·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Police ask for public's help
Gun, ammo and more stolen from Little Compton officer's truck
Off-duty policeman's vehicle was in his Portsmouth driveway
By Bruce Burdett

PORTSMOUTH - A police pistol, uniforms and more were stolen Tuesday from an off-duty Little Compton police officer's truck while it was parked in his Portsmouth driveway.
The owner (whose name was not immediately available) called Portsmouth Police and reported the following missing from his truck:
• A loaded 40 caliber Sig Sauer semi-automatic handgun
• A police duty belt containing a baton, handcuffs, OC canister spray, two additional magazines containing 12 rounds each

• Two Little Compton Police uniforms
• One Little Compton badge
• A First Choice ballistic armor vest.
Asked if the truck was locked, Portsmouth Detective Lt. John E. Ventura said that that is among the issues to be cleared up by the ongoing investigation.
Anyone with information about the stolen items is asked to call the Portsmouth Police Department at 683-0300.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Awesome, now I supposed the surrounding cities can anticipate another murder...

I assume the proper procedures will be taken as to why he was dumb enough to leave his loaded firearm unattended in a presumably unlocked truck (since they wouldn't confirm) and the rest of his duty belt...

·
Subscribing Member
7,237 Posts
Youths Charged In Theft of Gun, Other Police Gear

PORTSMOUTH, RI-- An 18-year-old Portsmouth man was expected to be arraigned this morning in District Court, Newport, on charges of stealing a loaded semiautomatic handgun and police equipment from the pickup truck of an off-duty Little Compton police officer last week.
The gun and the other items have been recovered, the police said. No details were given on how or where they were found.
The Portsmouth police announced Saturday that they had charged Kyle Atkinson, 18, with receiving stolen goods (the gun), conspiracy to commit larceny of a firearm, and receiving stolen goods over $500.
Also charged was Kristen Shaw, 18, also of Portsmouth.
Shaw was charged with obstruction of a police officer in the execution of duty, and conspiracy to commit larceny under $500, both misdemeanors. She was released and will appear in court at a later date.
Two Portsmouth boys also were arrested in the theft. A 17-year-old was charged with conspiracy to commit larceny (felony), and conspiracy to commit larceny (misdemeanor). The other boy, 15 years old, was charged with larceny of a firearm, conspiracy to commit larceny of a firearm, larceny over $500, and receiving stolen goods under $500.
Last week, the Portsmouth police reported that the gun, as well as several other items, including a police baton, handcuffs, ammunition, a badge, two uniforms and a bulletproof vest were stolen from the officer's truck.
The police said the theft occurred on Tuesday at about 5 p.m. The unlocked truck was parked on the officer's driveway. The police have not identified the officer.
The officer was placed on administrative duty following the incident, standard procedure under department rules. The police referred a call this morning on the officer's status to Chief Sidney Wordell, who was not available for comment.
PROVIDENCE JOURNAL

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
The unlocked truck was parked on the officer's driveway.
What a buffoon! I take my patrol rifle in and out of my cruiser every day despite the fact I have a lockable mount!

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Little Compton police officer suspended

By Staff reports
GateHouse News Service
Posted Oct 29, 2008 @ 02:04 PM

Little Compton, R.I. -
A patrolman has been suspended for six work days and placed on probation for six months after his gun and other equipment were stolen from his personal vehicle.
Police said an internal investigation conducted by Lt. Antone Marion III determined that Patrolman Costantino Natale had inadvertently forgotten his equipment in his car while he was preparing for a last-minute overtime shift that was subsequently canceled and that equipment, left in his vehicle, was later stolen from his car parked at his home in Portsmouth.
Failing to secure a firearm is against department policy, and the thieves not only made off with Natale's .40 caliber handgun, they also took his vest, uniform, badge, duty belt and handcuffs out of his car.
Natale was placed on administrative duties pending the conclusion of the internal investigation. The suspension and probation are effective Oct. 28.

http://www.heraldnews.com/news/x1157502409/Little-Compton-police-officer-suspended

1 - 8 of 8 Posts