Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
2081 - 2100 of 2103 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
3,484 Posts
Job finally switched over to a 4&2 schedule. "Temporary pilot" for right now but I'm optimistic we will keep it. Hello occasional weekends off!
What did you have before this? With my department we get to pick our days off every month so effectively, we get what we want rather than being told when we're gonna be off. We like that very much.

·
Registered
346 Posts
What did you have before this? With my department we get to pick our days off every month so effectively, we get what we want rather than being told when we're gonna be off. We like that very much.
That's a great schedule! We were on a 5/2 fixed, with 8 hour shifts. So you could get stuck with two weekdays off, and need to use a vacation day to ever get a weekend day off.
Around here, pretty much every city and town is 4/2, and campuses are mostly split between 4/2 and 5/2. There's a few alternative schedules, but not many.
I don't know of any PDs around here that do a 3/12 schedule like LAPD does, but I have a lot of friends who are nurses who work the same type of schedule that LAPD does, it just hasn't caught on in LE around here.

·
Subscribing Member
3,484 Posts
I'm pretty familiar with the 4/2 you guys have back there. We do a 3/12 and a 4/10. All of patrol does both. Divisional detectives and specialized units generally work a 4/10. Detectives usually work either Monday - Thursday or Tuesday - Friday. Specialized units fluctuate, depending on the mission.

Patrol is a different story. Patrol is not on a platoon system so every month, officers get to pick their preferred days off. The schedule equates to the same amount of days off per month as if they were working a 3/12 or 4/10 only it's better. Officers with one year on the job or 30 years on the job can still get some weekends off so it generally works out for everyone.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I'm pretty familiar with the 4/2 you guys have back there. We do a 3/12 and a 4/10. All of patrol does both. Divisional detectives and specialized units generally work a 4/10. Detectives usually work either Monday - Thursday or Tuesday - Friday. Specialized units fluctuate, depending on the mission.

Patrol is a different story. Patrol is not on a platoon system so every month, officers get to pick their preferred days off. The schedule equates to the same amount of days off per month as if they were working a 3/12 or 4/10 only it's better. Officers with one year on the job or 30 years on the job can still get some weekends off so it generally works out for everyone.
Do you guys have a certain number of weekend shifts that you have to pick up every month? Otherwise you could end up with some people only signing up to work weekdays. I honestly don't mind working weekends, I like the different types of calls (obviously on a campus we don't see anything like what you get in LAPD, but we get some action on the weekends), but it's nice to get some weekends off.
Likewise for holidays, is there a rotating system so people pick up their share of holiday shifts? It sounds like a great system, but like I said it just hasn't really caught on back here.

·
Subscribing Member
3,484 Posts
It's kind of hard to explain here but..

We use Deployment Periods (DPs) instead of months. A DP is 28 days long. On a 3/12 schedule we get 15 days off and work 13. On a 4/10 schedule, we get 13 days off and work 15.

Officers pick their days off two weeks ahead of the beginning of the following DP. A supervisor then arranges them in the deployment system to ensure that minimum staffing is met on any particular day, for every watch (shift). When too many officers ask for the same day off, it goes by seniority as to who gets it.

We do have some people who want to be the "weekday police." They're usually the "millennial" crowd who forget that we work weekends also. Supervisors will remind them that's not how it works. If need be, some of their requested days off will be moved in order to be fair to everyone. Everyone will always get at least one full weekend off per DP if they want it. Some people like us like to work weekends, which helps out the guys who don't.

I agree, working weekends is more interesting. Gang activity is much more prevalent on weekends so shootings and violence are higher, as are robberies, and other violent crimes.

For real holidays such as Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year's Eve, New Year's Day, and Thanksgiving, we use a wish list. Unless they want to work the holidays, everyone puts in a request as to which holidays they want off. The supervisors then try to make it fair for everyone. Everyone is going to have to work some holidays while everyone is going to be off on some holidays. It's been this way since before I came on and it seems to work pretty well. It's about as fair as it can be. Regardless if you have one year or 30 years on the job, everyone will get some holidays and some weekends off.

·
Registered
346 Posts
It's kind of hard to explain here but..

We use Deployment Periods (DPs) instead of months. A DP is 28 days long. On a 3/12 schedule we get 15 days off and work 13. On a 4/10 schedule, we get 13 days off and work 15.

Officers pick their days off two weeks ahead of the beginning of the following DP. A supervisor then arranges them in the deployment system to ensure that minimum staffing is met on any particular day, for every watch (shift). When too many officers ask for the same day off, it goes by seniority as to who gets it.

We do have some people who want to be the "weekday police." They're usually the "millennial" crowd who forget that we work weekends also. Supervisors will remind them that's not how it works. If need be, some of their requested days off will be moved in order to be fair to everyone. Everyone will always get at least one full weekend off per DP if they want it. Some people like us like to work weekends, which helps out the guys who don't.

I agree, working weekends is more interesting. Gang activity is much more prevalent on weekends so shootings and violence are higher, as are robberies, and other violent crimes.

For real holidays such as Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year's Eve, New Year's Day, and Thanksgiving, we use a wish list. Unless they want to work the holidays, everyone puts in a request as to which holidays they want off. The supervisors then try to make it fair for everyone. Everyone is going to have to work some holidays while everyone is going to be off on some holidays. It's been this way since before I came on and it seems to work pretty well. It's about as fair as it can be. Regardless if you have one year or 30 years on the job, everyone will get some holidays and some weekends off.
Very interesting, thanks for the info. Too bad nothing like that exists around here, it must be nice to have the ability to have some flexibility like that.
Only issue that I could see with 12s is filling overtime that no one volunteers for. With 8s you can mandate someone to stay over, can't really do that with 12s bc it would be a 24 hour shift. But with 4 days off a week, I'm sure people are much more willing to pick up overtime.

·
Subscribing Member
3,484 Posts
True, we have never mandated people to work "doubles" like you guys do, even when we were on 8 hour shifts. In fact, working a "double" has always been against policy.

If we need to fill a patrol spot, we either ask someone to stay over a few hours, task someone who doesn't work patrol to do it, or make calls to off-duty folks to see if they want to come in on their day off. Unfortunately our folks aren't like your folks back there, we don't always have people jumping at the chance to come in for a 10 or 12 hour day. It tends to get pretty busy out here and most guys want to enjoy their day off when they can to "decompress."

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,768 Posts
My wife agreed to NOT put on anything like CNN, MSNBC all day.....................

Reactions: EUPD377

·
Southern Campus Cop
155 Posts
The first agency I worked for worked six days on, two days off. Once every month and a half we got a four day weekend, which supposedly made up for the other weeks when you worked six days straight with a two day weekend. Just about anything is better than that.

We work 12’s where I’m at now and I love it. Shifts are kind of long, but every other weekend being a three day weekend is fantastic.

·
Subscribing Member
3,484 Posts
The first agency I worked for worked six days on, two days off. Once every month and a half we got a four day weekend, which supposedly made up for the other weeks when you worked six days straight with a two day weekend. Just about anything is better than that.
That sounds like a terrible schedule. How did the union agree with that?

·
Southern Campus Cop
155 Posts
That sounds like a terrible schedule. How did the union agree with that?
I'm lucky enough to work in the south, where law enforcement unions aren't really a thing. The most we have is PBA, which is pretty much legal insurance for police officers, so you have a lawyer paid for if you're involved in a shooting or something similar. The schedule was a big reason I left and went to my current job.

·
Subscribing Member
3,484 Posts
I don't blame you for leaving that schedule. It sounds very demanding and after doing it for a number of years, could be depressing. I love the job but still need time off to recharge and get through some of the stuff we experience in this profession.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Eh its not gonna affect me. Being called an Uncle Tom didn’t either. Plus I motivated myself to get into shape for the Coopers test and I worked my ass off to get to the 30th percentile in everything (I KNOW that isn’t anything to write home about though). But bill 5218 is slightly concerning

·
Premium Member
6,206 Posts
With all the aggravation and bullshit we've all been dealing with over the last year and a half I think it would be nice to share some good news. Not quite good things that happened today, but over the last few weeks. Despite Covid we had a beautiful wedding for my youngest and her new husband and my oldest just told us that we're going to be grandparents.

2081 - 2100 of 2103 Posts