Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Lemme take a selfie
5,842 Posts
Wow... If I were one of those recruits waiting for their spot in the upcoming academy, I would be absolutely BULLSHIT at this Cardarelli toolbag.

Can't cut it?? Whine like a little bitch.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Wow... If I were one of those recruits waiting for their spot in the upcoming academy, I would be absolutely BULLSHIT at this Cardarelli toolbag.

If I was one of the guys who quit my job to start the academy and found out I wasn't starting after all I'd be more than bullshit.

Reactions: GARDA and Hush

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,768 Posts
Decorated Marine? Chesty Puller must be turning over in Arlington...Shit I know there are tougher Sea Cadets there on Sea Street. Hope the kid is happy now.
:p

·
Super Moderator
6,641 Posts
"The Arlington police department had five recruits who were supposed to attend so they’ll have to wait a bit longer before getting those five officers on the streets. Those officers have already resigned from their jobs"
???:confused:

Reactions: adroitcuffs

·
Subscribing Member
2,134 Posts
"The Arlington police department had five recruits who were supposed to attend so they'll have to wait a bit longer before getting those five officers on the streets. Those officers have already resigned from their jobs"
???:confused:
Pshaw.... it's just grammar and context, not anything important. :rolleyes:

·
MassCops Member
97 Posts

I see Fatarelli is making a name for himself but unfortunately this doesn't surprise me. I deployed with him and for the media to call him a "decorated Marine" is really a slap in the face for all who wear the uniform.

G

·
Boo fucking hoo.....you're going to get called a LOT worse names once you're actually on the job compared to the academy, and the academy staff CAN'T kill you. Not so much on the street.

The first week of my basic training, the drill sergeants were being really nice at breakfast one day, encouraging everyone to have seconds of the scrambled eggs and greasy bacon/sausage. I knew better, having gone to a military high school, so I was one of the few who wasn't projectile-vomiting during the subsequent 5-mile double-time march with full packs, boots, helmets, and weapons immediately after breakfast.

Amazingly, I didn't die or suffer PTSD as a result. I actually thought it was pretty funny.

·
Yeah, THAT GUY!
2,728 Posts
I actually thought it was pretty funny.
Cuz you're a sick bastard. But then again, a thick skin and a sense of humor is necessary for survival in the academy and on the street, never mind here :)

Reactions: lofu

·
Premium Member
1,336 Posts
I knew a kid that quit the SSPO on day 2. He said to me "when they (drill instructors) made comments about my father they crossed the line!". So he quit over that, and gave up a great job with excellent benefits. Last time I heard he was still working as a security guard. I am sure he wishes he toughed it out a decade later. I am a huge fan of aggressive drill instructors as it weeds out the weak among us. Our job isn't for the weak, scumbags will walk all over a weak Cop........I know of one academy that has the kinder/gentler approach. They pass just about everyone and their day 1 has very little chaos. In my opinion this just allows several weak recruits to make it to the street which isn't a good thing for any of us.........

·
MassCops Member
65 Posts
I just read the short article concerning this guy. How on earth did he make it through Marine Boot camp? Simply proof that no system is absolutly fool proof. //BREAK//

Happy Birthday to all you Devil Dogs!

·
Registered
11 Posts
First the election now this . Pussification of America is well underway . So right now they are delaying the start date of the November class or have they cancelled it outright ? What about the class currently in ? Have they finished ? They must be near the end . A good friend of mine was told by his agency he had a tentative start date of January for the T academy . Guess that's out the window.

G

·
II am a huge fan of aggressive drill instructors as it weeds out the weak among us.
I agree.....to a point.

Be aggressive and confrontational for the first week or two; that will weed out the weak and the attitude problems. After that, scale it down and make the focus to train the recruits to be independent thinkers who can make split-second decisions without the fear of someone with a campaign hat screaming in their ear.

G

·
I just read the short article concerning this guy. How on earth did he make it through Marine Boot camp?
You can't quit the military.

IMO, if you could say "Thanks, but I've had enough" during basic training, with no ramifications other than being unemployed afterwards, the drop rate of the military would be astronomical, which is why that's not an option,

·
Registered
309 Posts
- As an alumnus of both our states largest academy and this academy I can objectively state that the T Academy was far more "fair", consistent and equitable with behavior modification + stress inducers than the latter. With that stated, I find it appalling that the degradation trend continues in this state with law enforcement hiring practices, lowering of hiring standards due to court decrees, candidate screening and the "I deserve this" attitude growing within our ranks as exhibited by this recent incident. In my opinion, the staff was more than prepared to break down and build up academy candidates properly with professionalism and integrity; minus the minute discretionary hiccups along the way. I cannot say enough positive things about my alma mater and am still proud to be a graduate...despite the goose shit low crawls, worm body push ups, grave yard break-in, Quarry Hill torture, Frank W. blow-outs and Black Monday blues...

G

·
- As an alumnus of both our states largest academy and this academy I can objectively state that the T Academy was far more "fair", consistent and equitable with behavior modification + stress inducers than the latter. With that stated, I find it appalling that the degradation trend continues in this state with law enforcement hiring practices, lowering of hiring standards due to court decrees, candidate screening and the "I deserve this" attitude growing within our ranks as exhibited by this recent incident. In my opinion, the staff was more than prepared to break down and build up academy candidates properly with professionalism and integrity; minus the minute discretionary hiccups along the way. I cannot say enough positive things about my alma mater and am still proud to be a graduate...despite the goose shit low crawls, worm body push ups, grave yard break-in, Quarry Hill torture, Frank W. blow-outs and Black Monday blues...
I just FTO'ed some graduates of the T Academy, and the consensus seemed to be that they got broken down, but were never built back up.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Delta784,
This is disappointing to hear; there are probably cyclical ups and downs with any academy training.
This current graduate critique was not my experience, albeit, it was some time ago.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I am a huge fan of aggressive drill instructors as it weeds out the weak among us.
It can also cause hyper aggressive police officers with a chip on their shoulder who can't wait to take that aggression out on the general public. We don't need shit heads either. As others have said you need to build up a recruit after you have opened their eyes to a world of shit.

Our job isn't for the weak, scumbags will walk all over a weak Cop........
Our job has also changed and requires a higher level of intelligence to get it done imo. I personally do not think that this profession as a whole has acknowledged that the people being screened need a legitimate skill set you will not find in most candidates. I know New England is fucking rigorous in its hiring processes, but much of the country is not that way. And let's be honest most of the hardships associated with the civil service process have nothing to do with job. It's political bullshit at its finest. Ohio has a similar system and its just as painful.

With that all said, 30 years ago you could get away with a lot of shit that would simply be impossible today. Officers on the street are under a constant barrage of social media, cameras, political changes, etc that sometimes make you feel like you have very little movement in a very small box. Couple that with the growing trend of taking away an officer's discretion and ability to work on their own without micromanaged oversight and you have guys/gals who cannot think on their feet.

A police academy should be difficult, but not only because you have to do a million push-ups or get screamed at all the time. It should be difficult because a dozen tasks are thrown at you at once constantly. We all know guys that are PT studs (both former military and not) who lock the fuck up when they are the first on scene for a shooting/stabbing/whatever. It takes a lot of mental processing to weed out the bullshit, establish what is going on, get the perimeter going and keep updates flowing to the units tearing ass trying to get to them.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts