Hello from the West side | MassCops

Hello from the West side

Discussion in 'Welcome New Members' started by mok617, Feb 14, 2016.

1. mok617

mok617 New Member

How's it going everyone. New member here, but I wish I found this site a long time ago. A little about me... I'm a 26 year old Bostonian who moved out to San Francisco about a year ago. I took the civil service test twice back in Mass, and got a card once for Boston PD, passed everything but wasn't selected for the academy due to them filling all of the spots before getting to me on the list. My score had expired at that point so I was out of luck. I wasn't satisfied with that result so I decided to accept an opportunity at work to transfer to our S.F. office. I applied to a couple departments out here and I'm proud to say I was offered a job with the Los Angeles Port Police. I applied this past summer and will be starting the academy in March.

I just wanted to say hello to everyone and also let others here who have been trying to get on know that there are opportunities out there if your willing to move and that the process, at least in my experience in LA, has been much much smoother than the civil service. Not easier, but when you pass something its right on to then next step, very little waiting around.

But enough of me though, how do you all do.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  2. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

Welcome! I have no idea if he still there, but one of my friends who used to work for a law enforcement agency at the Port of Los Angeles speaks highly of Greg Winfield. Good luck with the academy and keep your head down.

3. LA Copper

LA Copper Subscribing Member

Congrats. Just out of curiosity, why did you choose the Port instead of the City itself?

Either way, you'll be attending our academy so I hope you enjoy it. Make sure you're in good running shape.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  4. mok617

mok617 New Member

Thanks Goose.
    I sent you a message LA Copper.

5. LA Copper

And a PM sent back to you

6. felony

felony MassCops Member

That's great, I had no idea LAPD had a Port Police Department.

7. Goose

Goose The list is long but distinguished. Staff Member

LA Copper and felony like this.
  8. felony

felony MassCops Member

HAHA that makes sense then. So they are similar to the NY/NJ Port Authority police? Seems like a awesome gig, being on the water and not having to shag MVA calls and domestics.

9. LA Copper

The LA Port Police are their own agency, however, they are still a part of the City of Los Angeles. The LA Airport Police are the same. They are their own department but they are also part of the City. The LAPD is a part of the City as you may have already guessed. :)

I believe the Port has a little over a hundred guys. The Airport has around 500 and the LAPD has around 10,000.

Goose likes this.
  10. patrol22

patrol22 MassCops Member

That's a cool set up. I imagine there are no shenanigans like back here regarding who can write tickets, who's a real cop, blah blah blah.

Ahhh if only I moved out there when I had the chance, I wouldn't be looking out into -5 degree temps right now

Oh well! o_O

pahapoika likes this.
  11. LA Copper

Everyone plays together just fine out here as far as I know. We all have the same mission so why wouldn't we? There are plenty of bad guys and plenty of work to go around. It should be the same there and anywhere for that matter.

PBC FL Cop and Goose like this.
  12. mok617

mok617 New Member

I appreciate the support from everyone and I'll make sure I do the MC community and the Commonwealth proud.

LA Copper, mtc and pahapoika like this.