1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Grim reaper
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gov spanks Middlesex sheriff for snub :spank:
By Ann E. Donlan and Kimberly Atkins
Thursday, January 27, 2005

Dirty jails and phone calls from the governor that went unanswered added up to zero extra cash for Middlesex Sheriff James V. DiPaola in Gov. Mitt Romney's budget.

DiPaola, a former Democratic state representative, was the only sheriff to have his $49.54 million budget level-funded by Romney.

That means he will get the same amount and not a nickel more next year unless lawmakers bail him out. Other sheriffs got the governor's approval for a 2.1 percent budget hike.

Lt. Gov. Kerry Healey said she toured the Middlesex House of Correction and had ``some concerns about hygiene and safety for the prisoners,'' but DiPaola showed an ``unwillingness'' to discuss the issue.

Romney said, ``I have found the sheriff's office there to be unresponsive, and therefore we have not given them the same increase that we have given the other sheriffs.''

DiPaola did not return a call for comment.

:cry: BUT NOW I CANT BUY A BRANDY NEW BRADLEY FIGHTING VEHICLE WITH OPTIONAL HELLFIRE MISSLES TO DRIVE ON PATROL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Well I guess I will have to eat my words from my other posts about him not being an idiot.But there are some good officers from that department I know. :oops:

·
Grim reaper
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hummer's illegal blue lights may dog 'deputy'
By Ann E. Donlan

It's quite a sight on the road - a black Hummer roaring along with flashing blue lights.

But the vehicle tagged with a Middlesex Sheriff insignia does not have the required state permit to display emergency lights, according to the Registry of Motor Vehicles.

The privately owned vehicle, with the vanity plate ``DSHERFF,'' is proudly displayed on the Web site of the Middlesex Deputy Sheriffs' Association. :shock:

The private, nonprofit group does community service with a pool of 900 members.

Its members are either reserve or sworn civilian deputy sheriffs, and work closely with Middlesex Sheriff James V. DiPaola.

Not only does the car's driver not have a permit for lights, but he applied for one this past summer, and was denied the permit, according to an RMV spokeswoman.

``We didn't see that there was any evidence that he needed it for official purposes,'' said RMV spokeswoman Amy O'Hearn. ``We are pretty choosy.''

The vehicle is registered to Dominic Zaia of Sudbury, an association member. Zaia also is a DiPaola campaign contributor who lists his occupation as a ``V.P./Arc. Welding Co.''

Zaia could not be reached for comment. DiPaola's spokesman, Mark Lawhorne, did not return calls from the Herald yesterday, but last week he said the vehicle uses the lights only for parades.

Michael M. Giacoppo, executive director of the association, also did not return a phone call.

The Herald has reported that the Middlesex group receives special badges that have been largely banned in other counties and carry absolutely no law enforcement powers.

Under state law, the head of the agency must sign the blue light permit application to state that the person is qualified and needs a permit for official duties. Violations of the 1949 statute range from $100 to $300.

This "agency" sounds completely out of whack. For the sake of decent hard working corrections officers employed I hope DiPaola pays attention to the jail and its people or leaves Massachusetts. [-X :wm:

·
Registered
72 Posts
perfect example of why the real police do not take sheriff departments seriously - politically connected through relation or donation wannabes who couldn't make it as police. the MPA should lobby both the State and Federal governments to stop giving sheriff departments $$$$ for vehicles, etc that should be going to 9-1-1 responding agencies. Every inch of Massachusetts is incorporated as a city or town - sheriff departments in this state should be ashamed at misrepresenting themselves in their blatant attempts to get federal $ for things like "community policing" and emergency vehicles.... WHERE is the MPA !!!???

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,693 Posts
Oh BOY!!!!!!!!!

