Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats going on everybody. My name is Shane. I just moved out to Idaho from the boston area. Now i started at ISCI (Idaho State Correctional Institution) about 3 months ago. I went through the post acedemy and now im at the medium custody institution. Now i do want to move back to mass. So does anybody know how much mass doc starts out at? By the time i move out there i will obviously have experience and i also have a degree so will that make the pay differ? Also whats the academy like? Please any info would be greatly appriciated!!

Thanks again
shane

·
Registered
127 Posts
At some point someone had posted the salary levels on this site, I don't know them off hand. I do know there is a ton of overtime available and they make good money. I don't think they give your more money for experience. If you want to get hired you need to take the test and score well. I am not sure if that is how it worked out there or not. They do get a monetary bonus or "incentive" for a degree, but again I am not sure how much it is.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. WEll i know i originally had to pass a behavorial interview before i could get hired. Then i had to pass like 5 other tests,then there was the post academy which you had a test each week and a final exam. Reason why im asking about the pay is because Idaho dept of corrections only starts out at $11.53. Granted the cost of living is waaaaay cheaper, but i love boston and want to come back. IDOC is trying to get a pay raise for all corrections but who knows when that will happen. They have to hire new people every month because people keep leaving.

Shane

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
Shiz,
Better hurry.
MASSACHUSETTS HUMAN RESOURCES DIVISION
OPEN COMPETITIVE EXAMINATION
ANNOUNCEMENT NUMBER: 6900
CORRECTION OFFICER I
DEPARTMENT OF CORRECTION
$75.00 Examination application fee required.
Money orders, Bank checks, MasterCard or Visa accepted.
No cash or personal checks.
Starting Salary Range: $1,516.15 - $2,084.98 Bi-Weekly
Apply on-line at: www.csexam.hrd.state.ma.us/hrd/
Last Date to Apply: August 22, 2005 Please file early.
Examination Date: September 24, 2005

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I woulndt be moving back untill i have a little more experience under my belt. But that does give me and idea about the pay.

Thanks again

Shane

·
Registered
97 Posts
Kid, your experience in the DOC in another State won't make a difference as for the hiring process or the money that you will start at in the Mass State DOC. Everyone starts at the bottom of the barrel. Just leaving Mass you will know that this State is based on Civil Service, correct?

If you want to move back, I suggest you do it now and take the civil service test. The Mass DOC can not get enough people interested. Your time in out west will not help you any faster in getting this job in Mass. You're just killing time out there.

Take the time to read other posts as far as the hiring process, the academy, and etc as said by others. There is a lot of good information given by a lot of good people that post on this site.

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
GateKeeper said:
...There is a lot of good information given by a lot of good people that post on this site.

You said a mouthful GK.

Shiz - take a look through the past 20-30 Posts in the Corrections Forum.
You will find an abundance of knowledge posted by current and past DOC Officers.

Pay special attention to posts by:
GateKeeper, JGH7223, Barbrady, BOSSMAN, PearlOnyx, Cone968, BigIrish, EJK55, IRISH_SCREW, and SGT_GRUNT_USMC.

They have gone out of their way to offer as much friendly advice as they can for those of us out of the know. And you wont find a better bunch of guys.
Good Luck!! :thumbup: And keep us posted of your progress. KK

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well first of all, my experience out here WILL make a difference. Im sorry but any experience is good experience. Im not worried about getting a pay hike, but it will help me better understand my job. If you didnt know Idaho dept of corrections, is one of the best prisons in the US. They call it the "Hilton" of prisons.Theres lots of programming and recividism is pretty low. Granted our Prisons are over crowded, but there is so many new riders coming in filling up the tiers.Now mass DOC, i know for a fact has alot more uses of force than out here. I want to learn my job to the teeth. That way im not getting sued by offenders. And either way i could pass the civil service exam with ease. Im not worried about that at all. So ima do a couple of years out west, possibly see the P&P side of things and take it from there.

GateKeeper said:
Kid, your experience in the DOC in another State won't make a difference as for the hiring process or the money that you will start at in the Mass State DOC. Everyone starts at the bottom of the barrel. Just leaving Mass you will know that this State is based on Civil Service, correct?

If you want to move back, I suggest you do it now and take the civil service test. The Mass DOC can not get enough people interested. Your time in out west will not help you any faster in getting this job in Mass. You're just killing time out there.

Take the time to read other posts as far as the hiring process, the academy, and etc as said by others. There is a lot of good information given by a lot of good people that post on this site.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.