Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Combat Auto Theft with - Mobile License Plate Reading

G2Tactics built the first mobile stolen auto detector integrated with FBI's NCIC database that operates on the move and reads license plates in real time. This product is called the GLAVID. It uses an infrared (I/R) camera with a high powered processor to both read the license plate and compare the number to the onboard database. GLAVID allows an officer to point the camera into traffic and cover up to two lanes at residential/highway speeds, day/night (while an officer goes about their daily duties).

First Demonstration

G2Tactics Mobile License Plate Reader Detects Stolen Auto In First Demonstration At Highway Speeds
May 3, 2004. Alexandria, VA.

G2Tactics of Alexandria, VA is introducing a mobile license plate reader system that aids law enforcement in the identification of stolen vehicles. G2Tactics markets the stolen car identification system under the name GLAVID™.

While demonstrating GLAVID™ to Deputies with the Stafford County Sheriffs Office a stolenauto went by and GLAVID™ detected and alarmed on the vehicle in real time. The stolen auto was traveling at 60 mph along Interstate 95 in a driving rain storm. GLAVID™ read the Oklahoma license plate and signaled the Deputy that it was stolen. Stafford County Deputies, aided by Virginia State Police, executed a felony stop, and made two arrests.

GLAVID™ uses an infrared camera with built in license plate recognition software to recognize, read, and check the license plate against the FBI's stolen auto database - and it does all this in real time. GLAVID™ works at residential and highway speeds during both day and night operations. GLAVID™ reads the license plates in fixed positions or on-the-move and then compares them against local and national data bases of the 1.4 million vehicles that are stolen annually.

"Motor vehicle theft costs the US nearly $8 billion annually and results in higher insurance rates and in lost productivity of victims," said Andrew Bucholz, President of G2Tactics. "This technology is the future of Law Enforcement," said Lt. Patrick Kelley, Stafford County Sheriffs Office.

"G2Tactics' GLAVID™ is extremely easy to use and requires minimal training," said Bucholz. "I am a former police officer and we developed GLAVID™ to be 'cop friendly'". GLAVID™ was developed under a grant from the Department of Justice, Office of Justice Programs, National Institute of Justice.

http://www.g2tactics.com/pressreleaseforglavid.pdf

For more information contact:
703-608-7393
[email protected]
www.G2Tactics.com

G2TACTICS
1600 Prince Street, #115
Alexandria, VA 22314

Related Links

http://www.g2tactics.com/glavid.html

http://nij.ncjrs.org/portfolio/XSearch_Details.asp?strGrantNumber=2002LTBXK006&strPN=sl

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: GLAVID - Mobile License Plate Reading $43,000

Got a call from the New England sales rep yesterday, a single unit sells for $43,000. He also mentioned that New Haven CT. is currently using them.

PM me if you want the sales rep cell number.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I read about this in an issue of Law Enforcement Technology. Hot stuff! I think you can add your own specialized database also for other purposes, so its usefulness is extended further.

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
294 Posts
Awesome technology. While I don't think finding stolen cars will be a problem for anyone I'm sure the ACLU and privacy fanatics will have a big problem with other possible uses.

·
Founder of MassCops
6,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome technology. While I don't think finding stolen cars will be a problem for anyone I'm sure the ACLU and privacy fanatics will have a big problem with other possible uses.
Yes in the Law Enforcement Technology mag someone was already bitching about it. Their main gripe was not that the device would discriminate (DUH) but that the officer would by only using it in certain neighborhoods. :roll:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts