Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
So aside from not much going on, this would probably be a decent start for say someone who just graduated from the reserve academy and is looking for some experience? :teeth_smile:

Sent out my application today...

·
I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.
18,339 Posts
Yeah, me too and I live out here.
Is there still a convent in Petersham? My parents threatened to send me there a couple times:angel:
That's where Mother Maria Topp, the famed Nut Biter, lives. (see other thread)

·
Registered
17 Posts
this is a different world out there. Pop. od 2,500 year round, doubles in summer. No 24 hr coverage, 1 officer per shift, 2 shifts a day, c-5 handles most calls. I heard the chief just graduated the full time academy after being full time for past 3-4 yrs. the sgt. is former Assumption college, and is now thier full time past 1-2 yrs, no academy. Nothing happens, worst part of job is small town politics. A lot of guys with no exp., trained for couple of days, thrown the keys, and drive around. Little to no respect from the bigger dept., they are viewed as same as Wales, and Brimfield. Part time depts, part time towns. You are pretty much on your own, in middle of no where. No highway go through town, 1 blinking light, borders small ct town,(Union).
"Former Cop" I will not sit here and say some of the information that you posted isn't true because then I'd be telling a fib. What I will say is there's a good group of guys that work out there and many bring alot to the table as far as experience goes. The current Chief did in fact just finish the "Full time Academy" and let me tell you that man had alot thrown on his plate because of the doings of the past Chief, but he took it in stride turned the department around and made sure he obtained the training he needed IE: Full Time Academy. The Holland Police Department is a work in progress and your right it may be looked down on by some departments because of the prior Chief but thats something that has been improving and will take time! The Departments headed in the right direction and people need to realize that wounds take time to heal, if what they say is true about "brotherhood" and the "thin blue line" then you need to stand behind these men and support them in the rebuilding process.

---------- Post added at 17:44 ---------- Previous post was at 17:41 ----------

I've travelled extensively out that way, I LOVE the area. There's nothing nicer than a small town common in fall. The vast majority of the people I've met out there have been very nice and pleasant to talk to (unlike BROCKTON! UGH)* and as all of you FROM that area can attest to, it's gorgeous most of the year.

When there's too much snow, it SUCKS. But I avoid that area in winter.

The ONLY reason I had never did and would never apply to one of these towns is, I've become spoiled. Where I work, there's ALWAYS at least ONE or two of my own guys and plenty of local officers as well as MSP available if the poop hits the fan. Especially now at my old age, I'd be terrified at the thought of having my backup come from the next town or the MSP, IF SOMEONE WAS AVAILABLE!

I have the deepest admiration for those guys (sexually ambiguous) who do that. They're right up there with the cops who work without guns. Some say crazy, I say couragous. I wish I had the nuts to do it and oh so glad I don't have to.

The nuts are there, but small and tucked away in fear.

HEY, I'M OLD NOW!

*Kidding…or AM I?
A true show of support and brotherhood! Your a stellar gentleman!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is is a lot for him to deal with, however, how he got is questionable. State law requires full time academy. It was offered, and he took the position knowingly he did not qualify, but did not tell anyone until it came time to hire new chief. When old chief went to jail and went looking for new one, it came out he was not qualified and no intentions until the selectman found out. All guys that look for full time work can not get it because no academy, and those who do have academy and cant a job and this happens. You ever notice ads for full time work req full time academy, there you can work without it.

·
18,339 Posts
former cop, I'm sorry, and I'm not taking a shot at you, but that post was rather difficult to read. I'm sure you were tired when you typed it, I've been there and reread some of my past posts and wondered what the hell I was saying. I would say I get the general idea, but some may not. You might want to retype it.

Again, I'm not trying to be a wiseass, but man, that was tough.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Funny, I just realized who the chief over there is. Good to see Bryan is doing well. I haven't seen him in ages. Truly a good guy.

