Getting College Credit For Academy | MassCops

Getting College Credit For Academy

Discussion in 'Law Enforcement Education & Training Questions' started by FutureBosnianOfficer, Dec 26, 2015.

1. FutureBosnianOfficer

FutureBosnianOfficer MassCops Member

I know there is a post from 2014 that asks the same thing but it didn't really have any clear answers.

Does anyone know if the Reserve/Intermittent academy can be used for college credit? My school said the Fire Academy was approved but no one ever tried to have the police academy approved as well.

Thank you!

2. mpd61

mpd61 Retired Fed, Active Special

because a VERY FEW colleges, pre-2004, were caught offering credit for questionable academic courses, leading to a big story in the Globe,
    If you're in a hurry.. go to Curry LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Goose and Ghost12345 like this.
  3. MiamiVice

MiamiVice MassCops Member

Umass Amherst university without walls online bachelor's will.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

4. MiamiVice

MiamiVice MassCops Member

I'm starting it in a few weeks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

5. hogie1

hogie1 New Member

Try Columbia Southern University online. Feds will accept, but no good in Mass for Civil Service Promotional education/experience points because only national accreditation, not regional accreditation.

Ghost12345 likes this.
  6. the42cop

the42cop MassCops Member

There are lots of regionally accredited online schools out there who do accept credits from the academy. I got my BA from American Military University (regionally accredited). It was a great experience, especially since all of the professors are actually employed in the field and don't just read about it in some other academic's erroneous book.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Ghost12345 likes this.
  7. j809

j809 Subscribing Member

When I went to Curry they gave me 9 credits for the full time academy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ghost12345 likes this.
  8. USM C-2

USM C-2 MassCops Member

I got my Masters there in 2000. It wasn't as difficult as my BS from Northeastern... which was itself the cause of reform in the late 80's or early 90's for offering no-show classes, exposed by the Boston Globe Spotlight team. Upon reflection, if you just want the Quinn Bill, go with whatever is easiest. If you want a real education and/or have thoughts of using it later on (perhaps to teach in retirement, or to go further in education) then get a degree from a program that is widely respected.

9. santana

santana MassCops Member

Fisher College offered up to 60 credits for police academy and training in 2016. It may have been a carrot to recruit people at the time, but definitely worth checking on.

It was 8 week programs with some online classes available.