Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the USP handguns able to be used by LE officers in MA "with department approval of course"?

Considering they are popular worldwide by LE and military groups, Im guessing these are high quality firearms but they are not on the approved list by the AG.Also, Does anyone recommend this sidearm if it's an available option even if it's pre 10/28/98.

·
Banned
117 Posts
If its not on the approved list by the A.G. then you can use them in MA unless it passed some drop test or something. If it passes than I guess it can be used. Since its not on the A.G.s approved list, then it either failed the test or it was never given the test.

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
Law enforcment and military are exempt from the provisions of either the EOPS and AG's requirements for "handgun safety".

Also note, the AG does not have a roster, he maintains a set of criteria for handgun sales ala consumer protection. The EOPS maintain a list of approved handguns.

If its not on the approved list by the A.G. then you can use them in MA unless it passed some drop test or something. If it passes than I guess it can be used. Since its not on the A.G.s approved list, then it either failed the test or it was never given the test.
Posted Sun 05 Dec, 2004 15:06:

If it existed in MA prior to 1998, it can be bought and sold by dealers and individuals.
If it did not and isn't on the list, only individuals can sell it not dealers.
The list has nothing to do with law enforcement purchases, pure and simple.

If you are LE, you can basically get whatever you want.

Are the USP handguns able to be used by LE officers in MA "with department approval of course"?

Considering they are popular worldwide by LE and military groups, Im guessing these are high quality firearms but they are not on the approved list by the AG.Also, Does anyone recommend this sidearm if it's an available option even if it's pre 10/28/98.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I bought a USP 40 compact back in 98 and I have bought many other handguns since. The HK USP is by far the best handgun I have ever owned and has only jammed a couple of times with over 8,000 rounds shot. They are very expensive, (parts, magazines, armorer cert) but well worth it in the long run. If your PD is considering that as your sidearm then they better have some big coin.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Re: H&K-USP Handguns?

As already stated, the "List" and AG requirements are irrelevant if the guns are purchased by the PD on letterhead (one possible exception noted below):

- H&K has no intention of having their guns tested for MA or getting on the EOPS "List".

- Taurus will not "knowingly" allow any handguns to be shipped into MA, NOT even for LE0/Agency use! That was told to me by the Taurus National Sales Manager directly. Taurus sent some of their lawyers to meet with our AG and after the meeting, they decided to "kiss off MA" totally and want absolutely NO exposure here for any reason.

That attitude is prevalent amongst most mfrs for a couple of reasons:
- The Law and AG requirements are somewhat different, so passing one doesn't necessarily mean you meet both.
- The AG will NOT tell anyone if their guns meet his requirements. He tells them to make up their own mind and if he disagrees he'll send non-compliance letters and fines to the mfr and dealers for selling them! At $5K/gun sold civil fine, most mfrs want nothing to do with MA!

Now onto a technical matter of the H&K USP Compact! I own the .40c and the .45c so this is from personal experience and also evaluation from some firearms instructors.

- The trigger on these guns is terrible. There may be a LEM trigger or a custom trigger job that will make this better, but I'm not certain that these will make it significantly better.
- I took a high-intensity 3 day defensive handgun course with Jim Crews of Marksmans Enterprises (he's a certified LE trainer in a number of states near his home-base of Montana). I used my USP .40c for the entire 28 hour course. No malfunctions, just a brutal trigger leading to my disappointment in its performance.
- In comparison my Walther P99 .40 is infinitely better on trigger reset (and a couple of 1911s I've tried are as smooth as glass), and this makes a big difference in accuracy and ability to fire a fast and accurate followup shot. [Anyone who has taken training at Front Sight, GunSight, or with Gabe Suarez, Jim Crews, Randy Cain, Jeff Gonzales, Jeff Cooper, etc. will know exactly what I'm talking about. Not sure this will make sense to anyone else.]

·
Registered
157 Posts
Channy1984 @ 05 Dec 2004 08:44 said:
Considering they are popular worldwide by LE and military groups, Im guessing these are high quality firearms...Does anyone recommend this sidearm if it's an available option even if it's pre 10/28/98.
I bought a new USP Compact 40S&W a while ago, but ended up selling it because I preferred my Glock 23. The Glock I felt was a little easier to conceal (USP's are a little chunky), I liked the consistency of the Glocks trigger better, lastly the Glock has a higher capacity.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Re: H&K-USP Handguns?

Our AG sucks on all topics, let alone guns. He needs to be properly educated just like everyone else inside the 128 belt.
He's plenty educated, just like his predecessor! Remember it was Harshbarger who developed those regs, Reilly is a cookie-cutter image dictator who KNOWS that an armed populace is dangerous to his dictatorship!

I'm afraid that the only kind of education that would work with him is to get rid of him! We need to vote him out of public office! Really watch out if he ever becomes Gov (and he's already started his campaign).

·
Subscribing Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm afraid that the only kind of education that would work with him is to get rid of him! We need to vote him out of public office! Really watch out if he ever becomes Gov
(and he's already started his campaign).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reily's running for Governor????

:shock: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts