Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have searched this topic and read what was said, but I need some personal information. I am finishing up a degree in Business, have stellar grades, and have been trying high and low to obtain a position in Healthcare Security. The local hospitals near me are Caritas Holy Family, Lowell General, Lawrence General, and Saints Medical Center. I have basically crossed Saints off because from what it looks like, they want someone with an academy behind them. Lawrence General has a nice facility and they want their officers IAHSS certified. I figured I would take the initiative to buy the manual and pay for the test myself. I did everything in less than a week and thus have reapplied. Would calling the HR Department seem like too much of a huant, or if I word myself correctly would it seem more like a very interested candidate. I will take the advanced and supervisor tests, but currently have little to no money to buy the materials. I figured I am already showing initiative by doing it on my own, but does anyone else have any suggestions? Thank-you for all your prior answers and comments.

·
Administrator
8,417 Posts
Hi Adam, have you tried the Boston hospitals?
I can't speak from experience, but from what I've read in the forums and from private discussions with members, you could pick up a ton of experience and they seem to recruit often.

MGH, BUMC, BIDMC (just to name a few)...
Could be an opportunity for you at one of those facilities...:2c:

Good luck!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Kozmo for the info, unfortunately I check daily and apply when a position opens for BIDMC, MGH, Tufts-NEMC, Faulkner, Cambridge Health Alliance, and BMC. If you check the NEMC job postings, they must have close to 10 openings, I both applied online and faxed over a cover letter and resume. What really stinks is that most places now don't even have paper applications, so taking a trip to HR to make you face known doesn't even help anymore.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
It is tough to get into dept's like these without any exp. I do understand how frustrating it can be, but keep trying and take whatever you can and then build from there. It is just like everthing else, don't give it and apply 100 times if you have too.
Good job with the IAHSS exam, the advanced it very easy also.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mass, thank-you for the positive praise, I will definitely keep on applying. I would love to take the advanced test, but when I say I am beyond broke I truly mean it. I have been looking at the usual contract security places including Allied Barton. I will take a job if offered and use it as experience. Again, thank-you.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Mass, thank-you for the positive praise, I will definitely keep on applying. I would love to take the advanced test, but when I say I am beyond broke I truly mean it. I have been looking at the usual contract security places including Allied Barton. I will take a job if offered and use it as experience. Again, thank-you.
You welcome! With the positive attitude that you have, you will achieve a position somewhere. Some companies look for a diamond in the rough with no exp.
Keep in mind that there are hotels and motels out there too that have proprietary security also.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Apollo does or did have the contract for metrowest natick.

I think psych hospitals would offer the best training for a police officer however, I am sure nothing beats the ER/Psych Hospital security guard roles. Most security guards in stand a lone psych hospitals do lock and key, however do interact with patients and as a liaison on when to call the police and assisting the police in investigations of patients in the hospitals (ones who do bad things like destroy whole rooms or sneak drugs into the detox unit).

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Absolutely, Psych and the ER are the most likely places for violence to occur, thus the need to be on high alert. I know being a former Nursing student and hospital employee, the ER saw it's fair share of overdoses, drunks, and psychs. Of course there are the usual rounds, but when a call is placed, you'd bet I'd be there in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I finally received the IAHSS certificate in the mail, at least I can include that with the applications now. I have contacted a few HR departments in regards to the current hiring status and am currently waiting for a response. Everyday I wait for the phone to ring, but to my dismay it is usually a telemarketer.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I don't know where you live Adam1984,but there is always this company in the Boston Globe that is looking for armed patrol officers....must have knowledge of Boston streets. There is only a phone number that is always listed. Check it out if you want.

·
Subscribing Member
3,289 Posts
G

·
If you have a medical background and you're interested in healthcare, try looking into a Special Agent position with the US Dept of Health and Human Services, Office of the Inspector General, Office of Investigations. They investigate healthcare fraud within the federal programs ie Medicare and Medicaid.
FREEZE!!!!

Drop the Medicare card and get on your knees!!!!

:p

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I can pretty much only wait now, I applied via the online application, snail mail, and fax. If this doesn't work, well then, I might just give in for a while. Until then, I can only hope for the best. On a slightly, and I mean slightly better note, I have an interview with my local police department next week. They are hiring 10 reserves yet in the local paper today because of the statewide financial crunch, they are looking to lay off 4 full-time officers. Things just keep on getting better and better. After these options are exhausted, I have looked in joining a reserve branch of the military or just moving away to a place where hiring is done on a more frequent basis.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Things are going to get worse. Its sad but true. I hope we don't see what happened in the early 90s come back again. I know some cities put officers through the academy then could not afford to pay them when they graduated. Thus leaving new unemployed police officers.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If I can get some Military experience in as well as finish my degree, Austin TX and the whole state look very pleasing. I just have to convince the fiance that there is no future in this cold and dreary hellhole. Heck, she knows first hand working for DSS, sorry DCF.

·
Premium Member
2,371 Posts
Well I finally received the IAHSS certificate in the mail, at least I can include that with the applications now. I have contacted a few HR departments in regards to the current hiring status and am currently waiting for a response. Everyday I wait for the phone to ring, but to my dismay it is usually a telemarketer.
Adam...check your PM's

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just caught this thread today sorry it's a little late and don't know if you still check it or not, but I am currently with MGH PD right now and going through their HR departments will prob get you know where. I actually had to track down who does the hiring for the department and I contacted him directly. A lot of the people here do have experience, but I have seen people get hired with a BA degree in whatever,it doesn't matter. Once you you have been here long enough and you are squared away they will send you to the intermittent academy for you SSPO and they will give you that IAHSS training as well. Don't know if that helps.........sometimes just submitting the online app isn't enough you have to track down whos in charge of hiring, these healthcare organizations get hundreds of apps a day.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I would stay away from DYS. However it could give you some reel world experience. So can working at a convenience store late at night in Mattapan by yourself.

The only thing good about DYS are those transit guys I see so often. They are always funny and never burned out. I am sure they worked there way up though.

Also stay away from private psych hospitals. With the exception of maybe Maclean. At the most a private psych hospital will have lock and key security, if that even.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts