understanding of the news article, your office believes that Mr. Frank Larison should remove all of his military decals from his vehicle, based on the fact that advertising is not allowed under HOA rules.

First off, the fact that you are ordering the removal of stickers placed on one's own personal property is ridiculous. What makes it more ridiculous, and what has undoubtedly outraged many people, is that you are asking this of a war veteran who has sacraficed his comfort, years of his life, and without a doubt, friendships with people who were killed, all so that you could have some sense of security and enjoy your life here at home.

Additionally, the article states that there are numerous vehicles that display various political advertisements. I can only assume that you are taking the same action against these people who are clearly violating the HOA rules, right? Are you going to threaten to tow their vehicles as well?

While I have never met Mr. Larison, and I have no idea about your association, I think you're going to find that this is an issue that will spark debate from people like me. People who have no vested interest in such affairs, other than the desire to honor and defend those who have done so for us, with great sacrafice.

I hope you and your board will reconsider your orders, and allow Mr. Larison to continue showing his pride for the job he did for all of us.

Sincerely,

Chris ********
    Massachusetts