Lets see jo and otto justify this GARBAGE!!!!!!!!!!!
:shock:

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,693 Posts
oh and in the spirit of the thread heading...........................
:lol:

·
2,297 Posts
Jasper";p="54767 said:
perfect example of why the real police do not take sheriff departments seriously - politically connected through relation or donation wannabes who couldn't make it as police. the MPA should lobby both the State and Federal governments to stop giving sheriff departments $$$$ for vehicles, etc that should be going to 9-1-1 responding agencies. Every inch of Massachusetts is incorporated as a city or town - sheriff departments in this state should be ashamed at misrepresenting themselves in their blatant attempts to get federal $ for things like "community policing" and emergency vehicles.... WHERE is the MPA !!!???
Jasper,

Call your State Senator and State Rep. There is a bill pending in the Legislature to restrict SHeriff's Police powers to county property only.

That way the Sheriffs will have to stop wasting their money and the feds money on police related stuff and he can spend it on the Jail.

·
Registered
61 Posts
jasper,

I find it appalling that you would say something like "that is why REAL police departments dont take sheriffs departments seriously." You see I work for a REAL department and i extend every courtesy towards these hard working individuals. Unlike you, myself and other LE officers included are not stuck in this macho bravado bullshit. Do your job professionally and represent your department. Do you actually sit in the cruiser running owner operator through the system drooling becuase he works at the sheriffs department? What a hero you are. I'm going to cite him because he is a political hack look at me. Step of the mound of self riteousness. It is policemen like you that give others a bad name. Bbelichick and vor at least take the right approach at informing others what they can do to better the circumstances. You know why? Because they are professional. Do us a favor think before you speak.

·
Registered
72 Posts
'betold, stop fabricating things. where did i say i run deputies through the system and seek to cite them ? if a political hack flashes a badge he gets treated like anyother citizen - no better. i give c.o's and full time deputies respect and courtesy - it's the hacks that this thread is about that i think are a joke. there is no need for the charade they pull. i equate the typical "pay or hold a sign to be appointed as a deputy" with sparkies.
If the sheriff departments acted like the DOC and simply concerned themselves with doing their own job they would be taken seriously. there is no justification for them having motorcycles, swat mobiles and other things that they purchase with our tax dollars.

·
Registered
61 Posts
perfect example of why the real police do not take sheriff departments seriously

I believe that is what you said in your comment. If you meant something else than write something else. I just find it amazing that you would say that. It is unprofessional. As for the fact of funding . That is another issue. I am sick of the bashing that is all. Who cares what THEY do. I focus on what WE do. WE have our job and THEY have theirs. Leave it alone it is a dead issue that will never change.

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
Wait a second, this is the same group that was selling those badges for campaign contributions right? and they have these "pseudo" offical business vehicles running around? WTF?
I wonder how many of those "professionals" in the picture actually work for the DOC.

USMCTrooper";p="54518 said:
Gov spanks Middlesex sheriff for snub :spank:
By Ann E. Donlan and Kimberly Atkins
Thursday, January 27, 2005

Dirty jails and phone calls from the governor that went unanswered added up to zero extra cash for Middlesex Sheriff James V. DiPaola in Gov. Mitt Romney's budget.

DiPaola, a former Democratic state representative, was the only sheriff to have his $49.54 million budget level-funded by Romney.

That means he will get the same amount and not a nickel more next year unless lawmakers bail him out. Other sheriffs got the governor's approval for a 2.1 percent budget hike.

Lt. Gov. Kerry Healey said she toured the Middlesex House of Correction and had ``some concerns about hygiene and safety for the prisoners,'' but DiPaola showed an ``unwillingness'' to discuss the issue.

Romney said, ``I have found the sheriff's office there to be unresponsive, and therefore we have not given them the same increase that we have given the other sheriffs.''

DiPaola did not return a call for comment.

:cry: BUT NOW I CANT BUY A BRANDY NEW BRADLEY FIGHTING VEHICLE WITH OPTIONAL HELLFIRE MISSLES TO DRIVE ON PATROL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
'betold, like YOU said "we have our job, they have their job." my point exactly. just do your own job and there are no problems. No deputy is hired to respond to 9-1-1 calls or do traffic enforcement - period. They also should not be sucking up scarce resources meant for police to purchase equipment. This is not california or florida - sheriffs are not police here and they are not expected or paid to masquerade as if they are.

