Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hanscom are Security Forces in the Military. They have a private outfit also doing security at the gates and searching of commerical vehicles there. The company is called U.S. Protect theyare civilians.

·
Registered
715 Posts
TheShield- Some of the military branches choose to use DOD Police Officers much more than other branches. The Air Force does not use them much usually only at reserve type installations in combination with military cops. The Navy seems to use DOD Police Officers the most out of any branch however, they also still use their own military cops as well. As for the civilians on the gates at Hanscom they have not been well recieved by the base community. It seems that most people prefer to see a genuine Air Force cop on the gate instead of a civilian. I assume people feel that way because of pride and tradition, I have to agree with them.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I prefer to see military at the gates when I drive through every morning because they seem to do a better job checking id's then the 300lb 50 year old or the 5'3" 70 year old. Thats at my base down in VA, the other ones that have professional looking sailors at the gates, they do a better job.

·
Registered
63 Posts
If anyone is interested in working as a DOD Police Officer, Devens will be hiring 3 officers within the next 5 months. However, one of the police duties is working the gate. As of yet, there is no age limit as long as you meet the physical requirements. It is a Good job, with decent pay and not much action, but it is a great place to start or finish your career.

·
Registered
16 Posts
FedCop said:
If anyone is interested in working as a DOD Police Officer, Devens will be hiring 3 officers within the next 5 months. However, one of the police duties is working the gate. As of yet, there is no age limit as long as you meet the physical requirements. It is a Good job, with decent pay and not much action, but it is a great place to start or finish your career.
What are the qualifications, if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
63 Posts
The physical requirements are not very complicated, and only consist of a complete annual physical, which includes an eye exam, hearing test, lung capacity test, drug testing...etc.

·
Registered
63 Posts
We do not have the 37 cutoff age, yet, due to the fact that we receive LE pay, but not LE retirement. However, that is supposed to change in the near future, as congress will be addressing the issue.

·
Registered
689 Posts
HR 1002 I believe is being looked at as we speak. This would give us DoD cops the LE pay and retirement. FedCop I sent you a PM.
sarge439

·
Registered
62 Posts
DOD @ Devens? How do you go about applying? How many officers are there currently? Do they have a station or some type of facility to work out of?

·
Subscribing Member
1,316 Posts
FedCop said:
As of yet, there is no age limit as long as you meet the physical requirements.
i thought DOD police fall under fed LEO standard and that the Max age at hiring was 37? I have just started applying, using usa jobs site and all the branches site and i swear i see that in all requirements. I thought if u were heading to FLETC u pretty much had to be under 37?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Right now the DOD Police are like every other Federal Uniformed Police Agency, we don't get Federal Retirement. The only LEO's that get the Federal Retirement are 1811 Special Agents. There was an act that was just passed called the Federal Law Enforcement Equality Act, where all Federal Uniformed Police Officers will now get the Federal Retirement, but even though it has been passed we stillare not getting it yet because OPM is still trying to figure out what to do with the Officers that are currently well above the 37 year age that there too old to just grandfather in. Once they figure it out we will get our Fed LEO Retirement.

As for DOD PD Devens, I can't get into how many Officers they have due to OPSEC but yes They do have a Police Station/Building to work out of and they get paid very well. They have a good gig there.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I can tell you that Devens officers are all GS06s they are starting around 39k plus they work 12hr shifts so you then get OT plus shift and sunday diffs. which will put you in the 50k area and added OT for sick/leave coverage. Staffing falls under OPSEC. There is fixed and vehicle patrol. You have authority to issue 1408s (parking tickets/no fine) and 1805s (used as a money ticket and criminal complaint)enforcing state law, UCMJ and US criminal code they are prosecuted at Hanscom AFB. There is a command post at the gate and a office. They are shortly moving to their own building. A good group of guys and base command is very supportive which is rare. They will be hiring at anytime at least 2.

·
Registered
186 Posts
EOD1,

Just like all Federal Jobs you have to go to www.usajobs.opm.gov and the look under job series. Federal Police Officers are series 0083, Park Ranger 0025, or Special Agent/Investigator 1811. Good luck in your hunt, if your smart and want a Fed Leo job you'll look anywhere but MA; Fed LEO Jobs in MA are few and far between.

·
Subscribing Member
1,316 Posts
DODK911 said:
EOD1,

Just like all Federal Jobs you have to go to www.usajobs.opm.gov and the look under job series. Federal Police Officers are series 0083, Park Ranger 0025, or Special Agent/Investigator 1811. Good luck in your hunt, if your smart and want a Fed Leo job you'll look anywhere but MA; Fed LEO Jobs in MA are few and far between.
yeah i have an account, with them along with almost every one in the 0025, 0083, 1811 series. its rather simple, once u get the hang off it. they email me the listings once a week. once u get the acount set up its not to hard. but u gotta set up an account on each site. DoA, DoN, DoAF, FBI, VA Sec Ser etc etc. most of the time u can upload or copy and paste ur resume, but some of them its all data entry.

I have applied to about 18-20 jobs so far. only one is in New Egland (Kittery ME).

·
Registered
73 Posts
EOD

For devens and other army jobs check this link http://cpol.army.mil/ it is the are job site. I worked at kittery. Good gig they are hiring 2 right now cut off is midnite tonite. VA w.roxbury/brockton is taking apps aswell. Do you have vet status? sometimes you can get hired under VRA bypassing regular postings

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.