Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok 'imaginary' scenario: There is a car with New Jersey tags and a Massachusetts Handicap permit hanging from the window. (This is at "John Doe" University in CT) The female student whose car it is, says it is her grandmothers permit, but she was using it while grandma visited from MA late on a thursday night. :roll: There was a piece of paper obstructing the picture etc. on the permit. I can't seem to find the Ch/Sec that would apply to this situation...improper use etc. If anyone could point me in that direction it would be great.

·
Super Moderator
7,167 Posts
I think they may actually be issued that way (with a white sticky address-looking label) stuck over the bottom of it (and typically overhanging) since I've seen so many of them.

However, I'm not sure why the registry does it; hopefully someone else may be able to provide some insight.

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
I'm not sure of the way the reg want you to do it. But if I saw a veh with a handicap placard and no one in the veh is handicapped but taking advantage of it, I would just write them for the violation, I do believe there is a misuse ch and sec in ma.

·
1,334 Posts
ROBOCOP1982";p="56964 said:
Ok 'imaginary' scenario: There is a car with New Jersey tags and a Massachusetts Handicap permit hanging from the window. (This is at "John Doe" University in CT) The female student whose car it is, says it is her grandmothers permit, but she was using it while grandma visited from MA late on a Thursday night. :roll: There was a piece of paper obstructing the picture etc. on the permit. I can't seem to find the Ch/Sec that would apply to this situation...improper use etc. If anyone could point me in that direction it would be great.
The girl could be giving a line of BS, but the scenario you gave is not that unrealistic or out of the realm of possibilities. The handicapped placards are issued to the "person" and not necessarily a vehicle like plates are. Not all handicapped/elderly people drive or have cars. Your also likely to find various out of state plates on vehicles of college students. If the college student has the plates from their home state, (CT and NJ are not that far which makes sense), and Grandma lives in Mass and comes to visit the handicapped placard should be given full-faith and credit. Which is why those with handicapped plates (regardless of state) can park in designated spots.

I would say get Grandma's phone number, see if she knows where the placard is and if she was there? If Grandma is giving you a line of BS about that then society has really stooped to a new low. If Grandma is on campus or in the vehicle, no issue, park there all day. If she is in Mass and grandchild has the placard in the window and parked in the spot...very bad...here is your gig.

In addition to the states specific laws, look toward the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). That may set minimum standards for states to follow how handicapped plates, placards, and permits are issued or designed.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Here's some info on HP plates/placards that I've gleaned from meeting with some attorneys at RMV in that section, experience with my late Father (who lost a leg and had HP plates) and a close friend (retired LEO with HP hang-tag).

- They used to issue mostly HP plates but due to the abuse of the privilege, the RMV has been issuing placards and hang-tags more than plates over the past number of years.

- The placard and hang-tag is mobile in the sense that it is tied to the HP Person and NOT the vehicle. If said handicapped person rides with a friend/relative in any of the 50 states, they are entitled to use the placard/hang-tag in any car and park in an HP space.

- If the person is NOT present (as either driver or passenger), the HP plate, placard, or hang-tag should NOT be used by another person!

- Someone bitched or sued about the "invasion of privacy" on the hang-tags (they have the person's name and picture on them) and thus it is now suggested (by RMV in MA and elsewhere) that the user slide this sleeve over the picture/name when they park! That's why you really can't tell by looking if the person who owns the hang-tag is currently present or not unless an officer approaches them while they are in/at the car.

HTH

·
Subscribing Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool...thanks for the info. The officers here thought it was a great idea to have a picture on the placard. Naturally they completely dont get why its covered! All I could say is "That's Massachusetts for ya!" :roll: :lol:

·
Registered
456 Posts
ROBOCOP1982";p="57039 said:
Cool...thanks for the info. The officers here thought it was a great idea to have a picture on the placard. Naturally they completely dont get why its covered! All I could say is "That's Massachusetts for ya!" :roll: :lol:
It's not just MA, my buddy in NH has the slider on his HP hang-tag as does every other car that I saw in NH with a hang-tag.

My understanding is that this is wide-spread across the US.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.