Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Boston Globe reporter masquerading as a Hub taxi driver gave a disputed version of a two-car crash that sent him and his two passengers to the hospital in a front-page story yesterday that's raising questions about liability and whether he misrepresented himself.
The one-sided account of the crash, included in a report about Boston's cab industry, also came after the reporter appeared to conceal his Globe employment in an application to the cab company that hired him.
In the application, Spotlight Team reporter Bob Hohler stated to Boston Cab Co. that his occupation was "sports" and he worked for "NYT Company," but he did not disclose his role as a Globe investigative reporter on assignment. The New York Times Co. is the Globe's parent company.

http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion/local_coverage/2013/04/globie_s_cab_crash_raises_eyebrows

·
I think, therefore I'll never be promoted.
18,820 Posts
A dishonest reporter? I'm shocked, dismayed, alarmed and tickled pink that the jackass is being exposed!

G

·
One paper taking jabs at another? This is going to get fun.

Lets see how long the Globe keeps printing the Herald after this.....

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Times defends Globe undercover scribe

Thursday, April 4, 2013
PrintEmailComments (3)
By:

Matt Stout

A Boston Globe reporter masquerading as a cab driver for an undercover report appears to have violated the New York Times ethics policy, yet was defended by the Times yesterday.
Times policy clearly states that "staff members and others on assignment for us should disclose their identity to people they cover, though they need not always announce their occupation when seeking information normally available to the public."
The policy further notes that "journalists may not pose as anyone they are not - for example, police officers or lawyers."

But Times spokeswoman Eileen M. Murphy insisted Globe Spotlight Team reporter Bob Hohler "was within the policies" when he failed to identify himself as a reporter when he applied for a job at the Boston Cab Co. for the purposes 
of his undercover report.
Instead Hohler listed his occupation as "sports" and his employer as the "NYT Company." He then worked as a licensed Boston Cab driver for eight nights, including when he was involved in a Nov. 4 crash that sent him and his two passengers to the hospital.
"We don't feel in any way he misrepresented himself," Murphy told the Herald yesterday.

http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion/local_coverage/2013/04/times_defends_globe_undercover_scribe

G

·
The Glob will skate right through this. Apparently, the cab company does absolutely no kind of follow up on the applications. How many sex offenders are driving people around?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

·
1,334 Posts
"Deceptive methods are only acceptable if there was no other way to get the story," said Stephen Ward, director of the Center of Journalism Ethics at University of Wisconsin-Madison. "This strikes me as a story you could get without having to go with these pretenses."
Must be pretty lonely at the Center for Journalism Ethics...

Ward, the ethics expert, called the decision to report only one point of view of the accident "incredibly self-serving."
Since when does the media not act self-serving, usually in a sad attempt to capture dwindling ratings or readers. The media reporting two sides of any story? Since when??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Posts
I thought he had to get his hack license from the BPD after passing a CORI check. I know when I moonlighted as a taxi driver I had to pay something like $45 to the local police department to have a CORI check before they would issue me a hack license. I then needed to bring a copy of my driving record from the RMV to the cab company along with my hack license.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.