Massachusetts Cop Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anybody ever get sponsored for a F/T academy and pay their own way? If so how does that work?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So they don't allow Departments to sponsor you anymore if your willing to pay? Do you know when and why they stopped it?

·
Registered
884 Posts
At this time the Municipal Police Training Council (former MCJTC) is no longer allowing self-sponsorships. Looks like you might wanna take the next civil circus exam in-order to get on the job. I hope your a veteran.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sure I'll just take the exam again. Maybe I'll score 100% again and still not get a call. I'm not bitter though. Note: **Sarcasm lost in email**

·
Registered
13 Posts
The Lowell Police Academy still takes self sponsors. I'm not sure on the MBTA they used to but i'm not sure anymore. Anyways good luck

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Its also seems its next to impossible to get into an R/I course unless you're employed by the department you want to sponsor you or get on an auxiliary department and have them sponsor you... not that I'm complaining- the ONLY way to get into the NH academy-- full or part-time --is by being employed by a police department.

·
Subscribing Member
2,201 Posts
Dam, I'm glad I started when I did, its just getting more and more difficult to get a leg up in this dam state. Good luck to ya Ponyboy.

·
Subscribing Member
1,316 Posts
yeah well when MA opened up the floof gates to self sponsors it created a situation that now puts more qualified applicants than there are positions, PD's can afford to require academy trained. it also has to do with the dollar, this way the town doesn't have to fit the bill to send a rook to the F/T academy which makes all these small towns that always have budget problems very happy. the problem is that it will take years for it to even out where there will not be a academy prereq in 90% of all job postings

·
Registered
109 Posts
A lot of chiefs were puting anyone through the academy with out doing background checks, now there are an abundence of people with the full time academy who cant get jobs because of skeletons in the closet. I now of three Departmet's that have been trying to hire FT officers since last July

·
Subscribing Member
4,324 Posts
Radio1";p="58241 said:
The Lowell Police Academy still takes self sponsors. I'm not sure on the MBTA they used to but i'm not sure anymore. Anyways good luck
That is not correct. The MBTA and Lowell Academy adopted the new MPTC rules and regulations and do not accept self sponsors. However those two will allow FT campus police officers, Environmental PD, B&M Railroad PD,MSPCA PD and some other departments as long as you are FT.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Masscops Captain,

So if I am a fulltime Campus Police Officer Lowell will accept me? What about Campus Police at a Hospital?

·
Chapter 90 Enforcer
3,299 Posts
ponyboy";p="58440 said:
Masscops Captain,

So if I am a fulltime Campus Police Officer Lowell will accept me? What about Campus Police at a Hospital?
Campus Police is Campus Police. You get SSPO Powers at a Hospital because your are considered a campus PO

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.