Hello | MassCops

Hello

Discussion in 'Welcome New Members' started by TO-FROM, Sep 20, 2011.

1. TO-FROM

TO-FROM MassCops Member

Hey Everyone, 78th RTT here. I'm sure I'll enjoy some good conversations on this board and I'm looking forward to it. Glad to be here.... :teeth_smile:

2. CJIS

CJIS MassCops Member

Welcome to MC.

3. cc3915

cc3915 MassCops Angel Staff Member

Welcome "TO-FROM". Hope you haven't had to write too many of those.

4. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

Welcome aboard

5. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Welcome!

6. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

greetings :shades_smile:

7. niteowl1970

niteowl1970 Moderator Staff Member

8. Rock

Rock Undefined

Great...that's all we need. Another member of the bad class.

9. LGriffin

LGriffin Always Watching

Welcome. Nice name, glad I never had to deal with those.

10. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

We just got dropped for push-ups.

I just dated myself, didn't I?

11. grn3charlie

grn3charlie Yeah, THAT GUY!

12. LGriffin

LGriffin Always Watching

Oh yes, you did, but push ups are way better than a To-From, which requires more sitting!!!

13. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

I never wrote a To-From in the academy, not because I was some great example of a recruit, just because instead, they made us do push-ups. I actually prefer that.....push-ups take less thought, it's over quicker, and you get some benefit from it.

14. fra444

fra444 MassCops Member

I don't talk to guys/girls who have GRADUATED the Academy, what makes you think I'm gonna want to hear or see anything YOU have an opinion about trainee?!?!?!?

---------- Post added at 15:05 ---------- Previous post was at 15:00 ----------

Its 80th that's the new one isn't it?! Oh freakin well! I still meant what I said! So THERE Lo!

15. grn3charlie

grn3charlie Yeah, THAT GUY!

To-Froms are ridiculous. Here's what we do, re-institute push-ups as remedial "training" and warn everyone in line at the exam sites and then again at the orientation the same thing my platoon heard the first night at basic:

"I'm not your mother. I'm not your father, I'm not your brother or sister and I DON'T LOVE YOU!" Don't go into the academy if you are not used to being spoken to harshly and are used to getting your own way. That's what the fire academy is for.

16. SgtAndySipowicz

SgtAndySipowicz Supporting Member

I agree that to/froms are useless. Writing 3 pages about why a thread is hanging off of your shirt doesn't accomplish much (It would be more beneficial to have them write 3 pages on a court case etc). I would rather have trainees do extra pushups/runs/situps etc etc. I also don't agree with the gentle approach that the MPTC (I don't think the MSP has adopted the gentle appraoch) has adopted. If you can't finish the run in the time alloted by the end of 22 weeks, you probably shouldn't be a Cop. Being in some type of shape could mean life or death out on the streets. Yes, I have seen trainees pass an academy without passing a run test (if you get injured while in the academy I could see this being a valid excuse not to pass a run)....... PS: a word of advice to new trainees. No one gives a shit that you were a part time Cop in a town of 3,000. We don't need to hear your war stories. You don't know shit until you've been a full time street Cop for 3-5 years, depending on where you work etc......good luck!

17. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

Welcome. Ok, you've said too much.

Kidding, say more.

18. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

On day one at the academy when they were screaming at us, it was obvious who had been in the military and who hadn't....I was thinking, "Okay, let's get this over with and move on to something useful", while others had the deer-in-the-headlights look.

I will say, after they rode us for the first week, the academy director told us that they wanted to weed-out the attitude problems, and everything from then on would be to make us a better police officer. He warned us that if we took advantage of it, they would drop the hammer (we did, and they did), but the screaming and desk-flipping pretty much stopped after the first week.

19. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

All this talk about what happened at police academies makes me kind of nostalgic for MY academy.

No, we didn't get yelled at, we did few push-ups, I don't think any of us ever wrote a to-from, we never had an inspection and every day after PT we stopped at Dunkies for coffee and munchkins. We had one guy who often napped in class until coffee break time. Our instructors weren't tough, just knowlegable (well, a couple might not have been, it's tough to tell really how much they know when they just read out of a book while smoking a cigarette) and a couple were down right entertaining. We know NOW that at least one wasn't qualified to teach one of the classes he taught us but he did it anyway.

March, that was the month we graduated, that's the only March connected to my class. Our uniforms were often covered by a sweater since it was damn cold in the room due to poor insulation and problems with the heat (the frost on the inside of the window made it tough to see out) and lunch was had at whatever diner or pizza place we felt like going to that day.

And yes gang, it was a REAL Academy!

SO, when I read all about how tough all of you had it, keep in mind, we suffered cold, we suffered at least one unquallified instructor, second hand smoke and plus we had to park about 100 yards from the classroom having to cross a busy main street. We also had to FEED THE DAMN METERS when we took self defense. Some of us got PARKING TICKETS! On top of all that suffering, we had to DECIDED FOR OURSELVES what we were having for lunch each day. QUIT YOUR WHINING!
    :beer_yum:

Oh, and a few times we got together for beers after class. It was no Rose Garden, I can tell you that.

20. Loyal

Loyal MassCops Member

The MPTC academy sucked ! Run by a Trooper. 500 word to/froms if your name tag was the least bit askew or if a wrinkle or a speck of pollen was on your uniform. 5 mile run through woods the 1'st day..had to rest on our fingertips to wait for the slower runners. Never got out at specified time. BUT, at end of the academy you felt that you truly earned the job. Things have gotten a lot softer, from what I hear, nowadays. It is true that the best trainining is on the job experience...live and learn.

21. pahapoika

pahapoika Subscribing Member

DOC was short, 7 weeks i think.

running,calisthenics,shooting 38 spl, mini-14, 12 gauge. spending one day a week working different institutions, asking men to take their clothes off :tounge_smile:

wrote 2 reports . one explaining why i was drinking coffee during formation and one for showing up soaking wet ( road a motorcycle in everyday )

we were all in pretty good shape. not like some of the fatties graduating now