Hesser College | MassCops

Hesser College

Discussion in 'New Hampshire' started by obie49, May 15, 2009.

1. obie49

obie49 MassCops Member

Has anyone gone to Hesser College for CJ? Did anyone get any credits for work experience, academy, etc??

2. robodope

robodope MassCops Member

No but their commercials are so bad....Showing people in foot pursuits and how college prepares them for that..How dumb can they be??

3. CJIS

CJIS MassCops Member

Never even heard of it.

4. 5-0

5-0 Guest

Of course college prepares you for that... Haven't you ever run away from a frat party?

5. JMB1977

JMB1977 New Member

My personal favorite is Lincoln Tech...again what a joke!

6. rg1283

rg1283 MassCops Member

Most of these schools are only good for learning to cut hair. Other then that they are extremely overpriced to get nothing in return. Local community colleges are cheaper and better.

7. Mass

Mass MassCops Member

There is a big debate over the regional accreditation vs.national accreditation. Allot of National schools do not transfer over to regional accredited schools. Most (not all) internet schools are National accreditated.

8. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Not true....national accreditation is still somewhat rare in higher education. All the well known online programs (University of Phoenix, Northcentral University, American Military University, etc.) are regionally accredited.

Negative....regional accreditation is the gold standard. Harvard is regionally accredited through the New England Association of Schools and Colleges, Stanford is regionally accredited by the Western Association, etc.

9. Mass

Mass MassCops Member

10. OfficerObie59

OfficerObie59 Public Trough Feeder

11. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

It's not.

The majority of legitimate distance learning institutions are regionally accredited; there are a handful that are nationally accredited, but they're very much in the minority, both in numbers and in number of students.

Popular distance learning schools;

Thomas Edison State College - regionally accredited

Excelsior College - regionally accredited

Charter Oak State College - regionally accredited

University of Phoenix - regionally accredited

Northcentral University - regionally accredited

Walden University - regionally accredited

Union Institute & University - regionally accredited

I could go on for pages and pages, but I think you get the idea. I have a part-time gig that requires I stay on top of these things, and it's a subject I know inside and out, trust me.

12. Mass

Mass MassCops Member

Ok, you have me. But there are many more that are only DETC. They are not that well known, but willing to take your money. Just to name a few.
    American Health Science University
    American Sentinel University
    Andrew Jackson University
    Ashworth College
    Aspen University
    California Coast University
    California National University for Advanced Studies
    Columbia Southern University
    Grantham University
    Henley-Putnam University

13. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

You roll the dice when you earn a DETC-accredited degree...some places will accept them, while many do not. The safest bet is to go with a school that's regionally accredited....acceptance and transfer credit is nearly universal.

14. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Walden is a proprietary (for profit) school, and those tend to have very high tuition....as a trade-off, they also tend to have very good student support, as they want you to stay enrolled in order to make more money.

15. SgtAndySipowicz

SgtAndySipowicz Supporting Member

Since the Quinn Bill is probably going to disappear (thanks to Cop hating politicians who would rather divert the money to entitlement programs), why not just go to the cheapest/easiest school to get your degree? If you are looking for a degree for a resume, I don't think the school really makes a huge difference (in LE). Doesn't Chief Bratton of the LAPD have a bachelors from Boston State College (which later merged w/ UMASS)? If you are guaranteed Quinn, go to a Quinn school. If you work outside of MA I don't think it really matters where you went, just that you got a CJ degree etc........

16. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Why bother getting a degree at all? Let the state get what they pay for.

GED and a driver's license.....

17. OfficerObie59

OfficerObie59 Public Trough Feeder

Bratton got his Bachelors it as part of an early 70's program where BPD would actually pay for most if not all of the tuition and fees; this was of course long before Boston had Quinn. Now of course, the campus is now UMass-Boston, which is nothing to scoff at.

Either way, a very well known Curry professor graduated from Boston State and went on to get her doctorate at Brown, so I really don't agree with your implication the Boston State was just a "so-so" school.

18. cg7

cg7 New Member

Hesser College, ITT (which is buying Daniel Webster College), University of Phoenix, and the like are also for-profit businesses. The tuition there is higher than the tuition at the community colleges.

In addition to being more affordable, many of the community colleges have deeper roots in the community, which may offer better networking opportunities.

19. MVS

MVS Chapter 90 Enforcer

I like the moron "Officer" with his greased back hair using cheapo handcuffs and can't even handcuff the guy. Yep, what a great school to help with your future in LE. WOW

20. Inspector

Inspector Subscribing Member

Don't waste your time and money on schools which run all those ads which obviously appeal to whackers. They want one thing...your money. If you cannot afford the time or money to go to a university like Northeastern, U-Mass Lowell, etc where you spend four years full time or more at night in classrooms then do go to community colleges like New Hampshire Tech, Northern Essex etc. where they have people with full credentials, experience and contacts. Then you can transfer into a 4 year school. As for Boston State the old campus that was absorbed by UMass Boston offered some dynamite graduate courses many years ago. While the Quinn Bill is under fire many communities will still pay for your degrees, even several N.H. departments will do this. Some places will not hire you unless you have a degree. I believe this is going to become more the story in progressive areas, unlike the regressive climate that has blown up in Massachusetts.

21. graceylou2006

graceylou2006 New Member

you guys are all so thick headed and biased... i went to many different colleges before choosing hesser... I attended Northern Illinois.... Joliet Junior... Then i attended NHTI and UNH never found what i was looking for in a school...I finally found hesser... i love it i am exceeding in my studies and they even placed me with a local police dept

22. KozmoKramer

KozmoKramer Administrator Staff Member

Hey graceylou2006 - who do you think you are rebuking our members like that? Apologize for your comments, right now...
    No 21 yo has the right to make comments like that on this site, especially not some 1 hit wonder like you.

23. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Yes, one can tell the excellent education you're receiving from your grammar skills.

Did Hesser not teach you that you always capitalize the first word of a new sentence, and also words like Hesser?