Hello | MassCops

Hello

Discussion in 'Welcome New Members' started by Tarmo, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Tarmo

Tarmo MassCops Member

I've been lurking on here for a while, but figured I might as well post one of these days. I'm currently a junior pursuing a criminal justice degree, and also just recently hired as a police cadet over in Umass Amherst. I've been interested in law enforcement since I was 15 and had a few internships including Brockton police dept., as well as graduating from the State Police Student Trooper program. My main goals are to finish up with a master's degree and pursue a federal position if possible. And have no fear, I'm well aware of using the search function before asking any questions.

2. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

Welcome to MC

3. Gil

Gil Founder of MassCops Staff Member

Welcome to the site. Thick skin is a must here... We are not called asscops on other forums for no reason. The members here will not sugar coat anything and have no problem throwing the bullshit flag when needed. Some complain that we are not professional in our posts... Hello?? we are not at work, for most of us this is our playground on the net and we do at times cross that bs political correctness line.

That being said, enjoy your stay...

4. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Welcome aboard.

See above.

5. 7costanza

7costanza Supporting Member

Welcome!!, UMASS Amherst, good fuckin luck to you.

6. Tarmo

Tarmo MassCops Member

Thanks, I'll probably need it. I go to a much smaller university with only about 5,000 in attendance, so I'm sure it'll be a rude awakening.

Thanks, I'll be sure to keep that in mind. Just out of curiosity, do you work for Attleboro PD? Saw some posts that suggested that, but I'm only asking as I used to live there and one of my friends just got recently hired as an officer there.

And for the rest, thanks for the warm welcome. I figured I'd need thick skin in this forum and I wouldn't expect any different. I'll try not to cause too much trouble though; I'm a relatively easy going guy.

7. CJIS

CJIS MassCops Member

Welcome. It sounds like you are the right track. Good luck in your future endeavors

8. zm88

zm88 MassCops Member

Welcome and good luck to you

9. Wildcard

Wildcard MassCops Member

As usual, great stuff to be offered on this site.

I'd also like to comment that you sound like you're on the right track. Someone like yourself makes me play the, "If I could do it all over again," game. At the age of 20 (guessing around there), I was no where near as serious as you are and it definitely makes me envious that I didn't put myself in a similar situation at your age. And I'm still not where I want to be yet! Keep up the good work.

10. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

You've been advised to have a thick skin. This is actually good training. I'm not kidding. If you can take some of the stuff thrown your way here, you might do well out in the real world.

Very good people on here with some very sound advice. The occassional dipshit will rear his ugly head, but by and large, this is a very good place to make some good connections, friendships and learn a few things.....ASSHOLE!

See, there, I'm teaching you all ready.

Welcome aboard and best of luck to you.

11. CPT Chaos

CPT Chaos Subscribing Member

Let me quote myself from another post:

You want an academy? Go Military Police in the Guard or Reserve.
    Great experience and looks great on your resume.
    Then use the GI bill for a CJ degree and/or a civilian academy.
    Anyway, GOOD LUCK!

You sound "Squared away". STAY THAT WAY!

12. Tarmo

Tarmo MassCops Member

Thanks for the advice. I'm sure it's nothing to compare to, but I've been working retail the past two years, and dealt with plenty of people with an axe to grind. Looking forward to see if that helps at all with the job at Amherst.

And as for being squared away, I've always kept it as a goal to do so. I realize it's a competitive field especially in the federal sector, so I've been trying to do my best to get as much experience as possible. As for many of you recommended joining the military, it's been the advice of nearly everyone I've talked to since I've been interested in law enforcement. However, I'd rather not use the military as a means to the end or as a stepping stone, and especially since my heart wouldn't be set on it.

13. Kilvinsky

Kilvinsky I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.

When I was a youngster, I had my life all planned out. I could clearly see just where I was going and how I was going to get there. Though when younger still I had thought of going in the Army, when I hit my teen years and actually started working I thought, "Do I really want to take a job where, if I don't like it, I can't just QUIT? What if a dream job comes my way but I'm obligated to two or more years? Nah, I'll pass." And I didn't join. Also, as silly as this is, at 17, my then girlfriend had a good friend (also 17) who was dating an Army recruiting Sgt. who was 27. I felt that was just a bit sick so that also influence my decision (as stupid at THAT thought was) and I just wouldn't cooperate with the guy.

I have no serious regrets with how things have gone for me, and actually, I'm pretty pleased over all, but it's still the biggest regret I'll ever have.

