21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
94c said:
Hey, I've got an idea!

How about calling the Police?
i did that. but guess what? It's really difficult to call someone when you're fighting someone, smartass.

thank you for your incredibly inciteful and helpful response to my questions about where to take courses and what kinds of methods people use for protection.

G

·
As mentioned, letting loose pepper spray in the back of an ambulance isn't the best option, ask some of your x-ray co-workers.

I've done it several times, but then again I didn't have to ride in the back on the way to the hospital. :cool:

·
Subscribing Member
642 Posts
I don't understand why they won't let you guys carry... I mean there is no way I would be caught dead working Boston EMS or any other dangerous area and being on the scenes of murders literally seconds after they happen and not having any personal protection. If you are qualified enough to have sombody's life in your hands, you should be able to carry a firearm to defend yourself.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Batman,

Another vote for Krav or similar self defense course...

Although, I don't think OC spray is a horrible idea so long as you get the FID card and understand how/when to use it. At least that way you can incapacitate an attacker from a distance.

either self defense skills or OC both have their own pros and cons...

with open hand/kubaton/ect you are going to get up close and personal....

OC you can use from about 4-6 ft away... however it is also something that might get turned against you/accidentally expose yourself while spraying someone else.

While your service might have some kind of liability about it, it is not totally unheard of for EMTs to carry firearms(remember that instructor jane brought in? the really cynical guy, he was packing while working as a paramedic) so why not OC?

either way
let me me know what you decide, I'm curious.

·
Subscribing Member
5,135 Posts
Sniper said:
I dont think EMS personnel should carry firearms.......... Just my .02
I really doubt that the EMS system is under seige.
Next thing you know, they'll want chapter 90 powers.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
94c said:
I really doubt that the EMS system is under seige.
Next thing you know, they'll want chapter 90 powers.
a. not claiming to be under seige.

b. ever work ems? we get our share of violent whack jobs without PD assistance on scene. When the call is private (called in directly to our dispatch centers)? We are dispatched to the emergency without PD or FD. We are told to decide upon arrival if we need them and then request what resources we need. Requesting en route when hearing what type of call it is before seeing the scene is frowned upon.

got anything useful to add? I'm not trying to get PD powers. I'm wanting advice on watching my own ass while at work. Yes, I work an emergency service. No, I don't believe myself to be law enforcement of any sort. I provide an entirely different service. I get the impression you're getting huffy and defensive about EMS wanting to protect themselves. Isn't that a basic divine right to protect yourself?

and no way would i carry a gun at work. That has bad idea all over it. After the reminder of pepper spray in the back of the ambulance? I'm backing away from that. Even if I don't spray it, I can just see some asshole getting it off my belt while i'm treating them/assessing them.

Self defense class and watch my ass better. I think that's the best bet. I've gotten a few good suggestions on where to go through PM's. All set.

G

·
The EMS people I have worked calls with have always shown nothing but respect for Police officers. I have met a couple of yahoos over the years(forgetting to stop for lights,going too fast) but most have been great. I haven't met any of them have been cop wanabee's.

·
Subscribing Member
185 Posts
Hey Rocks,

The RAD self defense class is a great idea. I have taken it. Not sure where you live but their are a few Boston Police that give the class throughout the city from time to time. I think your best bet would be to contact your community service officer for your town or district if in Boston they would probably know when and where classes are. BTW i just googled "Rad classes" and a bunch of PD's popped up. Hope that helps. I see your on the Northshore maybe checkout some colleges to see if they offer it.Good luck and stay safe.

·
Subscribing Member
5,135 Posts
rocksy1826 said:
i did that. but guess what? It's really difficult to call someone when you're fighting someone, smartass.

thank you for your incredibly inciteful and helpful response to my questions about where to take courses and what kinds of methods people use for protection.
Nothing personal against you. I just find it quite comical that anyone would think that you should be armed withe either a gun or pepper spray.

You have a duty to care, so if someone is in cardiac arrest in the back of your rig and you pepper spray someone outside, doesn't that person now become your responsibility as well?

What if he is a real jerk? Do you stand there with pepper spray in one hand and saline water in the other? Taking turns spraying and squirting?

My best advice to you is to get the hell out of there.

If you're trapped, then just kick him in the balls.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
94c said:
Nothing personal against you. I just find it quite comical that anyone would think that you should be armed withe either a gun or pepper spray.

You have a duty to care, so if someone is in cardiac arrest in the back of your rig and you pepper spray someone outside, doesn't that person now become your responsibility as well?

What if he is a real jerk? Do you stand there with pepper spray in one hand and saline water in the other? Taking turns spraying and squirting?

My best advice to you is to get the hell out of there.

If you're trapped, then just kick him in the balls.
real jerks you just mouth off at because it feels good.

·
Out of the Loop
2,512 Posts
You could always call me, Rocksy. I am usually up at 5am and I've been holding in this anger for about 20 years or so that I would love to unleash on some random druggie in Dudley Square at the butt crack of dawn. If you ever want me to come down there with a baseball bat to crack some skulls, you just let me know.

Just kidding... I'm never up at 5am! :lol:

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
andy0921 said:
and the next day i would be completely out of a job.

I think I'm going to handle this like I would a misbehaving pet. spray bottle full of water to squirt misbehaving people like i would a cat scratching furniture.

Maybe not effective? but will entertain the living hell out of me with section 12's

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Rocksy, a lot of this advice has been good, but what you need is a "multitasker". I suggest you purchase a Stinger type flashlight. They don't take up much room on your belt. They are great as a flashlight (rechargeable) and to play the xylophone on some guys intercostals. No special training, and there's nothing quite like the "happy flashlight" for personal satisfaction.:cool:

The self defence classes do have a drawback: you need to practice the routines to stay proficient. In the real world, that doesn't happen (unless you belong to Fight Club). If you do take a course, take the advice of Danny Duffy (MSP RIP): choose a move you like and make it yours, learn it, love it, live it. Once you use your special move, follow it up with an application of the "happy flashlight".

Then jump back in the rig and head for your destination as your attacker does the "fish" on the sidewalk. You can always make an "anonymous" call to the police reporting the crazy person...by the time the cops arrive, he should be sufficiently recovered to give them a load of crap...at which point the "matter" will be adjusted and you'll be called back to the area for your next transport.:D
</IMG></IMG>

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
dcs2244 said:
In the real world, that doesn't happen (unless you belong to Fight Club).
who wants to start a fight club!?

(not so much)

thank you for the advice. I'm taking the chunks that won't get me fired into account. Very much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Delta784 said:
When all else fails, an oxygen bottle makes a nifty improvised impact weapon.
used that one in the past. it makes a suprisingly satisfying *THUNK* on impact

21 - 40 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.