Happy Birthday US Army, and Good Bye Berets! | MassCops

Happy Birthday US Army, and Good Bye Berets!

Discussion in 'Military News' started by firefighter39, Jun 14, 2011.

1. firefighter39

firefighter39 Subscribing Member

2. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

Military News Section

3. Foxy85

Foxy85 MassCops Member

Was never a fan of the look. Always felt like I had a pancake slapped on the side of my face. Good for the Army.....

4. MSP75

MSP75 Guest

Commonsense has prevailed for once. It is good to see that the ACU is out of the Pentagon. I never thought BDU/ACU were appropriate for a garrison HQ.

Sent from my ADR6300

5. Tuna

Tuna Always entertained

Ah yes, the steel pot with liner, M16A1, M151A2, 5/4s, c-rats, OD greens, those were the days.

6. justanotherparatrooper

justanotherparatrooper Pissin' in liberals cheerio's for 40 years :) Staff Member

Happy birthday US Army....
    as far as the beret, should NEVER have been made Army wide, was a stupid fucking idea to make everyone feel "elite".It a different deal when you earn the right to wear one,whether airborne,Ranger or Green Berets.

7. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

I hated that thing.....good riddance.

8. Truck

Truck MassCops Member

Never understood why the army would want to copy the French.

9. CPT Chaos

CPT Chaos Subscribing Member

Half the troops did not wear it correctly anyway. It will not be missed.

10. Javert

Javert MassCops Member

Good riddance! Now we must get rid of the stupid new Army Service Uniform. I like to have a few different style dress uniforms (Blues/As/mess dress and the old but still authorized “whites”). I like how the Marines has (fill me in if you could) the Blues, then the blue pants with a tan shirt and white hat (my favorite) and a totally green dress uniform like our “old” class As. Maybe even a few guys here remember the old tan uniform (tuna)? But were going to get rid of the whites, which no one really has anyway and the greens and now we look like a cross between a Ritz doorman and BSA troop that accidently got to much money for uniforms one year. Hey…if one size fit all/simplicity was key then the ACUs would have worked, right?

11. SinePari

SinePari Needs more complaints

It was stupid. Most yahoos in garrison units never wore it properly. It looked like a bad 1980s movie with actors trying to wear them. I was never a fan of allowing non-airborne qualified soldiers to wear red berets in airborne units just for uniformity, either.

"Chandler pointed out that Soldiers didn't ask to eliminate the beret -- just to change when it's worn."

I really doubt that's what soldiers said. Nobody was doing cheetah flips when it was issued.

Gen Shinsheki was actually a brilliant commander, albeit it was like arguing with referee after a bad call: he was not going to change his mind.

I was a big fan of the OD Greens and the first evolution of the DCUs after going to Bright Star in Egypt.

12. mr_happy

mr_happy 5.56 Nato

while agree that the beret was a bad idea, i understand when it was implemented.

it was to symbolize the transformation to a smaller, faster more modular force under CSA, Gen Shinseki (sp). i actually did my military brief on the US Army Black Beret for my Basic NCO Course (BNCOC).

:teeth_smile:

The Army Black Beret

as far as those who hated the beret, the ACUs or any other "change" in uniforms, that's NOT the point. you wear what they give you with pride, set the example and enforce the standards...

13. Javert

Javert MassCops Member

That’s awesome, such uniform traditions! Yes, I understand wearing it with pride and “saluting the flag” but after a while it’s just nonsense. I don’t think Troopers for example would enjoy ANY sort of uniform transformations once every few years………let alone merging the 2 seasonal field uniforms into 1 for year round use!!

14. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

As Bobby Troup said in the original mash movie "Goddamn Army". The Beret was just as gay as the Navy coming out with "Surface Warfare" pin.
    STOOPID!!!!!!!!!!!! Leave such devices to the elite folks like Aviators, Paras, SOF, Submariners, CIB etc...
    :unsure:

15. SinePari

Then when you're done with the Kool-Aid, you can chime in with some adult posts. At the very least change isn't easy, but when the overwhelming majority of soldiers absolutely HATE the thing, command has to listen.

16. wolf9848

wolf9848 MassCops Member

Now what we need is to get rid of the horrible ACUs (Army Combat Uniform) we have now and either covert the entire force into Multi-cam uniforms or something better.

17. mr_happy

mr_happy 5.56 Nato

i've seen it goes both ways. i.e. the visitation policy in the barracks... i lived in the barracks when it was implemented. no bootie calls after mid-night. command NEVER listed. to this day, it's still the case. does it get enforced? usually not. trust me, i did NOT like the beret.. i've stood out in the sun with ith more than twice :rolleyes:

the ACU was introduced to merge the BDU and DCU. it made sense at the time... i was one of the few who waited till the very end to even buy them... -change is hard.

i first educated myself on proper use and care... it still kills me when i see people walking around with dirty boots and wrinkled up ACUs. it comes down to pride... just because i don't like them, it doesn't mean i get a free pass to look like a bag of shit either... all to often, that's the case.

18. SinePari

The only time I wore a beret was at a parade or a funeral. When "everybody else" went to berets we went back to patrol caps.

My unit had tailors put pockets on the sleeves and we were using velcro for years until the entire Army went that way. For a short while we actually wore Nomex flight suits with nothing on them.

I'm still a firm believer that their needs to be two separate and distinct US Armies. One of garrison, holding territory, doing the humanitarian assistance and looking good for the news. Then there's the black army that actually blows shit up and kills people. Those guys should wear whatever the hell they want (and usually do :wink_smile:) until some cheeseball colonel gets his panties all twisted up.

19. wolf9848

wolf9848 MassCops Member

Unfortunately most of the Military has become overun by the PC crowd. A place where even looking at a playboy or drinking an alcoholic beverage in a secured area while deployed will cost you your career. I'm surprised we're even still allowed to kill the enemy. Definitely not the same Military my Grandfather and his generation served in during World War 2, Korea,etc.

20. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

Look who the CiC is.....the same was said of the post-Vietnam, Jimmy Carter military.

Everything is cyclical.....this too shall pass when there's a real leader in the White House.

21. justanotherparatrooper

justanotherparatrooper Pissin' in liberals cheerio's for 40 years :) Staff Member

hat? they didnt propose a "couragous restraint" medal for not shooting someone youre allowed to shoot...go figure:rolleyes:

22. 31Aret

31Aret MassCops Member

One thing the beret did was keep multitudes of SGMs scrambling around shrieking that the patrol cap was not authorized, which in turn kept them from screwing up anything that meant anything. Other than that, good riddance to an impractical, unservicable piece of crap.