Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there work nights or split shifts that have trouble sleeping when they get home? Looking for some 'healthy' suggestions to help me fall asleep quicker. Working out after shift just amps me up more and I'm not at the stage in my life where I will drink alone! LOL

·
Registered
65 Posts
A cheap natural herbal supplement called valerian root (used as a sleep aid and relaxation)available at GNC for about $10-15 a bottle. The recommended dose is 1 capsule (1000 mg)..........but taking 4 at a time also works. I like these because I wake up rested and refreshed and have not experienced the groggy hang over feeling and headache that I got from over the counter sleep aids.

·
Registered
78 Posts
You tried a walk or doing some yard work...splitting wood,raking leaves,washing the windows. I have been on the overnights for almost eight years. Everyday I go home I talk a walk. Really helps me. Good luck, hope you get some solid rest.
Ogzee28:sleep:

kokid said:
Anyone out there work nights or split shifts that have trouble sleeping when they get home? Looking for some 'healthy' suggestions to help me fall asleep quicker. Working out after shift just amps me up more and I'm not at the stage in my life where I will drink alone! LOL

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Until recently, I had worked the dog watch for most of my career (27 years). I would still be on mids if that schedule were available to me. When you get home, do not go to bed...continue to march and use as much of the daylight as you are able: work around the house, do the shopping/laundry, etc. Go to bed in the afternoon...you will eventually get into a routine where sleep will not be a problem. You must be consistent: if you get used to staying awake after work, you will not have to continually alter your schedule for court, details, etc.

Think about it...how many day-donuts go home after work and go to bed? Nobody who works days does that...maybe 4-12 folks do, but that is doable and reasonable. The dog watch is not a shift...it is a way of life. Some folks can do it (and even prefer it), and some can't.

The up-side is that you can get your errands done without having to stand in line with the lemmings:-& ...further, if you have a rotating schedule of days off, you will not be trying to get stuff done when the all the lemmings are: the rotten civilian weekend!:)

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
dcs2244 said:
Until recently, I had worked the dog watch for most of my career (27 years). I would still be on mids if that schedule were available to me. When you get home, do not go to bed...continue to march and use as much of the daylight as you are able: work around the house, do the shopping/laundry, etc. Go to bed in the afternoon...you will eventually get into a routine where sleep will not be a problem. You must be consistent: if you get used to staying awake after work, you will not have to continually alter your schedule for court, details, etc.

Think about it...how many day-donuts go home after work and go to bed? Nobody who works days does that...maybe 4-12 folks do, but that is doable and reasonable. The dog watch is not a shift...it is a way of life. Some folks can do it (and even prefer it), and some can't.

The up-side is that you can get your errands done without having to stand in line with the lemmings:-& ...further, if you have a rotating schedule of days off, you will not be trying to get stuff done when the all the lemmings are: the rotten civilian weekend!:)
Five years on midnights for me, and I agree, this is the best advice . I wish someone had told me this four years ago.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guys, thanks for all the advice. I will definitely try the valerian root. My shift is not straight mid's, it's a last half then a first half...so I come home at 0800hrs and return at 1600hrs. I like the shift because I get two tours done in 24hrs but coming off the first half I am jacked up. I've been doing this for my whole career (7yrs) and wouldn't change the shift b/c that's when the good stuff happens. Thanks again, Kokid

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I work a 4/2 schedule now, consisting of two eves, two days. I still haven't found a good 'sleep system' for this schedule...it is killing me...plus the "on call" every fourth week...it stinks...send me back to mids. If anyone has a good routine for this schedule, please tell me.

·
Thread Killa
6,056 Posts
I know it sounds ghey but yoga...it will help you relax, even if you don't get into the bendy parts...just the relaxation...stuff...I use the yoga relaxation technique when flying and I can fall asleep before the plane takes off.

Stress and Sleep stuff

·
Woggalicious!
277 Posts
KO,
Read the drugstore.com description in full of the Valerian Root. When they add a note about something having a pungent odor, I'd be curious as to how it manifests itself. Through Sweatglands? Breath? Gaseous expulsion?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.