1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From their department news section of the website

April 19, 2011

Part Time Police Officer

The Holland Police Department is accepting applications for the position of part time Police Officer. Applicants must be at least 21 years of age, a United States Citizen, possess a valid driver's license and be eligible to possess a firearms license. Prior law enforcement experience preferred and applicants must meet the minimum requirements to be certified as a police officer in Massachusetts. Please forward cover letter and resume to:

Chief Bryan C. Haughey
Holland Police Department
27 Sturbridge Road
Holland, MA 01521

Deadline for applications is May 19, 2011

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
C-8 Land! Know a couple of guys down there....Decent crew, I don't believe they have 24/7 coverage, but I think they are pursuing that....

The only problem I've heard with Holland is that there aren't many main roads running through it, therefore a lot of your MV stops will be townies.....I believe C-5 covers calls when there is no coverage from HPD

·
I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.
18,339 Posts
Some little known facts* about Holland, MA:

1) Most medical emergencies involve Dutch Elm disease
2) It is the only town in the Commonwealth which swears allegiance to Queen Beatrix
(a portrait of her hangs in Town Hall)
3) Each Town Meeting begins with a pledge of allegiance to the Flag of the US, and a general humming of the Dutch National Anthem "Wilhelmus"
4) It is the ONLY town in the Commonwealth where the residents have dual citizenship with a foreign nation.
5) The police uniform is Orange
6) There is a "red light district" at the intersection of Sturbridge and Sand Hill Roads, but due to Mass. General Laws, it can't be advertised.
7) Hamilton Reservoir is surrounded by 4 ***** and there's also a dam.
8) Both members of a couple, when on a date must pay their own way.
9) German immigrants in 1940 tried to settle the town but after a contentious fight, they all moved to the Town of Peru in 1946.
10) People in the neighboring Town of Wales like to send pictures of the town line sign to people in the UK just to confuse them on an annual basis.
11) People in the UK send back the pictures with a note, "This joke was not funny 100 years ago, it's not funny now."
12) Every single door in town, by town by-law must have a top half and a bottom half.
13) The Town Hall used to be a windmill, but it blew away during the hurricane of 1938.
14) No one in Holland will think ANY of the above lines are funny.

*Not known outside of I-495 anyway.

Little known fact about the Town of Peru, In 1947, the new residents tried to change the name to New Argentina, but were unsuccessful.

·
Premium Member
2,371 Posts
And Monson, Palmer, Wales, Brimfield...

Resident Troopers, anyone?
Palmer too? It's a pretty big town to not have 24/7 coverage.

According to their website, they provide 24 hour coverage. I think wikipedia has the population at like 13K which isn't huge, but definitely too big to not run around the clock. Anyway...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And Monson, Palmer, Wales, Brimfield...

Resident Troopers, anyone?
Palmer, Monson have 24/hr coverage and are not dispatched from New Braintree. Holland, Brimfield, Wales are dispatched out of C-8 along with the Brookfields.

Holland has 2 full time guys, several part timers and C-5 supplements. Brimfield and Wales departments are all part timers from the Chief down

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
C-8 Land :

- Holland
- Wales
- Brimfield
- West Brookfield
- Brookfield
- North Brookfield
- East Brookfield
- New Braintree
- Hardwick
- Petersham * Not sure on them....

I believe only the Brookfields have 24/7 coverage, but I think Hardwick may be "on-call" after midnight. Jettsix would know a bit more....

·
Registered
2 Posts
C-8 Land :

- Holland
- Wales
- Brimfield
- West Brookfield
- Brookfield
- North Brookfield
- East Brookfield
- New Braintree
- Hardwick
- Petersham * Not sure on them....

I believe only the Brookfields have 24/7 coverage, but I think Hardwick may be "on-call" after midnight. Jettsix would know a bit more....
Yes c8 dispatches for Petersham as well. Holland has gone through a lot of changes in the past couple years. The former chief got into some trouble but the new chief has made a lot of improvements so far from what I hear. I think he used to be a campus police officer at framingham state a long time ago.

The pay for part time is pretty good, not an overly busy place but the population increases a lot during the summer. I'm pretty sure one of the 2 full timers is actually the chief's position and they don't cover 24 hours but have way more coverage than Brimfield / Wales. I don't think the chief's in Brimfield or Wales are even full time academy trained.

·
18,339 Posts
A few more fun facts:

1) The town has only ONE bakery that sells only two types of food-Dutch Apple Pie and Brownies, regular or SPECIAL

2) Town by-laws state that anyone who speaks ill of Rembrandt in the Town Common is subject to a fine of 50 gilders

3) The town fathers of Leyden, MA are in a 200 year dispute with the town fathers of Holland over who is more Dutch.

4) When the US entered WW1, the Holland Town Meeting voted to stay out of it, hence remaining neutral throughout the conflict and acting as a safe have for any allied or Triple Alliance troops who ventured accross the town line. (On Nov. 11, 1918, 17 Austro-Hungarian Infantrymen and One French pilot were found to be living in a barn with the full knowledge of the townsfolk.)

5) Though he has never visited the town, Dick Van **** was told about it once while on a flight from NYC to Montreal. He was heard to say, "Hmm, really?"

6) More than 1/2 of the population of Greater Boston doesn't know the town exists.

·
18,339 Posts
I've actually got a picture of my daughter standing in front of the HOLLAND POLICE sign on the station. I know where it is!!!:smug:

Very nice town, too. I like being in the 2%!

G

·
I've actually got a picture of my daughter standing in front of the HOLLAND POLICE sign on the station. I know where it is!!!:smug:

Very nice town, too. I like being in the 2%!
My knowledge of obscure Western Mass towns has increased exponentially since I joined this site.

·
Registered
4 Posts
this is a different world out there. Pop. od 2,500 year round, doubles in summer. No 24 hr coverage, 1 officer per shift, 2 shifts a day, c-5 handles most calls. I heard the chief just graduated the full time academy after being full time for past 3-4 yrs. the sgt. is former Assumption college, and is now thier full time past 1-2 yrs, no academy. Nothing happens, worst part of job is small town politics. A lot of guys with no exp., trained for couple of days, thrown the keys, and drive around. Little to no respect from the bigger dept., they are viewed as same as Wales, and Brimfield. Part time depts, part time towns. You are pretty much on your own, in middle of no where. No highway go through town, 1 blinking light, borders small ct town,(Union).

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
Being from Brockton when I moved to Amherst and was looking for a place to live I was dumbfounded at all the friggin towns out here that I never heard of, lol. Plus out here everyone says "hey" at the end of every sentance. Whats going on, hey! I have to admit Wmass does grow on ya!

·
18,339 Posts
I've travelled extensively out that way, I LOVE the area. There's nothing nicer than a small town common in fall. The vast majority of the people I've met out there have been very nice and pleasant to talk to (unlike BROCKTON! UGH)* and as all of you FROM that area can attest to, it's gorgeous most of the year.

When there's too much snow, it SUCKS. But I avoid that area in winter.

The ONLY reason I had never did and would never apply to one of these towns is, I've become spoiled. Where I work, there's ALWAYS at least ONE or two of my own guys and plenty of local officers as well as MSP available if the poop hits the fan. Especially now at my old age, I'd be terrified at the thought of having my backup come from the next town or the MSP, IF SOMEONE WAS AVAILABLE!

I have the deepest admiration for those guys (sexually ambiguous) who do that. They're right up there with the cops who work without guns. Some say crazy, I say couragous. I wish I had the nuts to do it and oh so glad I don't have to.

The nuts are there, but small and tucked away in fear.

HEY, I'M OLD NOW!

*Kidding…or AM I?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts