Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Police arrested many who attended the New England Country Music Festival at Gillette Stadium on Saturday. (Photo by Stu Skerker)

FOXBORO - State police were arresting people by the busload Saturday as a music festival once again dissolved into a block party of underage drinking and fighting.

Dozens of concert-goers were held for crimes ranging from underage drinking and drunk and disorderly conduct to assault and battery as police cracked down at the New England Country Music Festival at Gillette Stadium.

As of 11 p.m., police said about 40 people had been arrested, with about 45 more waiting to be processed in portable booking trailers. By the end of the night, police said over 100 people may face arrest.

Those waiting to be arrested were being held in prisoner transport vans while awaiting booking.

Last year's festival, also headlined by Chesney, caused problems when thousands of ticketless fans showed up and turned parking lots into block parties, complete with binge drinking. The day was full of fights and car vandalism.

Authorities guide those arrested at the New England Country Music Festival into the police station. (Photo by Stu Skerker)

To combat these problems, state and local police patrolled parking lots, checking the identification of those drinking and trying to keep tempers down.

This year marked the fifth anniversary of the annual festival. Kenny Chesney headlined the concert, which featured an all-star line-up, including LeAnn Rimes and Keith Urban.

The concert also caused traffic delays as concert fans flocked to Route 1, as well as Interstate-95 and Interstate-495.

http://www.thesunchronicle.com/articles/2008/07/27/news/3459314.txt

·
Registered
779 Posts
Tell me about it....they tried to infringe upon our command area we've been at for a couple years now which was MADE FOR US BY THE KRAFTS...they had crap parked everywhere...sooo many command centers....NO INTEROPERABILITY (wheres STR8HACK??..)...
I was asking the same question about that and the response was they were asked to send assistance to transport prisoners to lock ups for the police and troopers making arrests from the local high sheriff...last year there were over 100 arrests trying to clear parking lots alone...they probably went for the strong show of force.....

Funny how they can free up guys these events but can't get regional guys to pick up local/state prisoners...

·
Needs more complaints
4,309 Posts
NO INTEROPERABILITY (wheres STR8HACK??..)
Scene Commander: "Station H, can we get a SOPS channel for this event?"

Dispatch: "Affirmative, switch to SOPS 1, 2, 3, etc, or Local 7, 8 etc, for this event."

Done, and all involved agencies achieve INTEROPERABILITY.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I'll do you one better... (in reference to an unmarked car with Middlesex cruiser hat in 5% tinted windows PARKED RIGHT NEXT TO THE MOBILE COMMAND CENTER!!)

My Lt. - Move that car before it gets towed

Middlesex Sgt WORKING THE COMMAND STATION: Yeah um we can't GET A HOLD OF the guy driving it...oh and sorry about the mess here we didn't think you were coming - even though youre at almost 99% of events there....WTF

·
Needs more complaints
4,309 Posts
I'll do you one better... (in reference to an unmarked car with Middlesex cruiser hat in 5% tinted windows PARKED RIGHT NEXT TO THE MOBILE COMMAND CENTER!!)

My Lt. - Move that car before it gets towed

Middlesex Sgt WORKING THE COMMAND STATION: Yeah um we can't GET A HOLD OF the guy driving it...oh and sorry about the mess here we didn't think you were coming - even though youre at almost 99% of events there....WTF
Kind of like them invading New Orleans uninvited

G

·
We had a contingent at Gillette last night, I have yet to hear the stories.

One Foxborough supervisor told me during a Patriots game last year to avoid the country concert at all costs. The usual threat (revocation of season tickets) does no good that night.

G

·
I had a great time........... JAP I wish I knew you were there. LEOs were in full force. Saw some OUTLANDISH things in the parking lot. All in all a great time. Very sad to hear about the triple fatal out on RT 1 during the show. OUCH. Highlight of the show was Kenney calling the Sox out onto stage..........

·
Zombie Hunter
4,815 Posts
Funny how they can free up guys these events but can't get regional guys to pick up local/state prisoners...
Its not about the people who actually work their ass off on the tiers; its about the hacks who can ride their motorcycles and get their picture in the paper. I'm surprised Middlesex didn't dispatch their boat on a trailer for a photo-op.

By the way Lawdog...how many wood shampoos did you hand out? ;)

G

·
NO INTEROPERABILITY
You should have called the CMPSA Emergency Response Team. They could have red-lighted it all the way to Foxboro with their mobile repeaters and you guys would have been all set. :rolleyes:

Inside Gillette, everyone works on a special Foxborough PD channel dedicated to the stadium. Works pretty well.

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nonticket holders blamed for ruckus at music festival

76 held, some for underage drinking

By John C. Drake

Globe Staff / July 28, 2008

It's billed as the largest concert series in New England, and police say the fifth annual New England Country Music Festival at Foxborough's Gillette Stadium was also a draw for underage drinking and booze-fueled brawls Saturday, with much of the pandemonium unleashed by party seekers who did not have tickets to the concert.

State Police detained 76 people - some facing minor-in-possession charges - in parking lots at and around Gillette Stadium during a daylong series of concerts by some of country music's biggest stars, including headliner Kenny Chesney, Hall of Famer Sammy Hager, and Grammy winners Keith Urban and LeAnn Rimes.
More than 50,000 people - a sellout crowd - filled the stands at the home of the New England Patriots, but many more staked out tailgating spots in surrounding parking lots.
A 19-year-old woman and her 20-year-old friend died and a third friend, age 20, was seriously injured when their car crashed into a tree on Route 1 south in Wrentham about 7 p.m. yesterday. The women had come from the stadium, but they did not have tickets to the concert, a relative of one of the victims said.
About an hour later, Edward Guerrini, 67, of Foxborough, was arrested and charged with operating under the influence, impeded operation, and marked-lanes violation when he drove into cones marking the scene of the earlier fatal crash. He was released on $40 bail, according to State Police.
Other arrests stemming from the festivities were for minor violations, including open container, minor-in-possession, disorderly conduct, assault, and trespassing, said State Police spokesman Eric Benson.
Anyone entering stadium-owned parking lots was required to have a ticket, Benson said, and those found partying without tickets were cited for trespassing. He said all arrested had been released by yesterday afternoon.
"There were quite a few fights in the parking lots, alcohol violations, and disorderly persons," Benson said.
Captain David Healy of the Foxborough Fire Department said paramedics were also busy at the concert, responding to heat-related calls in the afternoon and numerous minor injuries, some caused by fights, in the evening.
"It's basically an all-day thing. They start early and try to stay in there as long as they can," Healy said. "We gear up for it. Once the gates open to the stadium and the fans come in, it's usually a short time thereafter that the calls start picking up."
Three fans who attended the concert said they noticed plenty of tailgaters in the parking lots and a heavy police presence inside the stadium. But they described the scene among the ticketed concertgoers inside as tame for an outdoor concert. They suggested that the scene inside the arena was calmer than that reported by police outside.
"I've been to other concerts, and it's one of the concerts that is the least rowdy," said 27-year-old Bonnie Santos of Georgetown.
A Gillette Stadium spokesperson did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ar..._holders_blamed_for_ruckus_at_music_festival/

·
Registered
779 Posts
Last year sucked because the powers that be didn't think it would be as rowdy as it turned out to be...because of non ticketed people tailgating...plus they weren't supposed to open the gates until 1300hrs but because of traffic on Rte 95 they opened early and it was chaos...yeah at least PATS fans want to keep their tickets...that don't work on drunks with no tickets...funny what my 2,000 lbs animal can do to motivate shitheads though...

DELTA I did see a bunch of Quincy boys on bikes...

KILLJOY....I coulda had some fun with that Shambach (however the hell ya spell it)haha...no we actualy had our own little game of punch buggy yellow...but you can draw your own conclusions....JUST KIDDING!!!

In all seriousness..with the exception of the million dollar interoperability eyesore school bus parked in our area that didn't work even within their own agency HAHAHAHAHA....this year was a million times better than last year with a couple hiccups...boring for us but good overall...

·
Registered
3,110 Posts

Officer, these cuffs are tight

I'm not an officer boy see that sign on that bus!!!!!!!!!!!! I have the whole county!

2,000 lbs animal-I assume you have a Horse, that must be awesome.

As far as interoperability is concerned isn't it interesting how Worcester County hijacks the LOCPS Channels! Once again Middlesex County you are pathetic just like that time you showed up at the Hanscom Air Show and I spent weeks getting the idea out of my little nephew's heads that those sheriff's walking around wearing helmets are NOT motorcycle cops, "they were playing policemen" that day helping out with traffic.

·
MassCops Angel
121,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
State police: Some progress, but not enough at Gillette Stadium show

FOXBORO - State and local police officials won't take a stand on whether selectmen should let the New England Country Music Festival return to Gillette Stadium next year.

After fights and car vandalism marred last year's concert, both police officials said Monday that increasing the police presence and turning away cars lacking tickets for all occupants helped control Saturday's crowd.

In fact, the festival was going "really well" before it "started to deteriorate" between 6 and 6:30 p.m., Lt. Jeff Stuart, commander of the Foxboro State Police barracks, said Monday.

The stadium parking lots opened at 1:30 p.m., and the stadium gates at 2 p.m.

"Even though we made some progress this year, it wasn't enough," Stuart said. Stuart expects to "come up with some ideas" with Foxboro Police Chief Edward O'Leary and stadium officials.

"Would I say the event should not be licensed? No, I'm not going to say that," Stuart said.

O'Leary said it's "up to the licensing authority," the selectmen, to decide whether to allow the concert to return next year.

Most selectmen could not be reached for comment, but Selectman Paul Feeney said it is too early to say whether the event should be approved for next year, but he is willing to consider it.

"I'm certainly not in a position right now to say. If the stadium books it again, it is a conversation we are going to have to have," he said.

O'Leary said it appears that this year's security strategy worked.

"We didn't have the level of violence that was going on in the parking lots last year," he said.

"We did make more arrests, but that was part of the strategy."

Foxboro police took 100 people into custody, including 60 into protective custody, O'Leary said.

State Police placed a total of 76 people into either protective custody, arrested, or summonsed to court. By comparison, Foxboro police last year set a Gillette Stadium record for the number of people taken into custody at one event: 71, including 18 arrests, compared with 44 in 2006.

In 2007, state police placed 17 people in protective custody, and arrested five others.

"Last year, it was worse," Stuart said. "There were more arrests this year, but we had more manpower available to affect arrests."

Last year, the problems began earlier in the day, Stuart said.

O'Leary said having the "no ticket, no entry" policy on Saturday "was huge."

O'Leary said he was especially upset by how many juveniles were drinking at the event.

Police spotted four young women drinking in a parking lot, and "none of them was even 17," he said.

Feeney said the town and the stadium needs to do a better job of getting the word out to young people that if they do not have a ticket to the show they cannot get into the parking lot.

"A lot more kids want to show up and just go to the party. They are not there for the music," he said.

Feeney said some of the traffic problems may be related to delays getting vehicles into the parking lots because tickets are being checked at the entrances.

http://www.thesunchronicle.com/articles/2008/07/29/news/3464614.txt

·
Registered
779 Posts
The sad thing is this thing makes a boatload of money...it won't go far....but there was more staff there this year versus last so they had the people to hook them up....and it even gave the Sheriffs a chance to drive fast with their blue lighted van and threaten people with getting locked up just like real police.....even though they were in the wrong county.. but why should that stop them...
I think last years arrests would have swamped this years but there wasn't enough manpower to do it. I bet a bunch still got bumps, bruises, and scars though still...haha

You knowthe more I look at that picture the more it bothers me...not only were they in a secure area made specifically for MSP mounted unit under direction of Mr. Kraft himself....but every shithead in civies kept trying to get in and see his "buddy" in that van..and not only did they step on their meat once with my boss by helping themselves but we had to keep tossing people out of this secure area....my long point here being....that part of the bus was not visible from outside the fences..so either they let someone in our area while we were out working or they took it themselves for the paper...HAHA....LOSERS

1 - 20 of 33 Posts