Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just looking for some opinions of what we can do as a Union. My department just installed GPS/AVL units in all of our marked cars and one detective unit, but not the Chiefs car of course. The Chief said that he wanted these for "officer safety", which is bs. Our comunity is 11,000 residents and app. 5.5 square miles. Our union tried everything possible, but was told that there is nothing we can do. Does anyone have any ideas of how this could be faught?

·
Registered
968 Posts
No it can't be fought! You are employed by the department which is part of the town which owns the vehicles you are in.....they can do pretty much anything they want when it comes to that.....why let it bother you....at least you have the job.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have been told that there is little the Union can do to stop this type of invasive oversight. Interesting that the Chief's vehicle doesn't have it installed, apparently he is never in any danger.

I have written before that when the managers of the agency I work for spoke on this, they felt everyone but they should have it in their cars. Their enthusiasm for the system seemed to be almost voyeuristic. It appeared that they felt the lower echelon bears watching because they are forever doing something wrong. Publicly they promote officer safety and when behind closed doors they snicker about how they can scrutinize every move.

If your department is like many that I am aware of then the administration of the new policy will suffer difficulties. The newness wears off and attention to detail wanes. Your best bet may just to be as careful as possible and conduct yourself professionally. As time passes, instances in violation of the policy will be missed due to inattention. Keep an accounting of these instances to show disparate treatment if a problem arises for a member.

We all try to comport ourselves to the established standards but our job often entails unforseen elements. Some things we cannot control. Try to appreciate the benefits of the system, don't overreact, and bide your time. Nothing is sweeter than killing them with their own sword.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I would welome the GPS to my cruiser...and the video, too...if the coward chief had the same in his. :roll:

I guess we don't need to know about the times the chief took his unmarked out-of-state, on vacation, etc.
:x

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.