Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
screw you...
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably a dumb question but you know the saying "the only dumb question...."
We finally have leadership that isn't afraid to use the SWAT team. We have seen our use increase dramatically in the last year. That being said, getting called out and responding from home, in our POV's is getting kinda frustrating. There's alot more traffic in Worcester nowadays and it's a real bitch trying to get to the station ASAP but in the safest way. Our LT says no to blue lights in our POVs (totally understandable, wouldn't want one anyway). I'm not too keen on advertising I'm a cop to everyone, but a takehome cruiser makes sense.

My question (finally) is, are there grants available for takehome cruisers for emergency response teams (SWAT)?

We have a good Capt. and he's getting grants for all kinds of other equipment. But transportation is always an issue with us. Plus this issue of mutual aid with surrounding towns. Takehomes with our gear secured in them (on and off duty) makes for a rapid response in time critical incidents....

Any help, thoughts, experience, policies, knowledge, etc. would be appreciated.

·
screw you...
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damn maybe I didn't.. I think.. NO I DID.. No wait.. Ah hell now I'm all confused... Did I??

·
Registered
189 Posts
Deuce, I don't know if this helps or applies towards cruisers for Swat teams, but it is worth looking into.Some of the Police Agencies on the North Shore that have started up recent k-9 units(Peabody,Saugus) have done so with Grant money which I believe also includes money for cruisers.Danvers is starting up a k-9 unit through the use of Grant money.It might be worth getting in touch with them to see where their grant writer is looking.

·
Subscribing Member
4,316 Posts
I used to research into grants and I was told there are no grants to buy cruisers. The only grant I am aware of that got cruisers, was a grant that Brockton PD got for their traffic unit. I believe they got two new cruisers and a couple of Harleys.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I'm not positive on this one, but I "think" that a westerm mass chief used money from a saturn grant to buy cruisers.

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
Look nto BURN grants, Community Policing grand and Saturn Grants. We use CP grant to buy our last 3 cars and they are take home. You can get these CP grants and use em for whatever you want.

·
screw you...
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the leads. Unfortunately my forehead to keyboard method isn't working too well and I'm not going to pretend to be smart enough to know... Where are the CP grants out of? Is it state or Fed (Dept of Homeland Sec.)???

·
Registered
66 Posts
Try the Ma Executive Office of Public Safety,

http://www.state.ma.us/eops/

Check under initiatives for the Community Policing and Saturn Grants. Find out who in your Dept. writes the Grants and where the money presently goes. You may find yourself in a battle with anyone who has a pet project. Slim budgets create friction. There is no magic in writting Grants. Ask for a copy, they are Public Record as well as how the $ is spent. Don't reinvent the wheel, build your case on previous projects (i.e. cut and paste)

Federal Grants operate in generally the same manner with greater competition. A GOOGLE search may aid you. some areas to check would be Homeland Defense and the Department of Justice.

We presently use CP money for Motor units, I don't see why you can't supplant cruisers for bikes. I would try to stress the community preparedness angle.

Speak with your community's disaster preparedness director. They should have (or is still developing) a report created for the State on the assets available in Town should a major event occur. This person may be able to point out shortfalls and provide leverage for the program you hope to start.

Good luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts