Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how this dept is to work for? they are currently accepting applicatiions. Salary, benefits, etc. thanks

·
MassCops Member
65 Posts
I think their like any large city. Very busy. I know they have everything up to a full Tactical Team and a dive team. I think they go to the CT municipal academy (equivelant to ours in MA, about 22 weeks but it may be a live in academy, I'm not sure).

I'm not sure about the pay, probably competative. At the time I thought about applying their residency requirement was very liberal, it may have changed. If you don't know anything about Hartford, go look around, there are some extermely bad sections, the police do not always "feel the love."

Two other departments to check into, are West Hartford (very nice and very upscale), and South Windsor (just north of Hartford) which has a very good rep in the state. What ever you do, stay away from New Haven!

Look into Norwich as well, they might be doing something.

·
Subscribing Member
292 Posts
I work with a former Hartford officer...if you want action I hear that is the place to go. They are EXTREMELY busy, as is Bridgport and New Haven. I believe Bridgeport will be hiring in the near future. The CT academy is POST and I am 99.9% sure that it is not live in. In fact, some of the full time academies are 'part time. ' I realize that sounds like an oxymoron, but from what I hear they cover everything that the 6 month full time academy does, and recieve the same certification, it just runs longer.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Re: re: Hartford, CT police

redpara said:
I think they go to the CT municipal academy (equivelant to ours in MA, about 22 weeks but it may be a live in academy, I'm not sure).

Two other departments to check into, are West Hartford (very nice and very upscale), and South Windsor (just north of Hartford) which has a very good rep in the state.

They run their own academy but have sent people to Meriden in the past.

West Hartford is the best department I have seen. Well funded and busy for a nice suburb, especially in the South

·
Registered
372 Posts
I called up Hartford a couple years ago to get on their test mailing list. When I read the info, it mentioned (in very small print) that Hartford residents get a 10 point Bonus on the exam. That was the end of that for me. I don't know if that's since changed though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
A friend of mine who works as a paramedic west of the river, mentioned that Hartford Police department is under staffed and is recruiting heavily. As for the city, while passing through I asked a CVS clerk why I had so much trouble finding an open convenience store at 2 pm. She said, "because we're renovating." I replied, "The city???"

To which she explained, "Yes, all of it."

http://www.hartford.gov/police/default.htm

·
Subscribing Member
451 Posts
A guy I work with got an offer from HPD last year... but a couple weeks before the academy they had budgetary problems and cut him. He wasn't a resident.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.