Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear that Sheriffs will no longer be allowed into the reserve academy is this true???
Is this for all R/I academies in MA?

Give me the dirt please

·
Registered
68 Posts
I heard at In-Service a few weeks ago that there was a big "falling out" with the sheriffs dept. and the MCJTC or whatever it is they are calling themselves these days - I was told they are no longer welcome at in-service anymore - so I'm assuming that goes for the R/I Academy also.

"can't we all just get along"

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,754 Posts
Correct!

MPTC (Municipal Police Training Council) has BANNED Sheriffs and Campus Police from attending In service and specialized trainings at all sites.
:?
Funny thing is many Campus agencies like U/Mass, BSC, and others are MPOC trained, but now they're cut off at the knees for anything further. I am convinced this is fallout from the MCJTC changing to MPTC, and moving to curtail the Sheriffs from any further "incursions" into traditional police roles. Unfortunately, many other police agencies are suffering because of this policy change.
:roll:

·
Registered
105 Posts
This is nothing more than a waste of time. Deputy Sheriffs and Campus Police can train through their own certified instructors, train with the certified local police instructors, and most of which hold part time status on a local pd and can still attend the MCJTC on their part time police status.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Why doesn't this surpise me, why do people think campus officers are a threat to their jobs or training. Their is enough work/training out their that no one should feel threatened by a campus cop sitting in on an inservice class.

·
Registered
75 Posts
the mptc is now on the verge of being broke because of the ruling regarding sheriff's. The sheriff's guys (most of whom are FULL TIME c/o's) pay themselves to go to this tranining. They get the details that go unfilled from the local departments. Im told that if the Sheriff's department were not callled, these details would go to the town auxiliaries. Who would you rather have taking that unfilled detail, a FULL TIME law enforcement officer, or the guy who works an occasional detail, does a volunteer parade job once a year, all so he can get a pistol permit in the town he lives in? :sb: So "jo" maybe you think it is a waste of time, but it certainly not a waste of money having deputies. Forgive the rant

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Always a gripe

Does anyone know what the official line is about barring Sheriffs from the Academy. Also, is this all R/I academies in MA.

This is gonna open a much bigger can of worms once the Sheriffs, Campus Officers etc. etc. etc... start to train themselves

Short of barring all part-time/reserve/Sheriff/Campus/Aux from working details or on the street the Police unions will always have a gripe.

·
Premium Member
6,401 Posts
An Auxiliary!

pucknut said:
the mptc is now on the verge of being broke because of the ruling regarding sheriff's. The sheriff's guys (most of whom are FULL TIME c/o's) pay themselves to go to this tranining. They get the details that go unfilled from the local departments. Im told that if the Sheriff's department were not callled, these details would go to the town auxiliaries. Who would you rather have taking that unfilled detail, a FULL TIME law enforcement officer, or the guy who works an occasional detail, does a volunteer parade job once a year, all so he can get a pistol permit in the town he lives in? :sb: So "jo" maybe you think it is a waste of time, but it certainly not a waste of money having deputies. Forgive the rant
I seriously doubt that if the mptc is going broke it is because the lack of funds generated by the sheriffs putting themselves through this academy. Why knock on the auxiliaries? They too may work in some aspect of law enforcement on a "FULL TIME" basis. But since you asked, I would rather have one of our own auxiliaries working the details. 1 because I know them, I know the process they went through and 2 because they donate their free time and deserve a little kick back now and then to compensate them for the time and money they have already invested!

·
Subscribing Member
4,376 Posts
Im told that if the Sheriff's department were not callled, these details would go to the town auxiliaries
Yeah right, I was an auxiliary and my department would rather have me work in my town then some freaking hack wanna be cop deputy nothing. Auxiliaries go to PT academy and guess what else, they work cruiser shifts in most departments vs. a CO that watches cons all day, no disrespect intended. And as far as the deputy hack sheriffs, I could care less for them. God help one of them if they ever flash me with a badge. :twisted: MPTC is doing very well and the academies are full because of self sponsored from Municipal departments. Nice try Fucknut, I mean Phucknut.

·
1,334 Posts
Re: An Auxiliary!

Gil said:
pucknut said:
I seriously doubt that if the mptc is going broke it is because the lack of funds generated by the sheriffs putting themselves through this academy. Why knock on the auxiliaries? They too may work in some aspect of law enforcement on a "FULL TIME" basis. But since you asked, I would rather have one of our own auxiliaries working the details. 1 because I know them, I know the process they went through and 2 because they donate their free time and deserve a little kick back now and then to compensate them for the time and money they have already invested!
Seeing how the academies wait until there are atleast 40 recruits to hold an academy and make the towns pay tuition for the officers to go, I doubt the MPTC it going broke, I am sure the cover their costs, or else the cost to send an officer will go up. And if there was an issue with the agency, they are funded by the state, I am sure there are means to supliment their budgit...

On the subject of the details...if the town has part-time/reserve, specials or auxillary officers they should have the option for details ahead of outside agencies and Sheriff's Department. Like Gil stated, many specials or auxillary are full-time in law enforcment elsewhere (courts, probation, etc...) or have served many years p/t. Hey, some are even academy trained trying to get experience etc... Departments should watch out for their own guys first.

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
j809,

Are all Deputy Sheriff's "some freaking hack wanna be cop deputy nothing"? or just those who are politically appointed? I do not work details through the Sheriff's Department anymore, so I don't really have an interest either way, but the argument is interesting. As a full-time Deputy Sheriff, and a part-time Reserve Police Officer, I wonder if I am qualified to work a detail when I have my dark blue uniform on (police), but unqualified when I have my light blue one on (SD). No matter who I am working for, the training and the experience is the same. I wonder where the difference lies.

On a side note, I walked by our training board today, and there was a posting regarding an upcoming reserve class in Reading, inviting corrections officers to sign up. Who knows? Eh.

·
Subscribing Member
944 Posts

Gil said:
pucknut said:
Just as I was gonna put it!! Thanks Gil!! =D>

Scott :santa:

·
Retired Fed, Active Special
8,754 Posts
MPTC going broke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????

AH F*CKING HA HA!!!!!
They are so well funded by state and federal money. Check out their budget before you make statements like that YEESH! And what impact would deputies "paying themselves" have on budget anyway? Come on Pucknut!
:roll:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Pucknut, when I stated "waste of time" I meant attempting to keep campus police and or sheriffs from training is a waste of time. They will be able to obtain training with or without the consent of the MCJTC. As I also stated a majority of campus police and sheriffs are part time police officers and can still attend the MCJTC training on the towns dime. As for J809 your responce to Pucknut was clearly un-called for. I would imagine that this site was not intended for coments such as that. Your post sounded more like you were looking for a fight after school than an intelligent opinion on the issue.

·
Registered
371 Posts

Gil said:
pucknut said:
I'm gonna agree w/ Gil here too!

Being one of those Reserve/Aux. Officers who does work details regularly, I would much rather have another Aux Ofc. than a sheriff. You should see some of these guys walk in the door; I end up babysitting these guys when I'm in charge of a detail. They're a mess!

I know that we have to go through the Res/Int academy, then in-house training before we're even allowed on the streets. Then we must keep the up w/ the same departmental training that the regular ofc's do. You can't say there is a lack of training here. I've also worked w/ the Attleboro Aux in the past, some are more squared away than others, but as a whole they are a reliable bunch.

Sheriffs need to know their role in MA and accept it. Stop trying to take other PO's jobs.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK guys,

I was just looking for the inside scoop as to why the Sheriffs are barred. That being said I think we are all dumping on these guys a little too much here. Remember they only get the details when you can't fill them. We all know there a alot of fine well trained officers out there in many different uniforms and all departments without exception have thier share of knuckleheads.

You want to barr them from training then the arguement is that they are not trained enough to be out there..... I don't get the logic behind that.

. Let's face it from what I have heard Chapt 90 is on it's way for most Sheriffs on the street. If they get barred from all POLICE sponsored training they may very well start with in house training and really try and make a presence on the street.

I hope the police unions have enough sense to sit down with them and come to some agreement as to the scope and nature of duties that everyone can live with

Right now LEOs are looking at the Law Enforcement Sheriffs as the red headed step child. But, when it comes down to it family is family.

At the end of the day if agree or not with the politics behind it. I give the Sheriffs all the respect and courtesy as I would any sworn Law Enforcement Officer. We can always have a healthy off duty arguement about the entire issue over a few beers

·
Registered
105 Posts
Wordstew, well said. We all have knuckle heads in every job. Many things could be solved with beer and hot wings. As it is tuesady night and our local pub is offering 10 cent wings and 32oz beers I will get started right away.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Re: re: Give Me The Dirt Please [reserve academy]

jo said:
Wordstew, well said. We all have knuckle heads in every job. Many things could be solved with beer and hot wings. As it is tuesady night and our local pub is offering 10 cent wings and 32oz beers I will get started right away.
Ten cent wings and 32oz beers... sounds like a plan.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I'm hopping on the Gil bandwagon. God bless the Sheriffs-but let our P/T, P/I and Auxies get in the fray first. Especially the poor pricks that do all the "Volunteer" shifts....... :roll:

·
Subscribing Member
1,167 Posts
As a Sheriff, I would like to see every employee of the particular department which is hirng the detail get offered the job, before it goes out to the Sheriff's Department. Sheriff's should not be offered details, when there are capable employees from that department available.

JoinNH,

Where are you getting 10 cent wings? I'm there!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.