Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what everyone on here likes when it comes to cuffs.I just got a new set of smith and wesson cuffs and they seem pretty nice. What does everyone else use. Iam thinking of getting a set of hinged cuffs as a second set. i have never used hinged before so do any of you have a pair that you would suggest.
Thanks

·
Subscribing Member
292 Posts
Smith & Wesson M 100s...great cuffs. I know many officers that swear by the hinged cuffs. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. The hinged cuffs are stronger (the chain is only as strong as its weakest link), but when you are struggling with a subject the chain is more manueverable. I guess it is a trade-off.

·
Registered
561 Posts
...or if you are trying to restrain a fat guy, or someone else who may not be able to get their arms back too far, the hinged ones are going to leave you high and dry!

-Mike

·
Registered
252 Posts
I love my peerless I have both hinged and chained, I've also used Hiatts and Smith's there ok too. The only ones I don't like are those American cuffs the ultra light no good.

·
Out of the Loop
2,512 Posts
tomahawk said:
...or if you are trying to restrain a fat guy, or someone else who may not be able to get their arms back too far, the hinged ones are going to leave you high and dry!

-Mike
Glad to see someone paid attention in Handcuffing!

What about fur-lined cuffs, makes for a great gag to slip into your partner's case when s/he isn't looking!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Dungie, of COURSE I paid attention! How could I not, he was twisting me like a pretzel while he tried to demonstrate how impossible it was to cuff someone with them double locked... d'oh!

kdk240 said:
No kidding.. absolutely carry a pair of each. (Chain and hinged) they will come in handy some day...
kdk, good thing you clarified -- I thought you meant you carried one regular, one fuzzy pair...

-Mike

·
Registered
160 Posts
I carry one of each, chained and hinged. I use my chained as a primary pair, and my hinged as a backup. Both are Hiatts, and have been using the same 2 for several years with no problems. Smiths are definately quality too. But I do agree that fur lined ones are more fun.

·
Subscribing Member
397 Posts
I personally like the hinged cuffs. I have a nice pair of S&W. But like Tomahawk said, P.I.T.A. if they're struggleing alot.
I'm planning on getting a pair of S&W chained with extra teeth, so if I need a pair for skinner or fatter wrist or if they guys statrs to struggle, I have them.

H.A.S.T. perfers hinged :lol:

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
Got S&W Hinged Cuff, been using them for 2 1/2 years with no problems and "controlling" a suspect who is fighting is defintely easier. But, like a lot of the other guys I also carry a pair of S&W chain cuffs for backup. I also carry an extra pair in my cruiser and it's also not a bad idea to invest in a pair of leg-irons for the really out of control.

·
Subscribing Member
4,316 Posts
I saw this nitwit yesterday , driving a 1992 old police car with 10 antennas and a pair of handcuffs hanging from his rear view mirror. DO these people actually think that they look like cops. Scary :?

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
I have a set of M-100's hung from a strap near the front of my belt for easy access, then a set of S & W hinged in a closed top pouch to the rear of my holster. I really don't use the hinged very often because of certain department regulations, but the few times I have, I like them. The only thing that's a down side to them, is that if you have a really big guy, there's no way your're getting them on.

·
Registered
56 Posts
We get issued with one set of rigid cuffs nowadays, which are great for "steering" the arrested scrote as they offer no slack and push right against their wrist bone, great for officer safety.

We used to be issued the set with chain in the middle, that was a nightmare when trying to cuuf someone during a fight !

G

·
Let me tell you...

Hinged cuffs are the way to go. There is no fumbling with the cuffs while you put them on and they are great for taking control over a hostile suspect. Very easy to use. You don't have to worry about them spinng or twisting...

I own two sets of Smith and Wesson Hinged cuffs.

Highly recommended!

·
Registered
371 Posts
I carry one of each and use the hinge as my primary. I feel that I have more control w/ the hinge than the chain and I don't have to fumble w/ the pistol grip technique that they teach you in the academy.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I carry hinged as a primary cuff and chain as a back up, and extra tooth cuffs in my duty bag. I have never had a problem getting the hinged on anyone. when i went through the academy all i used was hinged cuffs so i became very comfortable with my ability to get them on. Once one cuff is on, you have a lot more control over the person then you would using a hinged cuff. my recommendation is to use what you are more comfortable using. :shock:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts