Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: Any dispatchers here?

Anybody know what are some of the better departments to dispatch for?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Good question RPD, worthy of it's own topic.

I am going to jump right in and say Bedford PD is pretty good. I don't work there, but have gotten a little peak inside, plus have heard some stories. Sounds like a good place to be involved!

-Eric

·
Registered
561 Posts
Hey Eric, I have heard the same. Most of the officers over there have a very good working relationship with the guys and gals on the desk. The pay is not bad, and they handle both police and fire. As you said, they are pretty good with opening up other opportunities, many dispatchers have been sent to the R/I academy and now work details.

I know someone over there, PM me if anyone has questions, but I do not think they are hiring right now. :D

-Mike

·
Registered
393 Posts
I would say the best town to work for is the one you work for as long as you like it and the pay and bennies are good. I love riding the pine for my town. Sometimes it's like a vacation from my other job.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The State Police is not bad, the pay make it even better. I been around to several centers and the set ups are all a little different, Barnstable County Sherriffs seems to be a nice place. :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've worked for Newton for almost two years and I love my job. The pay and benefits are great. Also the other people on my shift are alot of fun to work with. They are also still looking for two more from the original posting if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wellelsey is a very good department to work for. They offer excellent pay and benifits. I think the hourly rate renges from 15.10 (step1) to 19.25 (Step 6 - max). We are a part of Mass Cop (Massachusetts Coalition of Police union). Work schedule is a 4/2 straight shift. A min of 2 dispatchers work each shift to dispatch all of the towns emergency services (police, fire, EMS). The dispatch center is housed in the police department and managed by a police lieutenant. We also have a phenominal repore with the police officers as well as the FD (there may be an occasional exception to the rule :roll: ). All of the dispatchers working there now are outstanding, motivated professionals who work together as a team. Uniform is a navy blue polo shirt with our communications logo embroided onthe left breast (s/s in summer and l/s in winter), kakki pants, and black shoes. The department provides an $80.00 annual allowance for new footwear.

·
Registered
561 Posts
futureofficer,

If you know someone at a department, have them check the CJIS JOBFILE for dispatch openings. Most of those listings are also posted here on MassCops.

Each department has its own requirements, but many are just looking for a high school diploma and a clean background. Prior relevant experience is probably the most helpful thing to have. Training is usually provided, since it is far less expensive (and much faster) than training a police officer.

Some of the certifications that help are:

APCO, CPR, CJIS/LEAPS, E-911, EMD, EMT

Some of those you can obtain on your own; others (such as CJIS and 911) require you to be hired by a department.

Good luck!

-Mike

·
Registered
561 Posts
I do not think there is any formal CJIS training in Masschusetts. The departments I have worked for had in-house "training", which usually consisted of watching someone use the terminal, then letting you try it yourself.

There is a standard open-book test the the CHSB makes everyone take to maintain their certification every two years, but it has almost nothing to do with the day-to-day tasks most agencies use the terminal for.

-Mike

·
Registered
115 Posts
I attended one of the last CJIS meeting at Bentley College and the speaker had talked about starting a training program.

In-house is kind of hard, because you don't learn until you have to do it yourself. And we have a few officer that are a little impatient when waiting for info.

·
Subscribing Member
2,280 Posts
Pinkos307 said:
What was everyone CJIS/LEAPS training like? Was it internal or did you have ta travel somewhere for it?
I am the CJIS/Leaps rep for my department and I learn it by trail and error never had any formal training. The certification is bull shit really it has nothing to do with the actual use of the CJIS computer. On March 24 and the 31st I am going to MCI Bridgewater to do training on the CJIS it was listed in the NEWS under file name "TRAIN" I have no idea if this is any kind of formal training. I hope it is formal I think I still have a lot to learn, so I signed up, I do any and all training that is offered or available.

·
Registered
253 Posts
i believe the town of wilmington was looking for a dispatcher, i remember seeing it on leaps....they dispatch for both police and fire... brand new station, nice communications center......

·
Registered
70 Posts
Had to go from Newton to New Braintree, and a Sgt from Longmeadow was the instructor. I must say that most of the learning was back in Newton while on the job.

·
Registered
253 Posts
future officer:

wilmington is off i-93 northbound. It's near Reading, Tewksbury, Burlington, Billerica, Andover, Woburn. Hope this helps

....it's quite a drive from taunton.

·
Registered
413 Posts
now what about 911 training? Just got put on in Raynham PT and I know that I gotta get trained in 911 before I can do that. I think there are some classes that I need to take, but not quite sure when they are? :?:

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
The MEMA Bunker in Westboro is probably where you will be heading for a two day class in the APU (Answering Point Unit) I think. If have the option of day or night classes opt for the night ones, less bs and they seem to go by quicker.

Did I mention Attleboro is hiring two dispatchers :wink:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.