·
Registered
61 Posts
VOR

I can understand your thoughts. But why are We discriminating against these deputies? They are not the ones that instill this power in them. the SHERIFF himself is the sole one responsible. The governor of the state is also to blame for this. He is the one allocating the funds to the sheriffs department. The federal government also is granting the resources and funds to them. I don't see any justification in directing the anger towards someone who is doing their job as they are ordered.

You are right they are not responding to 911 calls. They have backed me up when they were nearby and heard the call. I was grateful. Do I think they will be patrolling the streets I do. NO. Do they patrol anywhere in this state as directed? I beleive NO. As far as details go the surrounding smaller departments contract them for deatails because they can't fill them. They don't take someones job there either.

Sheriff's deaprtments dont have a 911 service. Therefore they don't provide one. I am not going to say limit all their powers because we feel we are better. Until they actually take someones job in the form of patrolling then i will speak out against this in the only form known to do it. The state government.

As far as the grant money goes yes they are using up a great surplus. LEt me ask this though: If Middlesex county bought that mobile unit and offered it to anyone who needs it, what is the big deal. They are not saying this is mine get your own. They are providing a service. They let you run the show just you use their equiptment. My county sheriffs department is professional and they dont masquerade around like heros. They are all good officers. I have had inservice with them and they know their job.

In closing I will say thiss: I wish my department had more funding. But I will not degrade someone for fullfilling their job. Blame the Sheriff, politicians, and local government. The little people are trying to feed their families too.

·
Registered
370 Posts
One day I observed a couple of these Sheriff's motorcycles coming down Rt. 93. They were both in the fast lane talking to each other like Ponch and John.

I inquired and found out that the sheriff didn't have motorcycles. I was told that these guys aren't real deputies, but the guys that go to the bi-annual fund raiser and get gold stars issued to them. This gives them the right to have the sheriff insignia and blue lights on their personal bikes? This really does give the guys walking the tier a bad name.
I picture my self going out and buying a new Harley police special and putting blue lights and my dept's insignia on it. Ya right!

One day someone will be involved in an accident with one of these phony sheriff vehicles. {Hummer/motorcycle}. When the sheriff/county is named in the suit, it will be over.

I was in a function hall in Malden last year. One of these phonies in front of me pulled out his gold star and asked the hall manager if he could get the law enforcement discount if he rented the place. They gave it to him.

If anyone is looking for a new gold star, let me know...I have quite a collection.

·
Grim reaper
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Clouseau";p="54854 said:
One day I observed a couple of these Sheriff's motorcycles coming down Rt. 93. They were both in the fast lane talking to each other like Ponch and John.

I inquired and found out that the sheriff didn't have motorcycles. I was told that these guys aren't real deputies, but the guys that go to the bi-annual fund raiser and get gold stars issued to them. This gives them the right to have the sheriff insignia and blue lights on their personal bikes? This really does give the guys walking the tier a bad name.
I picture my self going out and buying a new Harley police special and putting blue lights and my dept's insignia on it. Ya right!
:eek:ha: WAIT A MINUTE!!!!! :idea:

Personal bikes with blue lights?? Didn't the RMV deny a blue light permit for the owner of the Hummer?? Thats a personal vehicle also. What's the difference!? Write down the plate, run the listing and forward it to the RMV. If they can't have it then they can't have it. WTF? Just do what someone else already figured out-turn them in. That is being diplomatic-if you want too be fair, cite them. Any other citizen would be treated the same way.

·
Registered
370 Posts
[quote="USMCTrooper";
WAIT A MINUTE!!!!! :
Personal bikes with blue lights?? Didn't the RMV deny a blue light permit for the owner of the Hummer?? Thats a personal vehicle also. What's the difference!? WTF? , cite them. Any other citizen would be treated the same way.[/quote]

I don't know if the Hummer was denied. I do know if you scroll up to the top and look at the picture of it....It's blue!

The problem is most cops don't know they're not official bikes. I didn't until I inquired. The cops I talked to had no idea.
Not only are they not official bikes, their not real deputies!

The sheriff doesn't mind because it looks like he has more equipment and it adds to his image. The guys riding these bikes, well...they used to ride the short bus!

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.