·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From todays Herald...

`Hells' to pay for cop beating: State worker held
By Laurel J. Sweet and David Guarino/ EXCLUSIVE
Saturday, November 27, 2004

A state auditor who's been living a double life as a Hell's Angel may have crashed and burned for good with the brutal tag-team stomping of a Lynn cop, police say.

James ``Jamie'' Costin, 40, who has worked for Massachusetts Auditor A. Joseph DeNucci since 1993, was held without bail yesterday while two fellow reputed outlaw bikers were on the run with police in hot pursuit.

``He was finishing a sandwich,'' Lynn police Capt. Joseph Rowe said of Lt. Vernon ``Skip'' Coleman, a supervisor with 20 years under his belt who was off-duty and allegedly minding his own business when jumped Wednesday night in the Buchanan Cafe, a neighborhood dive on Eastern Avenue.

``He was sucker-punched, knocked to the floor and kicked in the head repeatedly,'' Rowe said. ``No one in the bar came to his aid.

``After he got knocked to the floor, someone said, `He's a Lynn police officer,' '' Rowe said, ``to which one of the Hells Angels replied, `(Expletive) him.' ''

Rowe said a friend who was with Coleman tried to help but was restrained. Coleman was treated for head and facial injuries. The bar declined comment.

Costin, a member of the local Hells Angels chapter, was arrested about 5 a.m. Thursday after police surrounded a house on Gage Street in Lynn where he was given refuge. State House sources said Costin earns $36,270 a year.

Frank Dyer, a spokesman for DeNucci, said Costin is a field auditor who assists with checkups on housing authority properties, state agencies and vendors. He said new hires are subject to a criminal background check and when Costin was brought on board 11 years ago, ``he passed.''

But Lt. Michael Moyer of the Laconia Police Department in New Hampshire knows Costin - and isn't likely to forget him.

On June 20, 1998, during Laconia Motorycle Week at Weirs Beach, Moyer was one of three officers attacked during a ``riot'' by Hells Angels - among them, James Costin, who was arrested for assault. The charge against Costin was later dropped, but it was unclear why.

``They surrounded me, they started kicking me, they pepper-sprayed me,'' Moyer said.

Another officer was hit so hard in the head with his own baton that he suffered a concussion.

Said Moyer, ``We feel it was planned all along.''

·
Registered
160 Posts
Everyday I hear..."it can't get any worse than this"...... We haven't seen nothing yet.... Costin needs the piss beaten out of him. We as LE officals need to start doing something more about crime against PO's. They're just not stiff enough, they never have been..but hopefully some day they will be!

G

·
I say its open season on any outlaw biker clubs bearing colors. Might be difficult this time of year. You know, just nickel/dime the piss out of them. :2up:

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,749 Posts
2Blue4U @ 28 Nov 2004 12:03 said:
I say its open season on any outlaw biker clubs bearing colors. Might be difficult this time of year. You know, just nickel/dime the piss out of them. :2up:
No No No.......................

Calm down. He's a state worker. If you look into it more carefully he's probably an AFSCME member who's fed up with the lack of contract negotiations and those damn campus cops!
:lol:
Lets put the beat down on disgruntled state workers!!!!!
:twisted:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya, I couldn't help but wonder if the timing of this particular event might have been planned so as to factor in a 3 or 4 month cooling off period from the police. In the spring the H.A. will be out riding again, you know doing their "benefit" runs to show the public how nice they really are :roll: :roll: :roll: .

·
Subscribing Member
308 Posts
3 on 1 and they threw a sucker punch. Doesnt sound like a fair fight to me. Any word if the other two shitbirds have been caught yet? I would say you can take it to the bank that 3 or 4 months is not gonna calm anything down for the HA boys. Full gigs will be awaiting them up and down Mass and NH :twisted:

·
Registered
71 Posts
"3 on 1 and they threw a sucker punch. Doesnt sound like a fair fight to me."

That's their style, they don't fight fair nor can they. They are fawking cowards! This a$$ clown Costin weighs over 260lbs, was a former " juice head" and puches a guy in the back of the head, then boots him on the ground. What a tough guy. :roll:

All they did was wake the "Sleeping Giant" in Lynn, good luck to them and their followers.

