Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On September 21, 2005, Lieutenant Governor Kerry Healey joined
Colonel Thomas G. Robbins, Superintendent of the Massachusetts State Police, in breaking ground on a new State Police barracks currently under construction in Millbury. David B. Perini, Commissioner, Division of Capital Asset Management, and State Senator Edward M. Augustus, Jr. of Worcester, Senator Stephen M. Brewer, Representative Paul Frost, Representative John P. Fresolo, and Representative George N. Peterson, Jr. also participated in the ceremony.

Lt. Governor Healey assisted in breaking ground on this new 18,000 square feet, state-of-the-art facility. The new barracks will be located on Route 20 in Millbury and will replace the current barracks situated on Route 140 in Grafton. The new barracks will provide quite a contrast to the current Grafton barracks which was built in 1931. The new facility will contain a modern cell block area, fitness area, high-tech communications center, conference rooms and a prisoner sally port.

"The completion of this new barracks will help the State Police
employ the most efficient use of our resources and will enhance our effectiveness in responding to the needs of the citizens in the Millbury Barracks patrol area," stated Colonel Robbins.

With the increase in population and growth in the Blackstone Valley, the officers assigned to the current Grafton Barracks have had to respond to an increasing number of calls for service. As well as experiencing a growth in population, the current Grafton Barracks, which was built prior to the construction of such major roadways as Route 495 and the Massachusetts Turnpike, has seen an increase in traffic related incidents. The new Millbury facility will allow for the most efficient use of State Police resources in service to the citizens of the Commonwealth.

The extensive patrol area for the current and future barracks is
comprised of: Route 495 from Route 20 in Marlboro to the
Bellingham/Franklin line; the entire length of Route 146 from
Worcester to Rhode Island line; and Routes 9 and 20 from Worcester to the Framingham line. The coverage area for the barracks also includes 19 cities in towns in south central Massachusetts.

Scheduled for completion in the late summer of 2006, the Millbury facility will be one of two brand new modern barracks to be completed under the stewardship of Governor Mitt Romney and his
administration. Last month, Governor Romney hosted the ground
breaking ceremony for the site of the new Dartmouth Barracks.
During this event Governor Romney took the opportunity to announce that the Fiscal Year 2006 budget would include funding for a new State Police recruit training class. These three recruit classes, funded during the Romney administration, will add approximately another 400 new troopers to the State Police.

The completion of these two new barracks and the graduation of three recruit classes will position the State Police to tackle head-on the law enforcement and public safety challenges of the 21st century.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Believe it or not its actually being built.
Hint - When a politician shows up they will put something there so they can get their name on the plaque!

MSP75 said:
I'll believe it when I see it. This isn't the first time a "new" barracks was supposed to be built.

·
1,334 Posts
MSP75 said:
I'll believe it when I see it. This isn't the first time a "new" barracks was supposed to be built.
It is a done deal, the building is going up. Good location too for C-Troop to access just about everywhere in central mass via highway. Welcome to Millbury :jump:

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Lt. Governor Healey assisted in breaking ground on this new 18,000 square feet, state-of-the-art facility. The new barracks will be located on Route 20 in Millbury and will replace the current barracks situated on Route 140 in Grafton. The new barracks will provide quite a contrast to the current Grafton barracks which was built in 1931. The new facility will contain a modern cell block area, fitness area, high-tech communications center, conference rooms and a prisoner sally port.

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
The grafton barracks will become the MSP museum.

·
Subscribing Member
431 Posts
G

·
Wow!!! What is going on. The Lt Gov must be looking for SPAM's backing for her governor run just like her anti-MSP boss did.

·
Subscribing Member
451 Posts
I was fortunate enough to be stationed at Troop D- Royalton with VSP right out of the academy.. brand new barracks as of early fall of this year. I hear its one of the nicest state police barracks in New England.. 2.3 million was the cost I believe.

·
Registered
83 Posts
As mentioned before, the old Grafton Barracks will become the site of the Massachusetts State Police Museum and Learning Center. It is being developed totally with private funds (tax deductable I might add). It will be a first class facility when it is done. Go to www.masstroopers.org and click on the link for the museum. rhl

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
The last barracks they were supposed to build was at the 128/Rt3 split at the site of the old Howard Johnson's...that was a done deal, too...at least they are actually building Millbury and Dartmouth. Maybe next time they can replace the wicked out-dated Springfield Barracks...

·
Needs more complaints
4,309 Posts
frapmpd24 said:
It is a done deal, the building is going up. Good location too for C-Troop to access just about everywhere in central mass via highway. Welcome to Millbury :jump:
Except for their major patrol area, 495.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Maybe now they can patrol 395 and let Sturbridge concentrate on stuff closer to their barracks. I reckon the Millbury barracks will not be much farther from Route 495 than Shelburne is from Route 91. Those guys can do the same thing the Shelburne guys do...stay on the highway until you have to go back to the barracks...like, for an arrest or something! I think 395 might be a pretty happy hunting ground once there is a barracks close enough to make it worthwhile!

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
C-5 does have the west patrol, which covers some towns that do not have 24 hour Police coverage. One night on the scanner a Trooper needed back-up in I don't remember but it was in Wales or one of those towns with out the 24 hour PD. The nearest MSP C-5 Cruiser was 395 in Auburn and it was during a snow storm.

Anyhow they called Sturbridge and Palmer PD. Be thankful this isn't Oregon. Some barracks that had 5 or 6 Troopers now have 1 (1 assigned to the Barracks not one per shift)](*,).

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Apparently there is a "Troop realignment plan" to comply with homeland security protocols: essentially, the troops would be aligned by county borders (as was mostly the case prior to the ill-conceived consolidation). Springfield would pick up Monson, Palmer, Brimfield and others...C7 would return to Troop B. In any event, the Sturbridge west patrol/Springfield east patrol would suffer from the same problems: too far away from any barracks/back-up.

But, who knows? Hopefully I'll have enough time to retire before "they" really wreck this job!:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.