Hi everyone | MassCops

Hi everyone

Discussion in 'Welcome New Members' started by RebTrooper, Nov 30, 2014.

1. RebTrooper

RebTrooper MassCops Member

Hey there folks, first time, long time...I figured I'd go ahead and sign up for this site as it seems to be a good clearinghouse for info on the policing situation here up north. I've been an officer of the Alabama Highway Patrol for many years now but am beginning to think about making a move up north. I'm up here for the holiday and will be back again later this holiday season (have family in the area) so I figured now's as good a time as any to start casing things out. What's it like up here for the local sheriff/PDs? How do ya'll like it?

Nice to meet y'all and stay safe!

2. CO4Sho

CO4Sho MassCops Member

Sheriff's only do corrections in Mass but some pay much better than small towns. To get hired by a PD you either need to be hired off the civil service list (they test every 2 years) or get hired by a non-civil service town. The non-civil towns offer tests or invite academy trained officers to submit cover letters and resumes. This website is a good resource as to what towns/cities are hiring. You can contact the MPTC to see if they will give you a waiver for your academy.

pahapoika likes this.
  3. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

There are a ton of campus PD's like UMass ( which is currently hiring ) and might be a nice place to land towards the end of your career. ;)

4. BxDetSgt

BxDetSgt MassCops Member

If I remember correctly ya'll are pretty good with professional courtesy, you probably have a much better chance than someone from the Florida Highway Patrol.

LawMan3, zm88, Goose and 2 others like this.
  5. coopah

coopah New Member

Mornin everyone , still sobah and of course doing the right thing, i truly hope things are well in your lives - stay safe !

Coop

BxDetSgt likes this.
  6. felony

felony MassCops Member

If your academy is over 800 hours and have 2+ years as a full time officer, the MPTC may take you on with an exemption. The caveat is that you must have your exemption submitted by your hiring agency/chief. Your best bet is to email the MPTC and ask if your academy meets the requirement. With more and more agencies leaving CS, you may stand a decent chance to get hired.