Fundraiser set for officer who was fire victim | MassCops

Fundraiser set for officer who was fire victim

Discussion in 'Fundraisers & Charity Events' started by kwflatbed, Oct 25, 2009.

1. kwflatbed

kwflatbed MassCops Angel Staff Member

MILLBURY — The cause of an Oct. 16 fire that destroyed a local police officer’s home is under investigation by the state fire marshal’s office, although the blaze is not thought to be of suspicious origin.

Meanwhile, the Millbury Police Association is holding a fundraiser to help defray the cost of replacing Officer Robert J. Guyan’s belongings, including clothes, toys and baby items that belonged to his 8-month-old daughter, Lorianna Rose.

The family’s two dogs were seriously injured in the blaze and recovered at the Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine at Tufts University in Grafton.

Money raised will also help pay for the dogs’ medical costs.

According to a flier from the police association, Officer Guyan, a six-year veteran of the force and a Marine who served in Operation Desert Storm, will recover most of the costs of rebuilding and refurnishing the house through his homeowners insurance.

The fundraiser, which is being organized by family, friends and co-workers, will pay for items not covered by insurance.

The fundraiser will begin at 7 p.m. Nov. 20 at the VFW Post, 16 South Main St.

Tickets cost $20 and will include food, music, comedy, raffles and prizes donated by local businesses.

Tickets are available at the police station or by calling (508) 865-3521.

A fund has also been created. Donations may be sent to the Robert J. Guyan Fund at Millbury Credit Union, 50 Main St., Millbury, MA, 01527 or through the Police Department.

Telegram.com - A product of the Worcester Telegram & Gazette

2. fra444

fra444 MassCops Member

We may have toys to ship that little one.

3. 7costanza

7costanza Supporting Member

I hope I just made it sticky....im new at this;)

4. Nyla

Nyla MassCops Member

Does anyone know if there's anything online for this officer's fundraising/donations/registeries or anything. I would love to help...

Thx ^^

5. Nyla

Nyla MassCops Member

Thanks. I caught that one and read the T&G article too....but is there perhaps a website or link to a paypal acct that can be used to donate funds or send gifts to the child. I'm a civvie. I didn't want to just walk into the department with a bunch of stuff to drop off. Thanks for the help ^^

6. fra444

fra444 MassCops Member

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! :L: :L: :L: LM I know you are hoping that is a pic of her she is using for her Av with this resonse! You have never been that kind to anyone with under 1000 posts!!!!

7. StbbrnMedic

StbbrnMedic fraggle tamer

Nyla, I'm sure if you go walking into the station with items to donate they won't give you a hard time, especially if it's easy to handle. In other words in neat boxes and such.

(figured I used the words hard and handle so I should make myself clear before I get some teen boy comments ;) )

8. fra444

fra444 MassCops Member

Got yourself a little over excited here didnt ya?!?! :whistle: :p

9. Nyla

Nyla MassCops Member

Thanks for the advice Stbbrn ^^

10. fra444

fra444 MassCops Member

OK OK OK OK!!!!!!! Now that I see Nyla's new Sig Line I can endorse her posting on this site!!!!

I like............BIG BUSTS and I can not lie!! You other coppers can deny!

11. StbbrnMedic

StbbrnMedic fraggle tamer

So what's it mean that I find this funny?!? LOL
    Guess there's a reason we're together, huh??? :rolleyes:

You are very welcome hun.

12. Nyla

Nyla MassCops Member

You two are sweet. thanks ^^

13. frapmpd24

frapmpd24 Senior Member

Thanks for your help LawMan3, I didn't even notice the thread on here. Very much appreciated! As previously stated Officer Guyan is a great guy, not to mention co-worker and academy classmate. Any help would be very much appreciated, in whatever form of kindness or outreach that may be. Thank you for the sticky 7costanza, that helps spread the word too!

Nyla, unfortunately there is no PayPal account, (although I will mention it to the powers to be :D). Right now it is simply the fund through the Millbury Federal Credit Union, which has branches in Millbury, Worcester (Greendale and Webster Sq.), Auburn, and Grafton. There have also been people dropping off donations at the station, which are deposited into aforementioned account that the union has set up as well as purchasing tickets for the fundraiser.

StbbrnMedic is absolutely right, you can walk in to the station and no body will give you a hard time, I can assure you of that, especially if your a night owl and come in between Midnight and 8AM ;). The officers and dispatchers of the department are trying to lend a hand to our co-worker and open to the ideas of those who have it in their heart to show some generosity. Officer Nicholas Fortunato is the union contact during the day at 508-865-3521, but anyone officer or dispatcher on-duty can begin to point you in the right direction if you come in or call, regardless of what shift.

Feel free to PM me with information, that would be a very nice gesture.

If anyone else has any further questions please send me a message.

Thanks again!
    frapmpd24

Benefit Information