·
Subscribing Member
1,151 Posts
`No one called': Police never alerted as fellow cop was beaten

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :

By Tom Farmer
Monday, November 29, 2004

Outraged that none of the staff at the Buchanan Cafe called for help when a Lynn police lieutenant was brutally beaten inside the Lynn bar, irate cops want an emergency hearing before the licensing board to consider disciplining the tavern.

``No one called,'' said police Capt. Joseph Rowe. ``No one inside the bar, including the bartender or management called the police. The call we received was made outside the bar by someone who wasn't connected to the management.''

Meanwhile, a second Hells Angel was charged yesterday in connection with last week's vicious beating.

Thomas M. Duda Jr., 35, who Rowe described as a ``patched member of the Lynn chapter of the Hells Angels,'' surrendered at the Lynn police station yesterday. Police held a warrant charging him with mayhem, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, assault and battery causing serious bodily injury and assault and battery.

Duda and another Hells Angel, James ``Jamie'' Costin, 40, of Lynn, are accused in the severe beating Wednesday night of Lt. Vernon ``Skip'' Coleman. Coleman, who was off duty and reportedly eating a sandwich in the Buchanan Cafe, was allegedly ``sucker-punched'' without provocation by Costin, who is employed as an auditor by state Auditor A. Joseph DeNucci.

Coleman, who was repeatedly kicked in the head after being knocked to the floor, is expected to recover.

Sheila Casey of Lynn, who is listed as the president, treasurer and member manager for the corporation that owns the small bar at the busy intersection of Eastern and Western Avenues, did not respond to a request for comment.

Rowe said the emergency hearing before the Licensing Board has been scheduled for tomorrow night. ``We have forwarded them all our reports,'' he said.

Police are also searching for a third Hells Angel in connection with the incident but Rowe declined to reveal whether the man will be charged.

G

·
I bet the WILD PIGS might!!

They did have an incident in N.Y.C a few years ago in which a memeber of the wild pigs got shot by an H.A. member. I'm sure your comment was in jest but be careful about what you suggest, there is past history with these two clubs, unfortunate as it is, since one is supposed to be a club for cops. FYI, they are now the renegade pigs. Also a reference was made to the Blue Knights and Enforcers M.C.'s , please keep in mind that these clubs as well as the Road Dawgs are LAW Enforcement motorcycle clubs. I am a member of one of these clubs and I can tell you that they have taken great pains to dis-associate themselves from any similarities to outlaw clubs. What happened to the Lynn LT. should be dealt with while on duty. The mere mention of an outlaw m.c. in the same line as a law enforcement club can bring unfavorable attention to the law enforcement club. Not trying to be the "daddy figure" here, but this is something I have some knowledge about. Law enforcement M.C.'s are a great way to spend time with your brother officers who share a common interest in motorcycling. It has been a nothing short of a great time in the five years that I have been a member in my club. :t:

·
Subscribing Member
308 Posts
The fact that none of the employees working in the bar would even pick up a phone and call 911 pisses me off. I hope the licensing board shuts that place down for a long time. If they dont I am sure there will be many premise checks performed over the next few months. How about a cruiser on OUI detail to pull over every nitwit that leaves the place. Hopefully the drop in business will have the owners reconsidering their employees deplorable conduct or lack of in this case.

G

·
CH38 reported this evening that the Lt will require reconstructive surgery. Much more to this story then what is out in the public.

G

·
I am from Lynn. I'm ashamed that the people did not even attempt to help him. The cops in Lynn are good cops from what I have seen. I have never been in trouble, but I know many of them, and have heard many stories. They are overall a good group of guys. Its terrible noone tried to help him. If they didnt like cops, thats one thing, but he was a human being also, and not liking officers is no excuse not to help someone in need.

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
Ya, I couldn't help but wonder if the timing of this particular event might have been planned so as to factor in a 3 or 4 month cooling off period from the police. In the spring the H.A. will be out riding again, you know doing their "benefit" runs to show the public how nice they really are :roll: :roll: :roll: .
Well this time we shouldn't cool down.... Nickel and Dime the piss out of them come spring, summer, and fall...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.