I don't blame you if you don't join, but it's not something you can suddenly, 20 years later say, "Ah hell, why not?!?"

14. Big.G

Big.G In Tactical Mode....

Whoa there, Charlie-Unit..... Haven't even made it to Day 1 of your in-house academy and you have the uniform patch as your avatar and your dept. ID number as your username.... Very original. I've read through your posts and you don't seem like a jerkoff. Regardless, I'm sure the full-time officers who will be your instructors will be sure to give you a warm welcome on Day 1... Yea, they're pretty good at that.. If you're wondering, people have cried and people have dropped out of the academy. I hope you're in shape because they will PT you, not so much until you die, but until your ass is sucking buttermilk. :shades_smile:

Good, don't try to be a hero out there...if you make it through the academy. You're going to be out there on foot in the residential areas seeing shit the officers riding around in the cruisers won't. Keep your eyes and ears open and be the best witness you can be.

Trust me, it won't compare. You will be among a group of the single most hated people on the UMass Amherst campus. Strap yourself in, because you're in for a hell of a ride.

If you do make it, be safe out there. If you can afford it, get yourself a ballistic vest.

This may put things into perspective for you.

The Daily Collegian

And another thing, don't trust those snakes working the desk (security monitors). Don't talk about the job with them, ever. They will try to finagle some information out of you, guaranteed. You may be there helping them out but they'll stab you in the back if they get the chance, just to help a fellow student out. They're just shithead students looking for a paycheck.

---------- Post added at 19:03 ---------- Previous post was at 18:56 ----------

Actually, didn't Gil do that?

15. ArchAngel2

ArchAngel2 Grand Admin Commander

Welcome aboard, the other members have already given the same advice I would have.......have fun on the site

16. Tarmo

Tarmo MassCops Member

Yeah, I wouldn't expect anything less. I've been running, doing sit ups, and push ups as they recommended. As for the disciplinary part, which is what I assume you were talking about, I had the troopers yelling at me a few years ago and I got attuned to that environment quick. Hopefully things will fall into place this time around as well.

I'll try to do as you suggested, and I know where to draw the line. I realize I'm not an officer, and I'm not law enforcement; I'm there to observe and to report.

Am I allowed to purchase a ballistic vest? Didn't realize I was able to do so.

I'll try to keep that in mind. Thank you for all the suggestions, I do appreciate them.

17. justanotherparatrooper

justanotherparatrooper Pissin' in liberals cheerio's for 40 years :) Staff Member

when youve got a little extra change in your pocket become a subscribing member...it has its benefits :)

18. Big.G

Yes, you can but you will have to pay for it yourself and they're not cheap. UMPD carries the Sig P220 (.45 ACP), so I would be sure to get a level IIIA vest. I would recommend Guardian in Springfield as they carry Point Blank. Plus, the owners of Guardian are/were police officers. Sentry in Chicopee carries Armor Express. Or you could buy a cheap piece of shit from Galls...it is better than nothing.

19. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

I disagree about the IIIA...I was issued one, and absolutely hate it. The .45 ACP is one of the easier rounds to defeat because of its relatively slow velocity and wide width, so a II or even a IIA would be fine.

20. Big.G

I won't disagree with that. I currently wear First Choice's heaviest level II vest, which I'm pleased with. While it isn't certified to stop a .45, First Choice said it should stop it without any problems. My department was contemplating going to a .45 but we all have level II vests since we carry .40s. Someone from the department tested out a M&P45 and shot someone's vest with it and the vest stopped the bullet. First Choice just wouldn't make any guarantees about the vest stopping a .45 so we stuck with the .40 for liability reasons.

21. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Several years ago I shot one of my retired IIA vests (over 10 years old and worn every shift) with a 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, & a .357 Magnum, and it stopped them all.

22. Big.G

Unfortunately, that isn't the guarantee the Chief was looking for.

23. honor12900

honor12900 MassCops Member

Got to love those results!

24. Tarmo

Tarmo MassCops Member

Well, I'll try to see what I can do when it comes to a ballistic vest once I get on the job. I've been pricing them out though, out of curiosity.

Oh and Big.G, the reason I found this site originally was because I was searching for more information and discovered the news stories you posted about the police cadets.

25. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

We're in the process of going to .45's, so I hope my chief isn't as anal as yours regarding vests, because I'm coming up on a replacement and REALLY don't want another IIIA.