Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Photo by Patrick Whittemore
STICKING TO HIS GUNS: James L. Wallace, executive director of Gun Owners'Action League, shows his gun permit and pistol.

Gun ownership advocates are pushing for a return to lifetime firearm licenses, saying the state's 1998 get-tough gun control laws have created a bureaucratic nightmare that turns them into lawbreakers, while cash-strapped police departments say they are swamped.
"It's a license that's mandated by a state that cannot supply it," said James Wallace, president of the Gun Owners' Action League of Massachusetts, which is pushing a bill to speed up the process by eliminating renewals - and instead just yanking licenses from people when they violate the terms. "It's taking so long that people are technically illegal, and they're scared to complain, because they're illegal."
For gun owners in licensing limbo, hunting or transporting weapons is out of the question, and even keeping them locked up at home is illegal.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/re...ts_them_in_license_limbo/srvc=home&position=1

G

·
I don't know if I am a fan of lifetime, but I would definitly up it to 10 years or so.....
I am.

Lifetime, with the DMH and III checks automated just like the BOP is (for those that haven't seen them, BOP updates for LTC holders result in immediate notification to the licensing authority). We can cross-reference images with the RMV roadside, and your finger print will remain the same for evah! (I'm cheap and even the discounted $25/6 years is just too much in my mind lol).

·
Yeah, THAT GUY!
2,728 Posts
Oh-ho-ho-ho-ho. Didn't want to get going on this system but can't hold it any longer. The out of staters get fucked on this one. It's $100.00 every year in MA. So the same permit a resident gets for $100.00 costs a non-resident is $600.00. Not to mention that the FRB is ridiculous in how they carry this shit out. Have to go to Chelsea every year to be "interviewed." WTF?? My info never changes. Was told from now on, apply six months in advance. What's next? Nine months? Twelve months?

·
Super Moderator
7,171 Posts
Oh-ho-ho-ho-ho. Didn't want to get going on this system but can't hold it any longer. The out of staters get fucked on this one. It's $100.00 every year in MA. So the same permit a resident gets for $100.00 costs a non-resident is $600.00. Not to mention that the FRB is ridiculous in how they carry this shit out. Have to go to Chelsea every year to be "interviewed." WTF?? My info never changes. Was told from now on, apply six months in advance. What's next? Nine months? Twelve months?
That is exactly why I didn't maintain my LTC once I moved out of MA. I had a guy on my department live in RI and the FRB STILL made him jump through hoops even when he had a letter on letterhead from a Captain at the PD saying it was needed.

NH, CT, FL and a few other states have no issues doing non-resident permits...hell, Massachusetts can't even do RESIDENT permits right, and they FUBAR the non-resident ones.

·
Teufelhunden
848 Posts
I renewed my LTC this year, and it was a quick, painless (and free) process.

I can only imagine the conspiracy theories being hatched over at NES.
Well since there are law abiding taxpayers waiting 10+ MONTHS for renewals, I can't say I blame them.

The CLEOs want to play god.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I have to agree with GOAL on this one. Massachusetts has f&@&ed up the system in a bad way. Besides....why pay to renew a constitutional right?

·
Teufelhunden
848 Posts
That is the question I would love to hear in front of the USSC, along with why a permit at all.
+1

You are either a prohibited person or you're not. The MA licensing system with "restrictions" is all about control and nothing more.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,774 Posts
I renewed my LTC this year, and it was a quick, painless (and free) process.

I can only imagine the conspiracy theories being hatched over at NES.
Ya! you lucky bastard! many of the rest of us LEO's are still paying a $25.00 "Admin fee" when it was supposed to be free....WTH?

Reactions: Harley387

·
Teufelhunden
848 Posts
Sometimes you have to grease the skids... :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts