Going On The Defensive | Page 2 | MassCops

Going On The Defensive

Discussion in 'Fire, EMS & Medical' started by rocksy1826, Jan 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 94c

94c Subscribing Member

I really doubt that the EMS system is under seige.
    Next thing you know, they'll want chapter 90 powers.

2. rocksy1826

rocksy1826 MassCops Member

a. not claiming to be under seige.

b. ever work ems? we get our share of violent whack jobs without PD assistance on scene. When the call is private (called in directly to our dispatch centers)? We are dispatched to the emergency without PD or FD. We are told to decide upon arrival if we need them and then request what resources we need. Requesting en route when hearing what type of call it is before seeing the scene is frowned upon.

got anything useful to add? I'm not trying to get PD powers. I'm wanting advice on watching my own ass while at work. Yes, I work an emergency service. No, I don't believe myself to be law enforcement of any sort. I provide an entirely different service. I get the impression you're getting huffy and defensive about EMS wanting to protect themselves. Isn't that a basic divine right to protect yourself?

and no way would i carry a gun at work. That has bad idea all over it. After the reminder of pepper spray in the back of the ambulance? I'm backing away from that. Even if I don't spray it, I can just see some asshole getting it off my belt while i'm treating them/assessing them.

Self defense class and watch my ass better. I think that's the best bet. I've gotten a few good suggestions on where to go through PM's. All set.

3. OCKS

OCKS Guest

The EMS people I have worked calls with have always shown nothing but respect for Police officers. I have met a couple of yahoos over the years(forgetting to stop for lights,going too fast) but most have been great. I haven't met any of them have been cop wanabee's.

4. Capt. Kirk

Capt. Kirk Subscribing Member

Hey Rocks,

The RAD self defense class is a great idea. I have taken it. Not sure where you live but their are a few Boston Police that give the class throughout the city from time to time. I think your best bet would be to contact your community service officer for your town or district if in Boston they would probably know when and where classes are. BTW i just googled "Rad classes" and a bunch of PD's popped up. Hope that helps. I see your on the Northshore maybe checkout some colleges to see if they offer it.Good luck and stay safe.

5. 94c

94c Subscribing Member

Nothing personal against you. I just find it quite comical that anyone would think that you should be armed withe either a gun or pepper spray.

You have a duty to care, so if someone is in cardiac arrest in the back of your rig and you pepper spray someone outside, doesn't that person now become your responsibility as well?

What if he is a real jerk? Do you stand there with pepper spray in one hand and saline water in the other? Taking turns spraying and squirting?

My best advice to you is to get the hell out of there.

If you're trapped, then just kick him in the balls.

6. rocksy1826

real jerks you just mouth off at because it feels good.

7. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

We run the RAD class, and I know the people who teach it, so let me know if you're interested.

8. Nachtwächter

Nachtwächter New Member

http://dt4ems.net/

I doubt there will be any classes in the New England anytime soon.

9. Officer Dunngeon

Officer Dunngeon Out of the Loop

You could always call me, Rocksy. I am usually up at 5am and I've been holding in this anger for about 20 years or so that I would love to unleash on some random druggie in Dudley Square at the butt crack of dawn. If you ever want me to come down there with a baseball bat to crack some skulls, you just let me know.

Just kidding... I'm never up at 5am! :lol:

10. Andy0921

Andy0921 MassCops Member

11. rocksy1826

and the next day i would be completely out of a job.

I think I'm going to handle this like I would a misbehaving pet. spray bottle full of water to squirt misbehaving people like i would a cat scratching furniture.

Maybe not effective? but will entertain the living hell out of me with section 12's

12. dcs2244

dcs2244 Moderator Staff Member

Rocksy, a lot of this advice has been good, but what you need is a "multitasker". I suggest you purchase a Stinger type flashlight. They don't take up much room on your belt. They are great as a flashlight (rechargeable) and to play the xylophone on some guys intercostals. No special training, and there's nothing quite like the "happy flashlight" for personal satisfaction.:cool:

The self defence classes do have a drawback: you need to practice the routines to stay proficient. In the real world, that doesn't happen (unless you belong to Fight Club). If you do take a course, take the advice of Danny Duffy (MSP RIP): choose a move you like and make it yours, learn it, love it, live it. Once you use your special move, follow it up with an application of the "happy flashlight".

Then jump back in the rig and head for your destination as your attacker does the "fish" on the sidewalk. You can always make an "anonymous" call to the police reporting the crazy person...by the time the cops arrive, he should be sufficiently recovered to give them a load of crap...at which point the "matter" will be adjusted and you'll be called back to the area for your next transport.:D
    </IMG></IMG>

13. rocksy1826

who wants to start a fight club!?

(not so much)

thank you for the advice. I'm taking the chunks that won't get me fired into account. Very much appreciated.

14. Delta784

Delta784 Guest

When all else fails, an oxygen bottle makes a nifty improvised impact weapon.

15. rocksy1826

used that one in the past. it makes a suprisingly satisfying *THUNK* on impact

16. snowman

snowman New Member

I would consider a LifePack 12 :rolleyes:

17. justanotherparatrooper

justanotherparatrooper Pissin' in liberals cheerio's for 40 years :) Staff Member

How much stock do you own in the company Andy and does your girlfriend mind you sleeping with a taser under your pillow?:rolleyes:

18. Andy0921

Andy0921 MassCops Member

If I start to snore she tasers me.

19. stm4710

stm4710 Subscribing Member

I work for a private ambulance company and also a volunteer on a municipal department that runs EMS in addition to my LE jobs.

I carry a can of OC foam in my EMS pants pocket in addition to my knife. I choose foam for the contamination/clean up factor.

20. JoninNH

JoninNH New Member

You know, that would make an excellent video!

I second the suggestion of a stinger flashlight... aircraft aluminum to the noggon ususally works wonders.

21. Motorcop

Motorcop MassCops Member

Try calling Bob Dyer at Lowell Police Training 978 937 3259. I know he has worked with some of the Hospitals and has a Defensive Tactics course set up.

22. wgciv

wgciv New Member

Go with a K-Bar!!!

23. I've been working for Boston EMS for a few years now. Yeah, we run into some completely whacked out people, best thing I've found is to try to talk em down first but if that doesn't work and you're rolling with someone without PD, I usually just take 'em down and kneel on their diaphragm for a few min while we restrain.

Works well unless they're on PCP or delusional, in that case there's no patient that's worth getting injured or killed over... remember "scene safety" means you don't put yourself into danger. If it's clear to me that we're not going to be able to beat them, then I'll just back off until such time as we get more people to help (pretty short order in Boston when you need them).
    You use any kind of weapon as an EMT, unfortunately, and you're asking for a lawsuit if you get caught. Have I occassionally utilized my Stinger for other than lighting purposes? Sure. Have I been exceptionally careful only to do what I needed to do to defend myself, my partner, and the public? Yep.

Some people want to carry OC, a sap (used to be the norm in my dept), or a gun. First off, that makes us combatants and fair game for anyone who decides they wanna take a shot at us... that "they're the medical" with some of the gangs would go out the window.

Second, anyone that wants to shoot or stab you, if you let them get close enough to you without realizing that something might be up, then it's gonna be too late anyway. And anyone who's gonna shoot or stab us isn't gonna be trying to injure... this from a guy who's had more than one piece and blade pulled on him.

Personally? I carry a blade and a flashlight. The blade I use to cut belts. The flashlight is used to light up things.

A final word: when you club some guy over the head and he ends up being a diabetic or a head injury, it's gonna be pretty damn hard to defend what you did.

24. rocksy1826

once again:

this was not a patient. I'm good at defending myself with patients. They don't attack me when I've closed up the back and am getting into the drivers seat and the person comes out of nowhere practically with no warning.

I'm looking for info on self defense courses to protect myself against the random whackjobs that may attack a person. Patients are not my problem. Specifically, defense courses that teach you techiniques to get the upper hand when the person is on you in a way that makes normal methods (punch in the face, knee in the nuts, o2 tank to the face) not an option.

25. justanotherparatrooper

justanotherparatrooper Pissin' in liberals cheerio's for 40 years :) Staff Member

Ok, heres my 2 cents. Always be aware of your surroundings. Your a medic so you always have pens, sissors, knife on you...theyre all potential weapons. you dont need to kill the guy or gal just hurt em bad enough to get away or put yourself into a more defensible position. If your attacked , your fighting for your life so anything goes. drive the afore mentioned articles into the testicles, eyes,throat... anywhere you can get to until you can get away.Fingers into the eyes and nostrils. stomp his instep...In other words be a wildcat.
    After all that shit, be prepared to get fired and be arrested but atleast your alive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.