Help preparing for FLETC?! | MassCops

Help preparing for FLETC?!

Discussion in 'Federal Agencies' started by NytroCop, Jan 10, 2009.

1. NytroCop

NytroCop New Member

Hey there,
    I've accepted an appointment to ICE as an Immigration Enforcement Agent. I was just wondering if anyone could give me a head's up as to what to expect from FLETC. I'm expecting my e-mail to come Monday with all my info but I figured I'd try to get a jump on packing, getting everything squared away.

Feel free to reply or PM. Thanks for any help you can provide.

AJ

2. RCS

RCS MassCops Member

Nytro,

I was down from July to November. My buddy is down at the IEA Academy right now. You'll be issued uniforms, and web gear when you get there, and I believe boots as well. Things were changing as far as housing down there, before it was a lot of single rooms. If you get one sweet, if not make the best.

Bring a laptop, you can get dial up in the newer dorms, student center has wi-fi.

Bring two pair of running shoes, they issue PT gear which you will need to wear on your own time if you're using the track or their facilities.

Get to Savannah on the weekend, you will need a break. Savannah is awesome and safe. Reminds me of Boston a bit, good restaurants, bars, shopping. It is a college town. Jacksonville is a toilet.

If you have any questions ask away, I am an open book.

3. Killjoy

Killjoy Zombie Hunter

Certainly doesn't sound like the MSP academy...no wi-fi in Alpha or Charlie buildings! Plenty of entertainment though; how about a game of two-sheets-and-a-blanket?

Reminds me of the FBI academy; they had a Starbucks in the first floor of their dorm!

Congratulations, though. :)

4. emerlad

emerlad New Member

Congrats-
    FLETC is great, truely professional and top notch.
    Make some great money in that job, great stepping stone and in line for the coveted Deport Officer position where the money tree grows even taller.
    Take a bike and drive down there.

2 sheets and a blanket have a much different meaning in FLETC.
    Good Luck, you will love it down there.

5. Boats

Boats Supporting Member

I am flying back to the FLETC in Charlestown, SC as I type this. There are alot of ICE, Customs, and Border Patrol there, but it appears some of them are well rounded or seasoned and not new recruits. I assume they are there for some sort of In-Service type training. It's an alright facility, there seems to be alot of work in progress on the buildings. The neighborhood outside is like a Cops episode though. I wouldn't hit a convenience store until you are in downtown Charlestown.

Boats

6. RCS

RCS MassCops Member

I'm willing to be the MSP academy is just a little different....:p

7. copcreamer

copcreamer MassCops Member

Bring you golf clubs for the 9 hole course next to driver training just watch out for the gators (not kidding). What out at the mall, had a guy try to car jack me there. Maid service is standard (dont forget to tip at the end of your stay). If you drive in don't forget you are in the south and they must see your proof of INsurance to get your parking pass (I waited about 3 hours to get my stuff faxed down there). Weekends were usually Daytona Beach or St Simons Island. Best barber shop in the world is down the street at ABA barbers. Go to Pams, but only once. Go to the Red Carpet Lounge a couple of times and any time someone suggests you go back to Pams. Don't drink and drive, the local cops hate you and your inflated fed salary, you will be arrested. They like hanging out near the roads by the main gate.

8. Barbrady

Barbrady MassCops Member

I think most basic schools are in Glynco, Ga. I know guys that have gone to SC for the Spanish course. ?? Any rate, if you are going to Georgia get used to standing in a long, packed line for chow. The G-bar on base is a good time.

+ 1

Absolutely. It sounds like you will be down there for St. Patty's Day. A must see, best parade down south with great weather. Rivals Boston ..really can't beat it. Grab a to-go drink at a bar and walk down River St., good times. Tybee Island for the beach.:thumbup:

9. Tuna

Tuna Always entertained

Get to Pam's and the Red Carpet then try Jeckle Island or St Simons. Jacksonville waterfront is great but the rest of the city is a pit.

10. NytroCop

NytroCop New Member

I have family in Jacksonville so I'll probably be spending time catching up with them... and seeing the sites.

11. RCS

RCS MassCops Member

I hit Savannah, 4 or 5 times, even with my family, a lot of history down there, they have a "poor man's" Fanueil Hall, called City Market, some great Irish Pubs, etc. The biggest thing is that everyone is so welcoming and nice down there, just a bit of a change from downtown Boston.

St. Simons is good for a good bite to eat, a quick get away.
    The tough part is everyone knows you're from FLETC. An example, I am at a restaurant with a few classmates on a Saturday night. Bartender hears us talking and says, " you from FLETC", clearly we weren't from Georgia, so we said yes, he goes on about how arrogant cops are, he hates cops, etc. Needless to say, it was the last time we ate there.

Best advice, even when you're heading to Walmart take a friend, be safe and even though you can't help it, try not stand out.

12. Irish Wampanoag

Irish Wampanoag Subscribing Member

Make sure you can open a can of Budlight with on finger and/or twist a cap off with on hand and you'll be all set. :t: you'll make buddies there, drinking buddies that is..................

13. Barbrady

Barbrady MassCops Member

Watch out for the war pigs. When I was down there I remember hearing that Brunswick had the highest concentration of HIV infected people in GA.

14. Thetao

Thetao Guest

Doesn't sound like the MSP academy. Where did that come from?

15. Blivid316

Blivid316 MassCops Member

ahh so what! the local pigs (the chicks i mean and thats what they are) love FLEA-TEC boys as the locals call it...FLEA-TEC.

Dont wear your fletc ID on the outside of your shirt when you go out.
    DONT wear your issued uniform off base (you look like an idiot-i saw some in walmart wearing the web gear WITH A RED GUN)
    DO get your fletc discount at the bbq place near fletc. i forget the name of it but it was AWESOME.
    DO go to barbara jeans on st. simmons. BEST food there. i miss it.

DRIVE DRIVE DRIVE and rent a bike. like $40 for 3 months. it is worth it. Bob the Jesus guy has a good bike service.

Prey you stay in the tage (sp). they are suite hotel style rooms with a pool in the quad. I have never seen so much alcohol consumed in my life while I was there...and to think the people protecting the country (the defense the troops are the offense) getting cocked 5 6 7 nights a week out at the pool....hilarious.
    DONT go skinny dipping in a pool full of dudes even if you are kidding.

16. Barbrady

Barbrady MassCops Member

Pray you stay in the Taj.:D Just picking.

Good advice.

17. NytroCop

NytroCop New Member

I'm in week 5 of training for my IEA position. Shane's Rib Shack does offer a discount with some pretty good food to boot. Walmart is a great place to hang out to check out the imbreds on Friday night unless you go to the Dirty Rug (Red Carpet)... which isn't my thing when it's pregnant rednecks shaking their saggies in your face.

At any rate, training is going well so far but it'll start warming up soon enough so it'll get interesting.

18. Up_On_Base

Up_On_Base New Member

I was there in the summer, hotter than hell.

St. Simons was great though in the summer, hot girls everywhere, and they loved FLEOS in training.

Just remember why you are there, and it's not to get wasted w/ your classmates. We had a guy get fired 2 days before graduation...FLETC is solid training but WAY to relaxed IMO...college w/ guns and a purpose.

19. DNorth

DNorth MassCops Member

Forgot all about this thread, hope the OP is doing well! My responses below...

20. emerlad

emerlad New Member

Getting bombed 6 days a week is not so good.
    I don't advocate for these shenanagins, by any means.
    Good luck at the FLETC, it is a decent ride.

21. NytroCop

NytroCop New Member

They're double-bunking the Taj (including me) which certainly detracts from its allure. I also don't drink much so getting bombed every night is not in the cards for me (however the antics that I see are quite hilarious).

22. Up_On_Base

Up_On_Base New Member

I have no idea why they dont utilize the other FLETC, there are some in MD/SC/NM.

The MD facility is only really used by USCP, not using all these locations is a waste

23. EBostonBP

EBostonBP MassCops Member

FLETC in Artesia, NM is the Bureau of Indian Affairs Academy, the first half of the Federal Air Marshal Service Academy, and most importantly, the United States Border Patrol Academy. I don't think poor little Artesia could handle anymore out-of-towners.

24. irsagt

irsagt New Member

Did you get the information that you were looking for? If not, I can help.

25. Inspector

Inspector Subscribing Member

I know that Barbara Jeans on Wilmington Island (Savannah) closed as it couldn't compete with local restaurants. If you like crab legs you are in luck as they are a great in many local restaurants. Brunswick is a pit but Savannah is great if you know where not to go. I'd suggest in Savannah, Kevin Barry's Irish Pub, Tubbys, Stingrays out on Tybee and don't forget to get to Doc's Bar on Tybee when they have music. Great blues. Keep a low profile and stay close to where you play as southern police are very strict, especially if they have a chance to pay back another Yankee for the War of Northern Aggression. Try the grits, biscuits and gravy and certainly the shrimp.