Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Chapter 24 of the Acts of 2004. AN ACT RELATIVE TO MOTORCYCLE HELMETS (effective April 12, 2004). This act amended G.L. c. 90, § 7 so as to permit motorcyclists over 18 years old participating in an official parade to ride without a helmet.

Does this apply to operators with a permit?

·
Subscribing Member
885 Posts
How often do you participate in a parade?

Seems it would. Regardles of endorsement status or permit, if you're operating a Motorcycle, you're a Motorcyclist.

Thats all we need.
"Well sir! No one in the parade was wearing one, I thought the law changed!"

·
Registered
47 Posts
Curious EMT";p="54978 said:

Seems it would. Regardles of endorsement status or permit, if you're operating a Motorcycle, you're a Motorcyclist.

Thats all we need.
Issue is when your in a very slow moving parade on a hot day. Its easy to pass out from having the helmet on.

-- Joe

·
Subscribing Member
885 Posts
anesthes";p="55345 said:

Thats all we need.
Issue is when your in a very slow moving parade on a hot day. Its easy to pass out from having the helmet on.

-- Joe
Do you know ANYTHING about motorcycles? Anything at ALL?

Not only do none of the mounted officers around here wear more on a motorcycle than they would on Mr Ed, but now they'll omit the helmit?

Congress is at it again.....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Curious EMT";p="55386 said:
anesthes";p="55345 said:

Thats all we need.

-- Joe
Do you know ANYTHING about motorcycles? Anything at ALL?

Not only do none of the mounted officers around here wear more on a motorcycle than they would on Mr Ed, but now they'll omit the helmit?

Congress is at it again.....
If your referring to state police units, I believe they just put that whole program on hold and re-assigned the officers to cars.

Ever wear a full-face helmet on a bike and be stuck in traffic? Sometimes I have to pull to the side and take my helmet off to avoid passing out from the heat. It gets pretty hot up there. I can't imagine being in a slow moving parade for 3 hours in 90f temps. Forget that.

I imagine its not much of an issue on those half-hat things the Harley guys like to wear, or even a standard open face police helmet, but I can see the reasons for allowing it.

I'm not sure what your question is "Do you know ANYTHING about motorcycles?" ?? What would you like to know, specifically?

I'm not really sure this parade issue deserves as much attention as your giving it.

·
Subscribing Member
885 Posts
Actualy, you're the one that needs the attention.

I know a little thing or two about being "hot" and stuck in a little traffic
Being stuck under a Vanson's 2-peice suit, Sidi Vertigo Race boots, leather full gauntlet gloves, and a shoie lid can get a little warm on 90+ degree days on the expressway, or whiping through the "bowl" an NHIS, gets a little "warm"

·
Registered
47 Posts
Curious EMT";p="55454 said:
Actualy, you're the one that needs the attention.

I know a little thing or two about being "hot" and stuck in a little traffic
Being stuck under a Vanson's 2-peice suit, Sidi Vertigo Race boots, leather full gauntlet gloves, and a shoie lid can get a little warm on 90+ degree days on the expressway, or whiping through the "bowl" an NHIS, gets a little "warm"
About.. maybe 5 years ago I almost took one of those classes at NHIS when I had my gsxr. I got talked out of it. Do you race up there?

Spent the last five years racing at NED. I just sold my CBR954RR about a month ago. I'm gonna get another gsxr I think or maybe an R1. the CBR was an ok bike but. It just didnt feel right.

In any event, I don't run fast enough at NED on a bike to need more than a leather jacket, boots + jeans. When I ride for pleasure its usually t-shirt and shorts, sneakers, and full face helmet.

-- Joe

·
Subscribing Member
885 Posts
anesthes";p="55460 said:
About.. maybe 5 years ago I almost took one of those classes at NHIS when I had my gsxr. I got talked out of it. Do you race up there?

Spent the last five years racing at NED. I just sold my CBR954RR about a month ago. I'm gonna get another gsxr I think or maybe an R1. the CBR was an ok bike but. It just didnt feel right.

In any event, I don't run fast enough at NED on a bike to need more than a leather jacket, boots + jeans. When I ride for pleasure its usually t-shirt and shorts, sneakers, and full face helmet.

-- Joe
The penguin race school is excelent. Jeff Wood puts it on. Very very good class, you'll learn a lot about riding.

So, shorts and tshirt on a CBR954? Its ok, one of these days you'll be bitten by the road when grandma runs you over, you'll learn the value of full leather.

Its a full suit for me all the time...

Are you, or are you not a full time LEO? I never would have though any F.T. would make the decision to not wear full gear...

·
Subscribing Member
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Boots, leather rideing jacket with kevlar patches sewn in, jeans,gloves and a full faced helmet just for street rideing.

I am thinking about upgradeing to a standerd open face style this year. It got a we bit hot and was a pain in the rear to put my glasses on.

·
Subscribing Member
1,442 Posts
The brain buckets that are popular with the harley guys are not leagl helmets anyway. Not that I bust chops for it. Both y brother in laws have them as well as several guys on my job. They all had tags on them that warn they are not for protection.
In my opinion its your head, if you want it smashed on the pavment then so be it.

·
Subscribing Member
944 Posts
topcop14";p="55624 said:
The brain buckets that are popular with the harley guys are not leagl helmets anyway. Not that I bust chops for it. Both y brother in laws have them as well as several guys on my job. They all had tags on them that warn they are not for protection.
In my opinion its your head, if you want it smashed on the pavment then so be it.
The problem with the brain buckets is that alot of the guys that have them get the DOT stickers from somewhere and stick them on it. Which then makes them "legal" although everyone knows they aren't but the sticker is on it like every other helmet. Then what happens if the ticket gets contested in court?

But like you said it's your head :roll:

Scott :rock:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Foxracingmtnridr";p="55653 said:
topcop14";p="55624 said:
The problem with the brain buckets is that alot of the guys that have them get the DOT stickers from somewhere and stick them on it. Which then makes them "legal" although everyone knows they aren't but the sticker is on it like every other helmet. Then what happens if the ticket gets contested in court?

But like you said it's your head :roll:

Scott :rock:
You ask for mfg and model, and verify with the mfg.

In regards to helmets, I won't buy anything thats not at LEAST a SNELL M90.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts