Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thinking about taking the Amtrak to NYC. As I qualify under HR218, what are the restrictions , if any, for possession of a handgun in carry on luggage? :BNANA:

G

·
rscalzo said:
I thinking about taking the Amtrak to NYC. As I qualify under HR218, what are the restrictions , if any, for possession of a handgun in carry on luggage? :BNANA:
I asked that question of Amtrak police (on their (800) number) and was told that hangun possession was only allowed in the case of prisoner transport or some other on-duty role. However, I also spoke to Amtrak police officers at Penn Station in New York and South Station in Boston and was told that no one would bother you if you carried on an Amtrak train.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I had the feeling that calling the 800 number would get a canned response. When I carry back to NJ to qualify under HR218 and the NJ Carry regulations it will be in my carry on and hopefully goes unnoticed by the general public.:DB:

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,693 Posts
Hmmm...

Why pack away your handgun in luggage? What good is it going to do you there if you need to protect yourself or fellow public travelers?

if you really want to invoke HR 218 as a qualified L.E.O. , I would think you would want to carry the firearm safely, and as you're trained to do, on your person and under your direct control.

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
If you qualify, you qualify and you are ostensibly carrying to further the agenda of HR218. To that end, you carry loaded, on your person (under your direct control), and concealed.
A police officer with a handgun in his luggage isn't really going to help a situation if the SHTF.

rscalzo said:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm only looking to transport it back to NJ where I re-qualify twice a year for the state's retired carry permit which I use for the qualification for HR218. As I normally drive down and back, it was never an issue but this time I'd like to try out the train.

I might carry it on my person as the weather will be cold compared to the summer months went I drive down in a tee shirt and never carry it on me but pack it in the console of the car. At least my coat and most likely a sweater will conceal it.

My concern was getting to the station and not be allowed to board due to the restrictions due to a metal detector of some other device. The strange part is that airlines are more cooperative in allowing possession in checked luggage than Amtrak.:t:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi, Amtrak only has Checked Baggage service on 1 train a day out of Boston and Providence. That is train # 67, which leaves Boston South Station at 9:45 pm and arrives in New York City around 2 am.

On the return trip, Amtrak has checked baggage service on train #66, which leaves New York City at 3:15 am and arrives in Boston South Station at 8:15 am.

Otherwise all luggage is carry on.

Officially Amtrak does not allow passengers to Carry firearm's on their person. Should you decide to carry, I would recommend you notify the conductor on board the train. Most of them are very law enforcement friendly. Do not speak to the assistant conductor, ask for the Conductor as he is in charge of the train. Inform him of who you are and where you are going.

Finally, be aware that you are taking a risk, despite HR 218, Amtrak is a Federal Government Owned Public Benefit Corporation, like the Postal Service. I don't know how much HR 218 effect's their own policies. Like anything, just use common sense.

Good Luck Qualifying.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. Since I retired I'm at the range three of four times a week. Qualifying will be a snap.

I hear from very reliable sources that New Hampshire hopes to have in place their guidelines for qualifying under HR218. That will save some times going back and forth. Although I have to return to NJ every so often to stock up on the Italian deli items that can't be found up here...........
:alcoholi:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.