Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Department are getting new guns. We were carrying the S&W 9mm however the new chief does not like it. The two in question are the 229 Sig Sauer and the .40 Glock. I have never shot the Sig however everybody gives it good reviews. I believe State Police carry Sig. I know that the Glock has its issues. Anyone have any input, experiences or preferences on the two?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Both are great guns. IF your agency is already carrying Smiths, Assuming they are traditional double/Single action guns ,learning a Sig will be easy. A added bonus off the SIg is its takedown prcedure. On the Sig the slide has to be locked to the rear in order to take the gun apart. ON the Glock you must pull the trigger in order to disasseble the gun. BOth are great guns, but I prefer the sig. Sig is also located in NH should your agency have any problems.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I regularly go shooting with someone who is issued a Sig 229, and I have to say it is one of the most accurate and dependable pistols I've ever fired. If I could justify buying one for myself, I would! I have never seen it jam, even with cheap range ammo after a full day of shooting.

I've never been a fan of Glocks, the few I've tried I did not like. I know that some of it is psychological since I like a pistol with good heft and feel to it, and the Glocks weigh less and seem slimmer...probably because the first handgun I learned to fire was the .45 when I was in the National Guard.

·
Subscribing Member
275 Posts
go for the P229. HK P2000's are pretty nice too. Glocks on the other hand, some people like them and others dont. try them out for yourself to see what fits your preference.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I prefer the glock, I have had mine for 11 yrs and have had only one problem on the range. The sig is a great gun do but here is the thing. If you are ever some place else and find yourself helping a brother or sister officer in the field and need to borrow a clip, you'll find that there are more glocks out thier then sigs. You decide.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I own a 229 and with well over 10,000 rounds through it I have never had a problem and it is far more accurate than I am.

The 229 comes in SA/DA, DAO and the new DAK trigger system. The SA/DA is nice, but alot of agencies require a double action only type trigger. If this is the case with your department I would highly suggest going with the DAK. The DAO is OK but the pull is close to 10 pounds (if not higher), where as the DAK is 6.5lbs and then if the trigger is not fully reset then it has a shorter 8.5lb trigger pull. Both are VERY smooth though.

It seems to be good enough for Dept. of Homeland Defense and the Coast Guard (as well as a few other govt. agencies).

My vote is for the Sig.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,756 Posts
Well................

If your Chief "hates" the S&W 9mm, I'm sure he's gonna decide what you carry anyway. If I was a chief (HA!) and wanted to give a choice it would be as follows:

Sig P220
Sig P229
S&W M686
S&W M357
H&K USP

Patrol rifle would be M-4 or M1A1 Scout. NO SHOTGUNS

Anybody wanna join my department?
:lol:

·
Subscribing Member
885 Posts
Well, I have a 229 .40, and the only bad think I'll say about it is that I can't afford to shoot it as much as I like!
Shooting 3x a week is already too expensive!

I have about 6000 rounds through it, and mostly it is WWB from walmart. I havn't had a SINGLE malfunction, even when I went about 1000 rnds between cleaning / lube as a test.

Takedown is easy, the trigger is smooth as butter, and it's built like a brick.
I also picked up a .357SIG barrel for it, and it's a fun round to shoot, but I'm sure "fun" isn't one of your criterium...

Although I shot a lot a bit before, the 229 is my first firearm. After 2000 rnds, I was shooting 293/300 at 75 feet. THAT says a lot about the gun...
Is your dept considering a DAK? I have a traditional Da/Sa, and tried a DAK,,, seems to me it'de be more of a Liability eleminator than a tool for better shooting, that LOOOONG pull messed me up big time..., and for that reason I cant stand the glock's trigger system....
And yes, MSP issues the 229 to some officers. Most get the 226, and some are issued 239 as well...

·
Registered
95 Posts
We carry the Sig P226 (.357). It's a nice gun but a little on the heavy side for off duty carry. I've had it for 4 years and have never had an issue. The P239 is the compact version.

Suggestion though, get a modle with frame rails for that can be used for lights.

·
Registered
59 Posts
i use the sig 229, great gun. I have the Double/single trigger and a friend who works for another agency has the DAK trigger. The DAK is a great trigger pull, i like it just as much or more than mine.

G

·
i work for the DNR and carry a glock 23 in .40 S&W and have no complaints. Its light accurate and dependable not mention theres alot more glocks out there than anything else as far as needing to barrow an extra mag from your partner! I will say that the sig is a great choice to but not as nice to carry off duty all day not to mention concealed. You really need to go and shoot each model and see for yourself what works best for you and take everyone elses opion with a grain of salt, just becuase one guy likes it dosent mean that you will!

·
Subscribing Member
2,280 Posts
If you work in a rural or low crime area with not much back up the Sig p220 for high stopping power. If you work in a city or high crime area Sig 229 where you may need the extra ammo is suggested. The Sig is my choice.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Irish Wampanoag";p="66183 said:
If you work in a rural or low crime with not much back up the Sig p220 for high stopping power. If you work in a city or high crime area Sig 229 where you may need the extra ammo is suggested. The Sig is my choice.
My ideal choice would be a .45, most likely a Para Ord 14-45LDA. Their 16-40LDA would also be a good choice. Springfield also has their hi-cap double stack model now, as well as Charles Daly coming to the market with a polymer frame hi-cap 1911 style pistol. The Charles Daly M5 will be available in 9mm, .40, and .45.

·
Subscribing Member
1,316 Posts
USMCMP5811";p="66000 said:
Personaly I like the Sig 229. I think the Glocks are JUNK. Then again I have big hands and every time I've fired a Glock, the slide bites the top of my hand. :evil: I also like the H&K USP's, Very nice weapon.
well u know what they say about men with big hands----- they wear big gloves. but i almost agree with you, i wouldn't go as far as to say glocks are junk but i like sigs and USP's

·
Registered
252 Posts
I like my Glock put 400 rounds through it without cleaning it, the firearm double fed twice, never miss fired while guys with smiths and sigs were having all kinds of problems miss fires, jams, double feeding etc. To say that Glocks are junk because they're "plastic" is foolish. Get with the times all of your newer guns HK, Sig PRO, SW99 they're all coming through with polymeir frames. I have an old SW4006, all steel you can hammer nails with it but today light and compact is the name of the game. Sigs, HK, SW are all good guns but if you want somthing cost effect and realiable go Glock.

Side not: I also have that Beretta 9000s what a waste of money holy shit that thing is garbage. My girlfriend's tiny hands can barely grab the slide. That gun is junk. I use mine to hold up my living room window. In other words don't waste your money like I did on the 9000S.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Our agency uses only Sigs and I'd say that I've been very happy with them. I currently carry the 229 and used to carry the 228. Sigs will function when they are dirty because they are made for combat. They also make a full range a sizes that accomodate different hand sizes and caliber preferences.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts