Massachusetts Cop Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Subscribing Member
7,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A carjacking suspect was shot and killed by a DeKalb County, GA police officer early Thursday along I-85 in northeast Atlanta, police said.
The incident shut down the southbound lanes of the busy highway for about three hours, but the interstate was reopened in time for the mornining.
The chain of events leading to the shooting began with a 12:30 a.m. carjacking at the MARTA Doraville station, Atlanta police Lt. Keith Meadows said.
Meadows said a man carjacked a MARTA employee and took the MARTA truck the worker was driving.
About 45 minutes later, the suspect wrecked the stolen truck, crashing into a bridge support at the Lindbergh Drive exit off I-85 southbound, Meadows said. The man got out of the truck and walked back up the Lindbergh exit onto I-85 south, walking northward.
Meadows said a DeKalb County police officer "saw him walking down the interstate, waving his arms."
The DeKalb officer "tried to intercept him so he wouldn't get hit by a vehicle," Meadows said.
"When the officer got out of his car, the individual charged him," Meadows said. "They got into a physical altercation, and at some point, the individual tried to get inside the officer's patrol car."
The suspect then grabbed the officer's gun, and the two struggled over the weapon, according to Meadows.
"The officer ended up discharging the weapon a couple of times, fatally injuring the suspect," he said.
The suspect, who Meadows said appeared to be in his mid-30s, was carrying no ID and has not been identified. The DeKalb officer's name has not been released.
Meadows said all southbound lanes of I-85 were closed from about 1:20 a.m. until around 4:30.
ATLANTA CONSTITUTION

1 - 1 of 1 Posts