G

·
Is is a lot for him to deal with, however, how he got is questionable. State law requires full time academy. It was offered, and he took the position knowingly he did not qualify, but did not tell anyone until it came time to hire new chief. When old chief went to jail and went looking for new one, it came out he was not qualified and no intentions until the selectman found out. All guys that look for full time work can not get it because no academy, and those who do have academy and cant a job and this happens. You ever notice ads for full time work req full time academy, there you can work without it.
Shame on the town for not doing a thorough background check. A simple call or letter to the MPTC would have cleared things up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
little history, few years ago Chief Brian was full time at Framingham st College, same time part time for Holland for 8-9 years. Former Chieg Gleasonknew Brian only had S.S.P.O. offered Brian full time patrolman. Brian wanted the job, said yes, we willnot tell anyone. About three years later Gleason got caught in serious crimes and went to jail. Selectman went looking for new chief, looked at Brian to temp fill in, first Brian said now way. After week or so took the acting job, then said um, i do not have the state min qaulification for full time patrolaman in this state. Selectman said fine for now. Soon after Brian promotes a part timer to full timer. An S.S.P.O. from Assumption College. Took it, dream job. No full time academy, still there, been a year or so. I am not knockin thier training, great respect for them, however, it is a slap in the face to guys with training and exp., and can not gets jobs and this town ignores the rules. Now i heard Chief Brian just graduated from the full time academy, good for you, however if Gleason did not get in trouble, would he still have attended the academy. U can be the best guy in the world, great supervisor, great cop, everybody loves him, turns around the dept and moves forward in right direction etc. etc. etc, but took the job where legally could not, and said just dont tell anyone.

·
18,339 Posts
I STILL find it very amusing that the 16 week SSPO academy holds less weight than my 12 week FULL academy from back in '81. WTF? It's funny, if I applied to a job at the same time as a guy with the 16 week SSPO academy, I'd have a better shot because my shorter academy was considered a FULL academy at the time.

Ah, Massachusetts! :rolleyes:

G

·
I STILL find it very amusing that the 16 week SSPO academy holds less weight than my 12 week FULL academy from back in '81. WTF? It's funny, if I applied to a job at the same time as a guy with the 16 week SSPO academy, I'd have a better shot because my shorter academy was considered a FULL academy at the time.
My academy was 13 weeks....am I more qualified than someone who just graduated the 16 week SSPO academy? You bet your ass I am.

Why?

Because I have 23 years street experience, which can't be taught in any academy, regardless of length.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Former cop, what is your point? I am trying to understand, you dislike Bryan? You like him? Your post is a bit bipolar. Sorry, but it is. It appears that Chie Brian as you call him, told the selectmen of his qualifications or lack there of prior to accepting anything. As a part time reserve cop, bus SSPO was fine and dandy. So he got through the FT MPTC. What business really is it of yours. I happen to know this guy for quite some time. You will not find a a more stand up guy. town of Holland is lucky to have him.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Former Cop, after the former police Chief was let go, the town hired a search committee to study to either hire a new Chief or promote Brian. After several months of study they decided that was in the best interest of the town to promote Brian. Now for your information the town and the Chiefs involved in this knew that Brian had no academy. The town agreed and sent him to the full time academy. What's wrong with that?
Are you one of the people by-passed on the job? Just checking!

·
18,339 Posts
My academy was 13 weeks....am I more qualified than someone who just graduated the 16 week SSPO academy? You bet your ass I am.

Why?

Because I have 23 years street experience, which can't be taught in any academy, regardless of length.
THAT argument CANNOT be disputed. I'm not about to try either because I could essentially be shooting MYSELF in the foot.

Thank you Delta.

Without disputing the academy argument (which again, cannot be disputed) I can also see the general idea of the two following posts and it made me think of how many departments throughout history hired a top dog who wasn't even a cop. I'm VERY glad that as a CHIEF (not commissioner) he did go to the full academy, but hiring someone without the full academy who at least had REAL experience is preferable to hiring someone to administer the department who is simply some kind of executive. (keeping in mind this is a small dept. where the chief presumably goes on patrol, not a BIG city department or college where the chief may sit inside all day drafting orders)

I'm just glad all is now right with the world as far as training goes so his credentials are in order, for EVERYONE'S sake.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Dead line is a week from tomorrow. Get those apps. in if you haven't already. Can't stress enough good things about this dept.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone been called yet, or are they waiting for the deadline?
According to Tuesdays televised selectmans meeting they have already appointed 2 new officers, I don't know if these were from this job posting or before however the chief did say he was planning on appointing more and they got over 50 resumes so far.

·
Registered
153 Posts
According to Tuesdays televised selectmans meeting they have already appointed 2 new officers, I don't know if these were from this job posting or before however the chief did say he was planning on appointing more and they got over 50 resumes so far.
I would think it was for a past hiring, since the hiring deadline was just yesterday. Only 50 resumes? I sure hope that's the case haha. Better than when I went for Wellesley and over 400 showed up to test for just 2 spots.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I would think it was for a past hiring, since the hiring deadline was just yesterday. Only 50 resumes? I sure hope that's the case haha. Better than when I went for Wellesley and over 400 showed up to test for just 2 spots.
Didn't Wellesley just take two of their dispatchers and sent them to the academy after robbing 400 people of their application money?

What a crock of shit if that's the case.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts