Headlight housing | MassCops

Headlight housing

Discussion in 'Vehicle Laws' started by Loring, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Loring

Loring New Member

I am aware it is illegal in mass to tint or color your lenses. I am curious if the housing itself can be colored or black while the lenses remain clear?

2. RodneyFarva

RodneyFarva Get off my lawn!

My friend at this point in history you can have a mural of Ronald McDonald getting it raw dog from Col. Sanders on the side of your car and not get stopped.

Grant, Tango_Sierra, Sooty and 4 others like this.
  3. Loring

Loring New Member

That is hilarious, but did not really answer my question. Any one else? I'm rebuilding a audi and need to buy new headlights and I don't want to shell out money for something that wont pass inspection.

RodneyFarva likes this.
  4. Bloodhound

Bloodhound MassCops Member

You just won the internet.

5. Sooty

Sooty Administrator

A good body shop will know the answer... frankly I don't see what the "housing" color/tint has to do with the actual headlight?

Ohhhh..... wait.... if it in any way tints the glass over the headlamp... I would think that'd be a no no.

I googled this for you...
    any % of tint legal on headlights or taillights in MA?

RodneyFarva likes this.
  6. toliveira43

toliveira43 New Member

If I'm understanding you correctly, It would be similar to a Honda Fit headlight where the housing under the clear lens is color coded to the vehicle. If that is correct, I don't believe the housing color would be an issue. As long as the lens is clear and the emitted light isn't changed or lessened.
    I was a RMV inspector for a new car dealer that saw alot of vehicle modifications. Currently I'm a Vehicle Damage Appraiser for Mapfre Commerce Insurance.

RodneyFarva, mpd61 and Sooty like this.
  7. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

"The defense will concede that toliveira43 is an expert witness":p

RodneyFarva, HistoryHound and Sooty like this.
  8. Sooty

Sooty Administrator

That's one big I'd love to learn!
    Crash reconstruction from the inside out!

mpd61 likes this.