Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Published: August 01, 2008 03:57 am ShareThisPrintThis
Heard Around Town: Cousins brings in reinforcements

Along with volunteers and city workers, a group of prisoners from the Essex County House of Correction are also helping at Yankee Homecoming.
Essex County Sheriff Frank Cousins, the chairman of this year's Yankee Homecoming, is using the resources from his professional job to help make the eight-day celebration run smoother. Cousins, a Newburyport resident, said two groups of four prisoners are helping out around town.
Their primary job, he said, is to empty trash barrels along with the city's Department of Public Services, and also do things like weeding.
Cousins said one of the four-member crews is a crew that usually does work at the statehouse in Boston, where workers do jobs like painting.
For the workers, it's a pretty good gig. As one of the workers walked to another trash barrel Wednesday afternoon, he said he was thankful to be able to work during Yankee Homecoming.
"It's definitely nice," said the man, who did not want to give his name.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Someones cranky.....maybe someone is pissy because we don't like the idea of putting cons around our signifigant others and kids???

Leave them dodging cars on highways with pick sticks...or bring back chain gangs..I mean it's bad enough to see Middlesex County's safeboat on the MERRIMAC RIVER!!! which I am sure had something to do with this...

AND HOW IS IT THERE HASN'T BEEN A SINGLE COMMENT ON THE IRONY OF A SHERIFF BEING THE GRAND POOBAH OF A PARADE????......HAHA

·
Registered
495 Posts
Someones cranky.....maybe someone is pissy because we don't like the idea of putting cons around our signifigant others and kids???

Leave them dodging cars on highways with pick sticks...or bring back chain gangs..I mean it's bad enough to see Middlesex County's safeboat on the MERRIMAC RIVER!!! which I am sure had something to do with this...

AND HOW IS IT THERE HASN'T BEEN A SINGLE COMMENT ON THE IRONY OF A SHERIFF BEING THE GRAND POOBAH OF A PARADE????......HAHA
"All good things to those who waits". Hannibal Lector

·
Registered
189 Posts
The point is that first of all they are not left alone, they are with an officer at all times.Second, the Newburyport police who have total control(a certain sergeant whose name I will not mention)have no problem with it.Third, I have kids also, but I know that the work release inmates doing the labor are not in for any type of offense that would put them a danger to the public.If your worried about inmates, you should stay at home because eventually they are released from prison, at least some of them.

·
Subscribing Member
583 Posts
Whichever inmate empties the most trash cans for the weekend gets a reserve deputy badge, and immediate assignment to the special operations division...

·
Undefined
2,255 Posts
the work release inmates doing the labor are not in for any type of offense that would put them a danger to the public.
Then why were they locked up in the first place?

"If your worried about inmates, you should stay at home because eventually they are released from prison, at least some of them."

Are you F'n serious?!? I don't even know where to start with that one.

·
1,952 Posts
I cannot remember if I posted this years ago or not, but it relates...

I was on the Cape and this work crew was building a brick walkway for the town hall, I think just 3 of them, maybe 4 with one CO. These tourists (international) kept coming up to me asking if their jumpsuits were a joke and I explained no they were real prisoners. So I told the CO about it and thought it was funny to. A few minutes later, one of the prisoners was picking up a power saw to cut a brick and at the same time a group of people were staring at all of them not knowing what to make of it. The CO notices and says to them as he turns "oh my god run for your life he has a saw!!" (as the prisoner just so happened to be revving it about to cut into the brick). The family stopped dead and just this deer in headlights look. The CO said in less than a second that he was kidding and began to explain what they were doing. They enjoyed it, and I sure as hell did to.

·
Registered
779 Posts
The point is that first of all they are not left alone, they are with an officer at all times.
Hmm...1 unarmed CO with 10ish cons generally stretched out over a mile?? I'd take those odds as a con anyday...and I'd be running like Rockerfeller...

Second, the Newburyport police who have total control(a certain sergeant whose name I will not mention)have no problem with it.

You NEVER have total control of anything in police work my friend...so that's either being naive or a combination of inexperience/ignorance of police work by Sheriffs in Mass...thats exactly why you shouldn't be out there on the road...
And I'm sure the troopers on Scotland Rd appreciate being stripped of their authority in Newburyport...
Third, I have kids also, but I know that the work release inmates doing the labor are not in for any type of offense that would put them a danger to the public
Yeah ummm.....you're talking about people who actually did something to get jail time in the Republic of Mass right? Just because you choose to overlook that as a parent don't expect us to do the same...

If your worried about inmates, you should stay at home because eventually they are released from prison, at least some of them.

Maybe you forget how they come into the custody of the Sheriff in the first place....let me help....POLICE lock them up when they break the law...Sheriffs are responsible for the care,custody and control of said inmates ..NOT doing parades...dog shows....driving boats from stolen grants in other waterways where they don't belong...the Sheriff doesn't have a magic dust or grow inmates out back so you can have a job
And no I am not afraid of cons....but I don't want them near my kids when I bring them to a friggin parade just so a media hungry Sheriff and his friends can get photo ops..

·
Registered
779 Posts
Well one thing I can say is that Worcester DID have a mounted unit for parades...they are LONG gone...
Wonder if K-9 is one of the guys I saw in Lynn that night hangin out or one of the guys in the pictures from the other threads....

·
Registered
63 Posts
Wow, I don't think I have ever seen such ball-breaking towards another law enforcement agency in my life. haha. Obviously, I'm missing something but why the hostility towards the Sheriffs Departments here in Mass?

·
Masscops Therapist
7,306 Posts
Wow, I don't think I have ever seen such ball-breaking towards another law enforcement agency in my life. haha. Obviously, I'm missing something but why the hostility towards the Sheriffs Departments here in Mass?
if you earned your position as a LEO, and someone else BOUGHT their position with donations, wouldnt that make you a little hostile too?

G

·
If the various sheriff's departments in MA stick to their job, which is solely the care, custody and transport of inmates either awaiting trial or sentenced to less than 30 months in jail, then the police and the sheriffs will get along great.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The point is that first of all they are not left alone, they are with an officer at all times.Second, the Newburyport police who have total control(a certain sergeant whose name I will not mention)have no problem with it.Third, I have kids also, but I know that the work release inmates doing the labor are not in for any type of offense that would put them a danger to the public.If your worried about inmates, you should stay at home because eventually they are released from prison, at least some of them.
A few years back a guy was on work release from the Essex County Sheriffs dept. working for the town of Andover I think it was. Long story short. He walks away, rapes and brutaly beats a mentaly disabled women nearly to death. He had several violent charges on his record.
He also sends them to the Topsfield Fair to pick up trash. While they are free to mingle without anyone knowing there are inmates working.
Thats the Departments company response to any questions about work release inmate " they are not in for any violent offense" THIS TIME!
It's all just one big lie!
For the record, what are there like 16 or 17 K9 officers in Essex now? I know they keep one at the pre release center in lawrence all the time and inmates escape from that place left and right all the time.... nice job! oops I"m sorry the Dept. refers to that as a walkaway not an escape .....my bad!

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I saw Middlesex Sheriff working the Natick Mall Detail today. Has natick ever heard of calling other towns for the details??

·
Registered
63 Posts
Question to the police officers...have you ever run into a Sheriffs Dept cruiser patrolling your jurisdiction while you've been on duty? Do some counties allow their deputies to patrol and if so, are they requested by the police departments who are low staffed?

·
Public Trough Feeder
5,181 Posts
Question to the police officers...have you ever run into a Sheriffs Dept cruiser patrolling your jurisdiction while you've been on duty? Do some counties allow their deputies to patrol and if so, are they requested by the police departments who are low staffed?
This was last discussed about a week ago...starts around psot #65. Have fun.
http://www.masscops.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65584

·
Subscribing Member
456 Posts
Mike QUIT STIRRING THE SHIT POT!!!! You know the answer!

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Sit back and grab a cold one and read all of the sheriffs threads.
There are to many posts to point out one here and there.
It probaly would be eaiser to point out a thread that does not
have a post refering to your questions.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts