Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me why are we considering this?

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- Deposed Iraqi President Saddam Hussein and all Iraqi detainees will be handed over to Iraqi authorities in the next two weeks, Iraq's interim prime minister said Monday.

But Pentagon officials insist they are not aware of any immediate plans calling for the United States to hand over Saddam or any detainees.

They say U.S. forces will continue to hold Saddam and thousands of other detainees even after power is transferred to the Iraqi government at the end of June.

Pentagon officials' comments came after Iraq's interim Prime Minister Iyad Allawi said he had received an official confirmation that the former Iraqi leader would be turned over to the country's interim government.

"Saddam and the others will be delivered to the Iraqis, to the Iraqi government," he told the Arab satellite network al-Jazeera.

The U.S.-led Coalition Provisional Authority will transfer sovereignty to the Iraqi people June 30.

When asked when a trial for Saddam might begin, the prime minister said, "As soon as possible, God willing."

Saddam was captured by U.S. troops December 13 near his ancestral home of Tikrit, where he was hiding in a "spider hole."

U.S. officials have described Saddam as being less than cooperative during his interrogations.

At this time, no charges have been filed against him.

·
Subscribing Member
1,316 Posts
well there isn't a whole lot we can to with him. Us as americans can't put him on trial. He has no charges of genocide, torture or crimes against humanity by any United Nations court. We wanted the dictator and his regime brought down for many justifiable reasons but it was never really briefed what was going to be done once we got him.. I guess everyone figured he would be killed. Its kinda tricky what should we do with him? Its not like we can exocute him. He is not Bin Laden who is wanted for terrorist attack against the U.S.

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,799 Posts
EOD1 said:
well there isn't a whole lot we can to with him. Us as americans can't put him on trial. He has no charges of genocide, torture or crimes against humanity by any United Nations court. We wanted the dictator and his regime brought down for many justifiable reasons but it was never really briefed what was going to be done once we got him.. I guess everyone figured he would be killed. Its kinda tricky what should we do with him? Its not like we can exocute him. He is not Bin Laden who is wanted for terrorist attack against the U.S.
We've done enough I guess. We did bring the SOB down.
:wink:

Now it's up to HIS OWN people to try, judge, and execute him. And believe me, they'll do a lot worse to him than we ever could! (Remember Mussolini?)
:D

·
Subscribing Member
185 Posts
The problem i imagine with handing Saddam over to the new Iraqi government is who is to say that once they have them that their new government isn't forced to hand him over to some extremist group like Al-queda or the Taliban.
We all know it won't work with the U.S. because we don't negotiate but it is a new government over there they might be to unstable to stand their ground in some terrorist hostage scheme.
Just my opinion on what could go wrong with handing him over.

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
I agree. There is still too many Saddam "Loyalists" on the loose there... it could get ugly. But if we aren't going to keep or kill him, what can we do? I don't think he'll ever have the full power again, but I am concerned about him "escaping" from custody and going to live off an island somewhere.

psst... where are the snipers in the trees when you need 'em?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I also agree Saddam needs to be STONED to death in front of everyone so that people know USA is serious. Bin La din different story. Let Bush concentrate on the election first we will worry about the terrorist after November or in till is interrupts Mr. Bushes way of life. YA RIGHT !!!!! Do some thing NOW before more Americans die...... :twisted: :evil:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.