Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone out there had any experience with handheld computers\PDA's for patrol duty? I am talking about a Palm, HP, or Blackberry handheld(PDA), which in some cases are equiped with wireless software able to query LEAPS etc.

:-k

I know MSP was evaluating a Blackberry device. Troopers were reportedly using them at Logan, but I don't know what the disposition was.

Thanks,
Ryan

·
Subscribing Member
383 Posts
I know this subject has been covered on here before. Try using the search button on this website, and look up handhelds, PDA's, etc. You should be able to find something.

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
We (APD) looked into it a little and the monthly connect charges would not justify using them. The connect charges for the MDT's alone is a pain. We have a few laptops that the DETS can take with them (wireless connection to leaps) but they are rarely used.

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
As usual with me, it's kind of a different story, but we have two handhelds, and I think we are getting a few more. Personally, I think they are useless, because I think if your too lazy to walk 50 feet to the podium to use the computer at the desk, then something is wrong. Just seems like more money that could be spent on safe and appropriate staffing, that's diverted elsewhere. I've never actually seen anyone use one, other than the few times that the papers have come around to do a story on some of our new nifty technological stuff. However, they just installed a bunch of remote wireless access points inside the building, for "something new". So, maybe there are more to come in the future.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Making them cost effective sounds like the big issue. Places like Logan might benefit more from something like this. I am with you on the walking 50 feet deal. So it would seem for them to even be considered you would have to be working some place where your access to your MDT (if you even got one) is limited. Then again when some scum bag decides to test the water a hand held isn't going to help you floor his ass either.

·
Registered
70 Posts
We have three for our motorcycle officers. They were used for about the first month, because everyone was curious. Now they sit in the LT's office charging and I haven't seen them move in quite a while.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Cole. Do you have any idea why they sit idle now? Were the officers unhappy with them for some reason?

Ryan

·
Registered
70 Posts
I think that it is due to the new software we are using. Nothing ever seems to work right with them. Officers are supposed to be able to do reports, put incidents into the CAD system with the new software, and up date calls that are in the CAD, ( put themselves on location, clear, etc.). We have trouble just getting a listing back. We switched over to a new system that uses lap-top computers and blackberry’s from MDT's about a year ago. I expected problems for the first few months while they were getting things going, not a year. Most want the MDT's back. The software that we use is called "Pocket Cop".

·
Subscribing Member
431 Posts
I saw an HP handhelp from MILLIS PD. It is set up for wireless access through a Verizon wireless card. I guess it can do it all. I am waiting for a call back from one of the guys over there to get more specs on it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts