Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a Glock 27 for concealed carry. They are ridiculously expensive in MA and I was wondering what process or if its even legal to buy one from NH or VT and bring it back into MA?

·
Registered
39 Posts
For a handgun purchase out of state you would have to have it transferred thru a FFL in Mass. A long gun could be purchased from a bordering state without going thru an FFL.

·
Registered
114 Posts
You're entitled to a discount from a Glock Authorized dealer under the Law Enforcement purchase program. You shouldn't need to go out of state. I believe Interstate Arms is one such dealer. SOTII is a regular poster on this forum and is very knowlegeable about firearms & sales. I would bet he could provide a you with better info than I. Try to PM him.

·
Subscribing Member
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've spoke with SOTII before, but I am not a certified officer yet. I should be starting the academy in January for either Nashua, NH or Burlington, VT. Just was curious if i could buy out of state. I will just wait until i get on the job.

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
If you are not a police officer, you are not able to purchase a handgun out of state(BATFE RULES). If you are not a police officer but are a resident of MA you may not bring a MA noncompliant Glock back into the state. Technically for a glock to be MA compliant it must be pre 1998 (October), been sold in MA, or have been brought into MA by an individual that puchased it legally and now owns it legally in MA now.

The reson the glocks in MA are so expensive is the same reason transferable MG's are so expensive...there is a limited number of them that are "legal" ( in this case in MA for the Glocks).

You can put a want ad on the massguns forum (www.massguns.com) and see what comes up.

Glock costs, my cost for a Glock with LE mags is like $420 or so. LE Discount costs are at $439 and sometimes lower depending on the model. You would need an individual officer purchase letter and a FET form to get those prices. NIB with FET as an individual the price starts at $479 or so.

I've spoke with SOTII before, but I am not a certified officer yet. I should be starting the academy in January for either Nashua, NH or Burlington, VT. Just was curious if i could buy out of state. I will just wait until i get on the job.

·
Registered
51 Posts
What about if a citizen or an officer were to live in another state and purchase a handgun there. Then a year later they were to move to mass. Could they jsuts go to the local PD and register their gun, or would it be illegal to even bring the weapon to the state? Could the officer then use this gun as his off-duty gun?

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
If you live in another state and purchase a handgun legally in that state, then move to MA. So long as you obtain the appropriate permit to own the firearm in MA...you will have no problem.

Individuals may continue to own any handgun that they legally owned in another state so long as they can legally own it in MA.

Example:
You live in NH and buy a brand new Glock or whatever...you legally own it there...you then move to MA, you get your Class A here. You are good to go on the pistol.
A normal citizen will have a problem with NEW high capacity magazines and will have a problem with assault weapons...as they still may not be owned in MA. Only "preban" "assault weapons" and high capacity magazines can be owned.

For police this is generally not an issue.

You DO NOT have to register your firearms when moving into MA from out of state (except in Boston -and only in certain cases). You just move in, get your license and away you go.

The state does not allow for NEW high capacity magazines and "assault weapons"for civilians. So people that live in another state that have new ones of these, must get rid of them or store them out of state and never bring them into MA.

What about if a citizen or an officer were to live in another state and purchase a handgun there. Then a year later they were to move to mass. Could they jsuts go to the local PD and register their gun, or would it be illegal to even bring the weapon to the state? Could the officer then use this gun as his off-duty gun?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts